Anthony Braxton

7/4

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I was flipping through Forces In Motion and was reminded: just what the he'll came of the massive solo box set that Locke recounts in the book? I don't have it in front of me but I'll check the details when I get home. Braxton recorded I think 8 or 10 LPs of solo saxophone music for release. The discography lists a label and tracklist but obviously this never came out. Where is this stuff and who owns it? THAT would be a major release.

I was flipping through Forces In Motion and was reminded: just what the hell came of the massive solo box set that Locke recounts in the book? I don't have it in front of me but I'll check the details when I get home. Braxton recorded I think 8 or 10 LPs of solo saxophone music for release. The discography lists a label and tracklist but obviously this never came out. Where is this stuff and who owns it? THAT would be a major release.

(pardon the accidental double post)

I was flipping through Forces In Motion and was reminded: just what the he'll came of the massive solo box set that Locke recounts in the book? I don't have it in front of me but I'll check the details when I get home. Braxton recorded I think 8 or 10 LPs of solo saxophone music for release. The discography lists a label and tracklist but obviously this never came out. Where is this stuff and who owns it? THAT would be a major release.

I was flipping through Forces In Motion and was reminded: just what the hell came of the massive solo box set that Locke recounts in the book? I don't have it in front of me but I'll check the details when I get home. Braxton recorded I think 8 or 10 LPs of solo saxophone music for release. The discography lists a label and tracklist but obviously this never came out. Where is this stuff and who owns it? THAT would be a major release.

(pardon the accidental double post)

From Jason Guthartz's Restructures site: http://www.restructures.net/BraxDisco/BraxDisco.htm

all information from Graham Lock (via personal e-mail, Apr-2005); he explains:

"In the summer of 1985 Braxton recorded approx 14 LPs worth of solo music for Stil Editions. The recording was done in a church in Paris. (There's info re this in Forces in Motion on pages 136 and 384.) As far as I know, none of this material has ever been issued EXCEPT for one track on a special CD+catalogue issue that Stil released to celebrate their 25th anniversary. It's hard to say what the CD is called - the cover has the following info: 'Stil audio numerique / Un Quart de Siecle / 25 annees d'urgence et de creation / Bonjour, Monsieur BEUYS!' while the disc itself has 'Stil audio numerique / Neuf titres pour 1/4 de siecle, 1971-1996'. The catalogue number is 2103 SAN 97 and the disc was issued in 1997. All the tracks on it except the Braxton are from discs Stil had already released. There's no info re date or place of recording of the Braxton track (but he did tell me in 1985 it was Paris in the summer!). The Braxton track is simply listed as 'Saxo-improvisation, saxo alto', with a timing of 6' 39". I'm certain it's actually a version of 'You Go To My Head' (though, curiously, in the track listing that Braxton gave me for the 14 LPs back in 1985 - see Forces in Motion [p.384] - there's no mention of 'You Go To My Head'!)"

Would love to be able to read that article. Any tips?

Hm. You want to access it but you dont want to pay... Jim's got tips on that kind of impasse in the Gigi Gryce thread!

Indeed i do. It's called using Google & using Firefox.

Go to the paywall article, highlight the first two sentences or so, search Google for them, and voila: http://www.google.com/search?q=Anthony+Braxton+will+never+forget+writing+and+producing+his+first+opera.+%22I+failed%2C%22+he+said.+%22My+marriage+broke.+I+had+a+heart+attack.+I+went+into+ma&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

The first link takes you directly to the paywall article. At least it does for me.

Very complicated, highly illegal. Don't try it unless you've got nothing left to live for.

BTW - that technique works quite well for quite a few paywall-type articles, if only because it's amazing how many of those articles end up in complete or almost-complete form on other sites, up to and including those of local newspapers. That happens a lot with business/financial news. My guess is that the source of the article also has an agreement with these local papers to provide content, and they figure that people can't figure out the internet enough to put two and two together. Eitehr that or else they haven't figured out the internet enough to put two and two together. But really, hell, I'm just a non-techie type with a natural curiosity as to how things work. It ain't exactly hacker-level voodoo, ya' know?

So unless and until doing a Google search becomes illegal, I got no compunctions about this one whatsomever.

The latest information I have about the unreleased solo material comes from Graham Lock, who told me this via e-mail in 2005:

"In the summer of 1985 Braxton recorded approx 14 LPs worth of solo music for Stil Editions. The recording was done in a church in Paris. (There's info re this in Forces in Motion on pages 136 and 384.) As far as I know, none of this material has ever been issued EXCEPT for one track on a special CD+catalogue issue that Stil released to celebrate their 25th anniversary. It's hard to say what the CD is called - the cover has the following info: 'Stil audio numerique / Un Quart de Siecle / 25 annees d'urgence et de creation / Bonjour, Monsieur BEUYS!' while the disc itself has 'Stil audio numerique / Neuf titres pour 1/4 de siecle, 1971-1996'. The catalogue number is 2103 SAN 97 and the disc was issued in 1997. All the tracks on it except the Braxton are from discs Stil had already released. There's no info re date or place of recording of the Braxton track (but he did tell me in 1985 it was Paris in the summer!). The Braxton track is simply listed as 'Saxo-improvisation, saxo alto', with a timing of 6' 39". I'm certain it's actually a version of 'You Go To My Head' (though, curiously, in the track listing that Braxton gave me for the 14 LPs back in 1985 - see Forces in Motion [p.384] - there's no mention of 'You Go To My Head'!)"

----------

BTW - that technique works quite well for quite a few paywall-type articles, if only because it's amazing how many of those articles end up in complete or almost-complete form on other sites, up to and including those of local newspapers. That happens a lot with business/financial news. My guess is that the source of the article also has an agreement with these local papers to provide content, and they figure that people can't figure out the internet enough to put two and two together. Eitehr that or else they haven't figured out the internet enough to put two and two together. But really, hell, I'm just a non-techie type with a natural curiosity as to how things work. It ain't exactly hacker-level voodoo, ya' know?

So unless and until doing a Google search becomes illegal, I got no compunctions about this one whatsomever.

Actually, it's an arrangement Google has worked out with these paywalled news sites:

Participating publishers allow the crawler to index their subscription content, then allow users who find one of those articles through Google News or Google Search to see the full page without requiring them to register or subscribe. The user's first click to the content is free, but when a user clicks on additional links on the site, the publisher can show a payment or registration request. First Click Free is a great way for publishers to promote their content and for users to check out a news source before deciding whether to pay. Previously, each click from a user would be treated as free. Now, we've updated the program so that publishers can limit users to no more than five pages per day without registering or subscribing. If you're a Google user, this means that you may start to see a registration page after you've clicked through to more than five articles on the website of a publisher using First Click Free in a day.
Edited by jasonguthartz

• 4 weeks later...

Some amazing deals for Braxton's GTM at Google Music:

https://market.android.com/search?q=anthony+braxton&c=music&docType=2&so=1

I paid ~$110 for the 9 Compositions (Iridium) box set on disc when it was released, but the download is $5.99! They aren't lossless downloads, and you don't get the liners (or the DVD in this case), but still, not a bad deal.