Anthony Braxton

7/4

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll add that before 20/23 Standards, I didn't really like Braxton doing standards. Now I want to get a copy of Nine Compositions (Hill) 2000.

If you don't already have it, you should check out 8 Standards (wesleyan) 2001. It's the same band as on 20/23 Standards. I imagine you would like it just fine. What do you think of Kevin O'Neil? I really like his approach as both an accompanist and soloist

I'll add that before 20/23 Standards, I didn't really like Braxton doing standards. Now I want to get a copy of Nine Compositions (Hill) 2000.

If you don't already have it, you should check out 8 Standards (wesleyan) 2001. It's the same band as on 20/23 Standards. I imagine you would like it just fine.

I got that one after hearing 23. Fits right in. :D

What do you think of Kevin O'Neil?  I really like his approach as both an accompanist and soloist

I like him. He's cool, it works.

Yeah he works for me too. One of the many cool things about him IMO is that he coaxes a lot of interesting sounds out of that guitar. As far as I can tell he's not doing it via pedals or other accessories (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that). It truly just seems to be his unique approach and technique. I sometimes think, if Eric Dolphy played guitar, he would have sounded like Kevin O'Neil.

How is the relatively recent GTM on Delmark (is it Six Compositions (2000)?)

I'm curious to hear a piano quartet do GTM.

I really enjoyed the GTM box on Ratascan (some of the compositions more than others, admittedly!).

Thanks!

p.s. my favourite standards by Braxton are the piano quartet and solo, although I'm increasingly keen on the volume with Hank Jones (is it 'In The Tradition'?).

How is the relatively recent GTM on Delmark (is it Six Compositions (2000)?)

I'm curious to hear a piano quartet do GTM.

I really enjoyed the GTM box on Ratascan (some of the compositions more than others, admittedly!).

Thanks!

p.s. my favourite standards by Braxton are the piano quartet and solo, although I'm increasingly keen on the volume with Hank Jones (is it 'In The Tradition'?).

The Delmark received mixed reviews but I like it.

The standards records with Hank Jones (they were on Magenta) always gave me the heebie jeebies.

I heard some of that Hill tribute on the radio a while back and it sounded GREAT!

Thanks for reminding me. Another disc I need to get.

Edited by Kalo

Thanks Chuck. I may well pick up that Delmark.

I wonder - were you ever tempted/in a position to record Braxton on your own label in the early days when he was still in Chicago?

Maybe the Hank Jones reflects my 'newcomer's awe' at Braxton. Maybe a few more years with his music and I'll get over it! I just really like that Warne Marsh tune they do at the end of the album...

I got 20 Standards the other day from Amazon U.K. Based on what I've heard so far, this is a stronger outing for Braxton than "23". I've only listened to a couple of the discs so far, but the intonation problems that plagued "23" seem to have been addressed. I haven't looked at the recording dates, so it's possible I could just be imagining things, but at first blush, Braxton just sounds more on top of his game. Kevin O'Neil, the guitarist on both these sets, remains a monster. I don't think I've ever heard anyone play quite like this, especially in the face of the challenge that is Anthony Braxton.

Up over and out.

I wonder - were you ever tempted/in a position to record Braxton on your own label in the early days when he was still in Chicago?

When I was starting at Delmark AB was in the army. When he returned I included him on the first Muhal Richard Abrams date - I quit my job before the first session but set it up. Though Koester and I were "enemies" at the time of the session, Muhal insisted I be a "guest" in the studio for the date.

Delmark then signed a contract with Braxton and he recorded for them 'til he left for France (and beyond, since he and Jarman sent back tapes for their duo date).

Anthony did play on a couple of Roscoe's sessions for me but that's it so far.

Last time I spoke to Anthony on the phone (while I was doing the For Alto reissue in 2000) he said "Hey, when am I going to get to do a Nessa?".

I hope to have the opportunity.

Jeez, people really like 20 Standards.....?? I dunno, I like about half of it. The heads are frightful though, enough so that I wish they just wouldn't bother playing them & just go right to the changes.

