Anthony Braxton

7/4

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Just listened to the 2LP set on America 'Saxophone Improvisations Series F' twice through and I'm blown away. Could it be my favourite Brax so far? The Philip Glass dedicated track on the final side is brilliant. Solo alto minimalism, worrying small phrases, absolute bliss.

I am renewed in my Braxton search.

A fantastic album. My favourite of the solo sax albums. I recall reading somewhere the engineer was being a real dick during the recording.

New on Leo:

Anthony Braxton Quartet ( Moscow ) 2008

Composition 367b

http://www.leorecords.com/?m=select&id=CD_LR_518

"Performed in Moscow on June 29, 2008 with Anthony Braxton on sopranino, soprano, alto saxophone and contrabass clarinet, Taylor Ho Bynum on cornet, flugelhorn, piccolo and bass trumpets, Mary Halvorson on electric guitar and Katherine Young on bassoon, to the ecstatic Russian audience, this is one of the best Mr. Braxton¹s performances ever both in terms of music and quality of recording. If it doesn¹t become an all-time classic I shall swallow my tongue."

• 1 month later...

Just noticed an update to Hathut's website.

Willisau (Quartet) 1991 is there on the "upcoming releases" list...right where it's been for the last two years at least. However, there's a change! Now it's on the list twice, and with a footnote:

Anthony Braxton · Willisau (Quartet) 1991) re-issue in two 2-CD sets!

Giving some credence to my random, unsupported theory that the reason it's taken so long to reissue this one is Werner couldn't figure out how to fit four discs into one of the orange hatOLOGY sleeves.

I wonder if it, er...they, will be out in 2009?

Edited by clarke68

Just noticed an update to Hathut's website.

Willisau (Quartet) 1991 is there on the "upcoming releases" list...right where it's been for the last two years at least. However, there's a change! Now it's on the list twice, and with a footnote:

Anthony Braxton · Willisau (Quartet) 1991) re-issue in two 2-CD sets!

Giving some credence to my random, unsupported theory that the reason it's taken so long to reissue this one is Werner couldn't figure out how to fit four discs into one of the orange hatOLOGY sleeves.

I wonder if it, er...they, will be out in 2009?

Well, the Steve Lacy/Mal Waldron 4-disc set fits in two sleeves encased in a slip-cover. Why not repeat that packaging?

Some more new releases:

Creative Orchestra (Guelph) 2007 on Spool, Quartet (Moscow) 2008 on Leo and now Toronto (Duets) 2007 with Kyle Brenders on Barnyard.

And while the big news has been the release of the Mosaic box, 2008 has also seen Beyond Quantum on Tzadik, Nine Compositions (DVD) 2003, Quartet (GTM) 2006 on Important, Four Improvisations (Duo) 2007 with Joe Morris and the 9-CD Piano Music (1968-2000) box featuring Genevieve Foccroulle.

Of the new stuff, I’ve only heard the Moscow set, a Diamond Curtain Wall date with Braxton on reeds and laptop, Taylor Ho Bynum on brass, Mary Halvorson on guitar and Katherine Young on bassoon. Fantastic stuff, rivalling Quartet (GTM) 2006 for my favourite Braxton release of 2008. Young has an interesting bassoon sound—it sounds like an arco bass at times.

Of the Diamond Curtain Wall releases, I’ve only heard this and the Ulrichsberg date on Leo. How is the Victo and the other Leo?

Just got a new Braxton LP from ebay, seems to be a selection of stuff from 1971 on the Italian Giants of Jazz label featuring some quartet tracks, a duo, a solo and 5 tubas! Good buy it now price too.

Can't wait for it to come now.

Also, incase anyone didn't know, Black Saint have been added to eMusic UK so there's a whole load of Braxton to be had there. I already have the Monk album and the Creative Orchestra album and they are both corking.

Just got a new Braxton LP from ebay, seems to be a selection of stuff from 1971 on the Italian Giants of Jazz label featuring some quartet tracks, a duo, a solo and 5 tubas! Good buy it now price too.

That's a mid-1980s reissue of half of the tracks that appeared on The Complete Braxton 1971.

