Anthony Braxton

7/4

I have a reasonable collection of Braxton disks, but I haven't really listened to a lot of them in years.

Some favorites that stand out:

The Arista recordings (except For Four Orchestras, I'll have to revisit that someday).

Piano Music (Notated) 1968-1988,

Quartet (Dortmond) 1976,

Quartet (Santa Cruz) 1993,

Quintet (Basel) 1977: all on the Hat *** label.

The Creative Music Orchestra disks:

Creative Orchestra Music 1976 (Arista/RCA BLUEBIRD),

Creative Music Orchestra (Koln) 1978 (Hat Art) and

Eugene (1989) (Black Saint).

That's it for now, more in the future.

Edited by 7/4

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do I think?

I think he's brilliant. Visionary, even. A bit "mad scientist" (even though there's really no "madness" -of either variety- about him, but I think you know what I mean) at times, but never so much that I've ever had to say, "Dude, sorry. That's just TOO freakin' nuts!" NEVER.

Some of his projects "work" for me better than others, and there's no way in hell that I've been able to keep up with his voluminous output (I guess that Lee Konits is his hero in THAT way too!), but he's on the short list of people I listen to unhesitatingly, and on the even shorter list of people whose "failures" I find more provoking than many, MANY people's "triumphs".

There are a couple of his sessions that I have in my LP racks that I really should pull out more often. 'New York(Fall 1974)' and 'The Montreux/Berlin Concerts' 2LPs. Both Kenny Wheeler and George Lewis seem to fit with Braxton on the respective sessions, incredible stuff really. This Arista material is certainly overdue for re-assessment.

Edited by sidewinder

There are a couple of his sessions that I have in my LP racks that I really should pull out more often. 'New York(Fall 1974)' and 'The Montreux/Berlin Concerts' 2LPs. Both Kenny Wheeler and George Lewis seem to fit with Braxton on the respective sessions, incredible stuff really. This Arista material is certainly overdue for re-assessment.

Should be Mosaic!

What do I think?

I think he's brilliant. Visionary, even. A bit "mad scientist" (even though there's really no "madness" -of either variety- about him, but I think you know what I mean) at times, but never so much that I've ever had to say, "Dude, sorry. That's just TOO freakin' nuts!" NEVER.

Some of his projects "work" for me better than others, and there's no way in hell that I've been able to keep up with his voluminous output (I guess that Lee Konits is his hero in THAT way too!), but he's on the short list of people I listen to unhesitatingly, and on the even shorter list of people whose "failures" I find more provoking than many, MANY people's "triumphs".

I think he's amazing.

If there's 300 recordings, I own a hair above 1/6th. Can't keep up with it all!

I've only a handful of titles , but what I've heard I,ve been challenged & totally enjoyed.

I know there is far more about his music that I'll ever even begin to understand , but just at face value as entertainment his music hits the nail on the head for me.

Heres what I have

c4871928mr1.jpgf68607d6i1l.jpg

e87400fm1rk.jpge345026ogqm.jpgf77494qhkdr.jpg

g06901ezjgw.jpge56321xkjzt.jpg

Edited by Gary

I'm embarrased to say I only own two Braxton recordings. Dortmund (1976) and Basel (1977). I love both of them, but have yet to further explore his work. I was at a similar stage with Cecil Taylor two years ago and loved the process of exploring and learning more about his music. I look forward to the opportunity to do the same with Braxton.

I'll be keeping note of the recommendations posted here for future use.

Edited by John B

I'm embarrased to say I own two Braxton recordings. Dortmund (1976) and Basel (1977). I love both of them, but have yet to further explore his work. I was at a similar stage with Cecil Taylor two years ago and loved the process of exploring and learning more about his music. I look forward to the opportunity to do the same with Braxton.

I'll be keeping note of the recommendations posted here for future use.

But they're both great!

I'm interested in exploring Braxton as well. I own the 1985 Quartet recordings from London, Birmingham, and Coventry. I find them intriguing, and a bit perplexing, too. What do we think about starting elsewhere, perhaps with one of his standards recordings?

