Anthony Braxton

7/4

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great record, I'm a big fan. "Skylark" is gorgeous. The opening "Rosetta" is one of my favorite AB performances. Played straight on soprano until the end where he shreds the tune to ribbons.

Always happy to follow a recommendation like that - especially knowing how highly you rate AB, colinmce

Just snaffled a second hand copy off amazon.uk for £10. Still another one available

Great record, I'm a big fan. "Skylark" is gorgeous. The opening "Rosetta" is one of my favorite AB performances. Played straight on soprano until the end where he shreds the tune to ribbons.

Always happy to follow a recommendation like that - especially knowing how highly you rate AB, colinmce

Just snaffled a second hand copy off amazon.uk for £10. Still another one available

I got rid of mine years ago, I thought it was pretty silly, but I don't remember any of it now. Not as bad as 100-CD "standards" sets on Leo that would follow (which killed remainders of interest I had in Braxton), in any case.

This reminds me that I still have a lot of Braxton I doubt I will ever listen to. Anybody's interested in Solo NYC (2002) on Parallactic, for example? Send me a PM.

Edited by Д.Д.

Braxton.jpg

One of my favourite Braxton albums, so good.

I was lucky enough to be there that night...one of the single most inspirational musical experiences I've ever had! Blew my 23-year old brain...

Me too but my mind was considerably older.....

Always blows my mind thinking about what it must have been like to actually have been at shows like this, and to have said show on CD.

Braxton.jpg

One of my favourite Braxton albums, so good.

I was lucky enough to be there that night...one of the single most inspirational musical experiences I've ever had! Blew my 23-year old brain...

Me too but my mind was considerably older.....

I've returned to this concert repeatedly ,(recorded off the radio), hadn't released that I'd been released officially until now.

I got rid of mine years ago, I thought it was pretty silly, but I don't remember any of it now. Not as bad as 100-CD "standards" sets on Leo that would follow (which killed remainders of interest I had in Braxton), in any case.

This reminds me that I still have a lot of Braxton I doubt I will ever listen to. Anybody's interested in Solo NYC (2002) on Parallactic, for example? Send me a PM.

Having trouble sending you a PM, but if the CD is available, I'm interested.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure that is what the folks want...well at least not this one.

I'm a big AB fan and like to try and keep abreast of the developments in his music but I simply don't have the resources to purchase big sets on even a semi-regular basis. I do get frustrated by releases like this as I wonder who they really serve in the end. Obviously AB has every right to document his music in the way that he wishes and to release it in whichever format but I wonder how many of his 'friendly experiencers' miss out because of his choices.

Further up thread there's discussion of how the shift to annual membership of Tricentric lost the foundation some subcribers because of the financial impact of the change. If any part of the process of releasing material is to enable it to be heard by the widest audince (maybe that's not a consideration) then someone needs to take a look at how it's currently done.

Yes, this is a bit of a rant - a rant born of the frustration of not hearning what I'd like to - entirely selfish and as a fan I have no right to dicate but I can moan!

Four distinctive and wonderful improvisers, but I would have to save the box for retirement listening (that is if I can retire). I can barely make it through a Mosaic anymore (time and attention, not quality-related), and that is starting to bum me out.

Yes, the lack of time to listen is becoming almost as big a consideration as budget.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the 4 CD set with Rainey & Fujiwara.

I saw that box at the Braxton concert but didn't pull the trigger :blush: (now you have to be a member to get it). Anyway, would still like to get it. Would be interested in reactions to it. One question I had about it was whether Braxton played duos with each drummer, or with both drummers at the same time, since the album is called "Trio (New Haven) 2013," or both? I've not seen that clarified anywhere.

I saw that box at the Braxton concert but didn't pull the trigger :blush: (now you have to be a member to get it). Anyway, would still like to get it. Would be interested in reactions to it. One question I had about it was whether Braxton played duos with each drummer, or with both drummers at the same time, since the album is called "Trio (New Haven) 2013," or both? I've not seen that clarified anywhere.

It's a Trio. They al play together.

I got the new 12 cd set a few days ago. That one is all duets.

I'm truly a diehard Braxton fan, and for me his playing is my favorite aspect of his work. We get to hear lots of him on these smaller groupings.

Carville

Member of what?

The 4 CD set is available for pre-sale (June 10 release) at Amazon & CD Universe.