I really like the new one with Matt Bauder, 2 + 2 Compositions, on 482 Music. About half the Braxtonophiles I know like it a lot, half of them hate it.

I think Braxton and Leo Feigin would find the criticisms of "intonation problems"

quite humourous.

...or maybe not...(re: a recent Wire letter)

Brilliant recordings - both of them.

...and for a guy who is pretty sick of the guitar,

I really like Kevin O'Neil's style.

---

Now playing: Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Jeez, people really like 20 Standards.....??  I dunno, I like about half of it.  The heads are frightful though, enough so that I wish they just wouldn't bother playing them & just go right to the changes.

I like it. Real edgy heads, Braxton takes the standards to Mars. That's why it's fun.

Tuning issues...I tend to think that's what Braxton is going for.

As a composer/performer working with microtonal music for many years, I find it strange when someone tears into an artist's tuning. I don't see anybody ripping into Robert Johnson.

On a related note, over the years I've noticed critics on the net (no one here at the big O) going after Ron Carter on Dolphy's Out There. Carter and Dolphy were using quarter tones, get over it.

Jeez, people really like 20 Standards.....??  I dunno, I like about half of it.  The heads are frightful though, enough so that I wish they just wouldn't bother playing them & just go right to the changes.

I like it. Real edgy heads, Braxton takes the standards to Mars. That's why it's fun.

As a composer/performer working with microtonal music for many years, I find it strange when someone tears into an artist's tuning. I don't see anybody ripping into Robert Johnson.

On a related note, over the years I've noticed critics on the net (no one here at the big O) going after Ron Carter on Dolphy's Out There. Carter and Dolphy were using quarter tones, get over it.

Totally agree with David on this! You wanna slap the critics upside their heads and scream, "It's called character, folks!"

---

Now playing: Iancu Dumitrescu - Monades (gamma & epsilon)

Totally agree with David on this! You wanna slap the critics upside their heads and scream, "It's called character, folks!"

---

Now playing: Iancu Dumitrescu - Monades (gamma & epsilon)

Thanks. I noticed you on the cage list, we're on the same team.

Last time I spoke to Anthony on the phone (while I was doing the For Alto reissue in 2000) he said "Hey, when am I going to get to do a Nessa?".

I hope to have the opportunity.

Wow. That would be phenomenal to have that materialise (I'll be first in the queue!).

I'd personally be rather pleased with myself if I'd given Braxton the call for his first record date :)

On a different note, just thought I'd reiterate how much I like Graham Lock's 'Forces in Motion'. Picked it up and dipped into it again last night, and it's fascinating.

On a different note, just thought I'd reiterate how much I like Graham Lock's 'Forces in Motion'. Picked it up and dipped into it again.

I should read that again...and New Musical Figurations...and Blutopia...and all those liner notes. Great stuff, but there's a lot too read. :crazy:

The thing with Ron Carter on cello was that he was actually terribly sick for the Out There session so I gather the intonation problems were largely unintentional. This is also why he doesn't take many solos on that date.

Aside from intonation problems there's the minor problem that the heads are full of bum notes too, & in general, except for the tunes already well-established in Braxton's repertoire (e.g. "The Song Is You") it sounds like they're sight-reading heads from a fakebook. Which is indeed more or less what they did, I gather (see the liner notes). -- But as I've discovered it's futile to argue about this kind of stuff (witness Allen Lowe's comments about turned-around beats in the AOTW Hemingway thread & Reynolds' over-the-top response).

I've yet to be slapped upside the head, but there's always a first time....

Has anybody heard the new set of duets with Walter Frank (is that the name? I saw this in a store and can't remember)? Is it recommended?

Starts out a little uninspiring, then begins to really unfold nicely.

I wasn't sure what to expect, at first, but by the end I was pleasantly surprised

by the way that they work together. I may feel differently about the beginning later,

but I haven't had time to give it concentrated listening again.

For what it's worth, I had two people ask me during the broadcast

a few weeks ago how to get it.

(close on the name: "Franks")

---

Now playing: Luigi Nono - Due Espressioni

Edited by rostasi