I'm just looking for the best way into the House of Braxton. Suggestions welcome!

Re: standards: try the Trio/Duo disc on Sackville--limited edition reissue. It has one of the classic Braxton standards performances, of "Embraceable You". I don't own this disc but I used to spin it a lot when I DJ'd & remember it vividly. Ted O'Reilly & John Norris picked this track to represent Braxton when they assembled their marvellous history of jazz for radio broadcast a few years back. -- I'm not a huge fan of AB's latterday standards records. The Charlie Parker set (now o/p) is rather good despite a lot of sloppiness: worth hearing. The same goes for the Monk album. I'm told the new 4CD set of standards is pretty good despite (again) some sloppy tracks.

In terms of recent Brax I'm quite fond of the recent Delmark disc Four Compositions (GTM) 2000. It's kinda funky in spots....

I find my opinion re the 4CD standards box (Leo) changing, as time is passing I seem more bothered by the sloppy tracks and REALLY wish they had been omitted to make a 2 or 3 CD set.

Then this rumor will be bad news: Braxton is supposed to be very happy with the music on the "23 Standards" set and is planning another four cd set to come out soon, the stuff that didn't make it. Don't know what label though.

I listened to this this morning: Anthony Braxton & Brett Larner - 11 Compositions (duo) 1995 (Leo)

Very nice, Brett plays Koto! At times he reminds me of Harry Partch on a Kithra. :P

This one is very nice ideed - in general, I prefer Braxton in duo/trio settings, solo also (don't care too much for his quartet (any quartet) or larger group performances - they are too cluttered and dense, IMO) and in more blowing (as opposed to "composed") mood.

Thus, the discs that Gary listed are among my favorite Braxton works.

I listened to this this morning: Anthony Braxton & Brett Larner - 11 Compositions (duo) 1995 (Leo)

Very nice, Brett plays Koto! At times he reminds me of Harry Partch on a Kithra.  :P

This one is very nice ideed - in general, I prefer Braxton in duo/trio settings, solo also (don't care too much for his quartet (any quartet) or larger group performances - they are too cluttered and dense, IMO) and in more blowing (as opposed to "composed") mood.

Thus, the discs that Gary listed are among my favorite Braxton works.

Interesting points.

Maybe that's why it took me so long to get into his work with Marilyn Crispell, I love it, but it's pretty dense material.

I find my opinion re the 4CD standards box (Leo) changing, as time is passing I seem more bothered by the sloppy tracks and REALLY wish they had been omitted to make a 2 or 3 CD set.

Then this rumor will be bad news: Braxton is supposed to be very happy with the music on the "23 Standards" set and is planning another four cd set to come out soon, the stuff that didn't make it. Don't know what label though.

I don't know if I'm getting this. I've been avoiding the Braxton plays Standards disks, but I'm intertested in hearing him with a guitar player.

I think I'll have to hear some tracks first.

I've been avoiding the Braxton plays Standards disks, but I'm intertested in hearing him with a guitar player.

You might want to try the CIMP discs doing the music of Andrew Hill and Wayne Shorter, which also feature O'Neil. Of the two, my favorite is Nine Compositions (Hill) 2000. I think those two are similar to Braxton's renditions of standards on the 4 CD Leo box.

I've been avoiding the Braxton plays Standards disks, but I'm intertested in hearing him with a guitar player.

You might want to try the CIMP discs doing the music of Andrew Hill and Wayne Shorter, which also feature O'Neil. Of the two, my favorite is Nine Compositions (Hill) 2000. I think those two are similar to Braxton's renditions of standards on the 4 CD Leo box.

I think I'll go by Downtown Music Gallery and have them play me some cuts. Thanks.

Edited by 7/4

I'm in the ending sections of Anthony Braxton and the Rova Saxophone Qt. - The Aggregate (Sound Aspects).

The third piece, Composition 129+ clocks in at 46:13 and I really wish there was more Braxton with a sax qt. Seems like the perfect enviroment.

I don't think there are any other disks like this with Braxton and a sax qt.

The first two pieces are also quite nice and written by two of the Rova guys.