That's a mid-1980s reissue of half of the tracks that appeared on The Complete Braxton 1971.

Any good?

Hasn't come yet...

Any good?

Hasn't come yet...

It's the material that was left off the Braxton Mosaic. :tup

• 2 weeks later...

This just in from Jazz Loft...

(typos aren't my doing - bc)

Anthony Braxton

Standards (Brussels) 2006

Recorded November 23-26, 2006 live at PP Cafe, Brussels, Belgium.

This set comes in an elegant cartboard 6 cds box including a 26 pages booklet with three little essays by italian poet and writer Erika Dagnino:

- "Positions for listening"

- "Real space and dislocation"

- "A possible anthropogony"

Detailed bios and quotes by featured musicians and an essay by co-producer Gianni Mimmo of Amirani records. Imported from Italy.

ARTISTS

Anthony Braxton (saxophones); Alessandro Giachero (piano); Antonio Borghini (double bass); Cristiano Calcagnile (drums)

TRACKS

CD 1:

-FOREST FLOWER(Charles Llooyd)

-IT'S YOU OR NO ONE (j.Styne)

-DARN THAT DREAM (Van Heusen)

-improvisation n.1

-VERY EARLY (Evans)

-IF I SHOULD LODE YOU (Robin /Ranger)

CD 2:

-VIRGO (take 2) (Shorter)

-EMBARCADERO (Desmond)

-NIGHT DREAMER (Shorter)

-IT NEVER ENTERED MY MIND (Rodgers/Hart)

-FINE AND DANDY (James/Swift)

-MONK'S MOOD (Monk)

CD 3:

-THREE LITTLE WORDS (Ruby)

-WAVE (Jobim)

-RUBY MY DEAR (Monk)

-MEAN TO ME (Waller)

-AFTERNOON IN PARIS (Lewis)

-WHAT'S NEW (Haggart)

CD 4:

-ALICE IN WONDERLAND ( F-ain/Hilliard)

-AH LEU CHA (Parker)

-FOR ALL WE KNOW ( Coots)

-Improvisation n0.2

-TADD'S DELIGTH (Dameron)

-ALL OF YOU (Porter)

CD 5:

-I'M OLD FASHIONED (Kern)

-EXX-THETICS (Russell)

-HOW LITTLE WE KNOW (Springer/Leigh)

-OUT TO LUNCH (Dolphy)

-EARLY AUTUMN (Herman)

-STAR EYES (De Paul)

CD 6:

-ISRAEL (Carisi)

-THESE FOOLISH THINGS (Strachey/Link/Marvell)

-Improvisation no.3

-STRIKE UP THE BAND (Gershwin)

-YOU'RE MY THRILL ((Clare/Gorney)

-VIRGO (take 1) (Shorter)

I can't keep up. 2008 releases so far include:

Creative Orchestra (Guelph) 2007 (Spool)

Quartet (Moscow) 2008 (Leo)

Toronto (Duets) 2007 (Barnyard) with Kyle Brenders

The Complete Arista Recordings of Anthony Braxton (Mosaic, 8-CD)

Beyond Quantum (Tzadik)

Nine Compositions (DVD) 2003 (Rastascan, audio DVD)

Quartet (GTM) 2006 (Important, 4-CD)

Four Improvisations (Duo) 2007 (Clean Feed, 4-CD) with Joe Morris

Piano Music (1968-2000) (Leo, 9-CD, ltd ed) perf. by Genevieve Foccroulle

I have Quartet (GTM) 2006 (which is excellent), Nine Compositions (DVD) 2003, the Tzadik (very good) and the excellent Quartet (Moscow) 2008 (Leo).

I think I'm going to have to skip this one. The Braxton list linked to the blog of a guy who went to several of those shows, and he thought the whole run would make for a fine single CD. Plus the band is a pickup group of unknown Italians (the blogger was unimpressed by the drummer).

Edited by Hoppy T. Frog

Is anyone (beyond Bernie Madoff) keeping up with all the Braxton issues? :blink:

been wondering the same myself.

It took me over a year to really absorb some of the Arista material where I was on a personal level with it.

I'm on a different continuum right now anyway.........

:ph34r:

Edited by shrugs