Anthony Braxton

7/4

13 hours ago, sonnyhill said:

The Tri-Centric Foundation recently posted two concerts on Souncloud: one from 1976 from Graz, Austria with AB, George Lewis, Dave Holland, and Barry Altschul and another from Avignon, France with AB, Kenny Wheeler, Dave Holland, and Barry Altshcul. 

Thank you for posting.  I was entirely unaware of the Tri-Centric Foundation having a presence on Soundcloud.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

He must think that all his "friendly experiences" are rolling in £ or $. I would have bought any number of 2CD set versions of these recent boxes.

It surprises me that all the recent collaborations are so successful to merit such documentation. But maybe that's not the criterion.

But he knows what he wants to release and good luck to him if he's making money from them. He's done enough in my book to do what he wants unquestioned by the likes of me.

OTOH...long game. It's documented, "in the wild". Unlike the ancient civilizations, there will be NO doubt who this person was and what they did. Nobody creating the Braxton Historical Narrative but for Braxton Himself.

For now, anyway. Ancient's a long time ago, and a long time away. Shit happens between now and then.

But until it does, don't judge a long-gamer by standards with which he's not engaging.

On 5/14/2020 at 1:28 PM, mjzee said:

Braxton's beyond parody at this point.  Oh, I'm sorry, he's a genius.

His prose certainly is well beyond parody, in a bad way (just to be clear).  But then Ornette's prose is a little weird too.  didn't stop either of them from making some amazing music.  Hundred years from now, what will folks think - will they be glad for Braxton's exhaustive documentation?

• 3 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, JSngry said:

75 seems kinda young these days...

I was just thinking of this point a couple days ago, though not in relation to Braxton. I was listening (again) to Earl Hines' brilliant Quintessential Earl Hines (1970) and realized that he was just 67 when he recorded it. That seemed ancient at the time. By comparison, Chick turns 79 next week, and Herbie turned 80 in April. 

Edited by Mark Stryker

• 2 years later...

This thread is nearly 19 years old and the early pages are pretty funny/interesting. People can get bitchy as hell talking about music and musicians. Makes for an entertaining read at least. 

Hate that I'm only coming around to enjoy is music at this stage with the man turning 78 later this year. Makes me think JSngry's on point with the documentation of his output as I wouldn't doubt he's thinking about legacy and keeping the Tri-Centric Foundation going into the future. Long game indeed. For Johnny-come-lately's like myself, that's a great thing. 

Regarding the Braxton Bootleg material, is all of that available via bandcamp? I've seen a few but nothing like what's there on that discogs page. 

• 10 months later...

Latest Braxton box available from Tri Centric as a fundraiser perk

https://fundrazr.com/tricentric-10-comp-lorraine?ref=ab_4DGmW9 

Two different groups, trio and quartet. I ordered.

On 5/14/2020 at 9:39 PM, mjazzg said:

He must think that all his "friendly experiences" are rolling in £ or $. I would have bought any number of 2CD set versions of these recent boxes.

It surprises me that all the recent collaborations are so successful to merit such documentation. But maybe that's not the criterion.

But he knows what he wants to release and good luck to him if he's making money from them. He's done enough in my book to do what he wants unquestioned by the likes of me.

Just reading back through the thread and see I wasn't overly impressed by box set releases nearly four years ago, lives and opinions change 😃

Edited by mjazzg

22 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Latest Braxton box available from Tri Centric as a fundraiser perk

https://fundrazr.com/tricentric-10-comp-lorraine?ref=ab_4DGmW9 

Two different groups, trio and quartet. I ordered.

Just reading back through the thread and see I wasn't overly impressed by box set releases nearly four years ago, lives and opinions change 😃

I mixed you up with mjzee!