Anthony Braxton

7/4

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sidenote: maybe someday while Anthony is still alive, Werner X. will figure out that he can make more $$$ selling CDs that people actually want to buy than sitting on them and putting out new ones nobody (mostly rightly) gives a damn about?

Box up the complete Hat Cage and Feldman recordings for those interested while one is at it and voila-- decent amount of $$$, a rush of mostly fulsome international press etc.

I think everyone can live without the Charlie Parker Project (mediocre idea executed at same level), most of the rest still merit wide dissemination etc.

Also, note AB's 1985 chops, & slim George Lewis.

Edited by MomsMobley

sidenote: maybe someday while Anthony is still alive, Werner X. will figure out that he can make more $$$ selling CDs that people actually want to buy than sitting on them and putting out new ones nobody (mostly rightly) gives a damn about?

Box up the complete Hat Cage and Feldman recordings for those interested while one is at it and voila-- decent amount of $$$, a rush of mostly fulsome international press etc.

this is true.

Sigh. I am sure people will love being at this event, but I guess for me the romanticism of Braxton's supposed exclusion or marginality - as in the articles linked - is just boring and wrong. From what I have heard, his writing for voice is imitative and not so interesting. Whether he can write for theatre I don't know. Maybe someone who knows modern and contemporary opera inside out needs to write about this, but someone who wants to say AB is 'blasting opera forward' is speaking from no base whatsoever, as far as I can make out. I guess if this brings people to opera it's all good.

It's too bad Frank Zappa isn't around, FZ & AB dialogues on composition would be fantastic, lots of like influences, 'retructuring' of respective local elements etc tho' FZ was more into Cage than Stockhausen... Curious about AB and Varese, whose name doesn't come up as much as Schoenberg, Berg, Webern etc. (Insert paragraph on interesting 2nd Viennese students, Egon Wellesz, Nikos Skalkotas etc etc).

Great great AB + Stewart Gillmor

MI0001614178.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Seems to be out of print but maybe if folks ask Leo Feigin... Cover art is a bit sloppy, yes, but it's fantastic to hear these guys on this repertroire, doesn't make a Braxton + Vince Giordano &/or Ken Peplowksi collaboration seem like a bad idea. If a certain # of the 'standards' quartets can stretch a little long sometimes, these do not-- if anything they're too short.

I can't seem to find any clips from this on youtube but if anyone thought it was an AB tradition joke gone too far, think again.

file under Schnabel's Mozart pc cadenzas!!!

Edited by MomsMobley