The Grand Unification Theory

kenny weir

(There were a couple of threads back you know where, but I'd like to re-start the discussion).

I'm listening to this for the first time, on the phones in-office, and I like it.

Once more his intro essay makes be brace for a really solemn, ponderous project. I think the best thing to do is read what he has to say and then forget about it and enjoy the music.

So far it seems both enjoyable and challenging, with even some pretty decent grooves going on. Interesting instrument lineup, too.

It sure appears the essay is throwing people off ... for all reviews I've read mention the failure (in their opinions) to meet the grand objectives set out by the notes. It's as if the critics are objecting to the artist's ego more than they are to the musical content.

I've been listening to this without having read the essay (and having for the most part disregarded what I read in the reviews). I cannot yet see how all different parts tell a story put together ... but I agree the playing is adventurous and challenging.

I see some reference points here and there ... The ensemble parts and solos remind me of Andrew Hill's works at some points, but they also sound like Donald Byrd's Band and Voices or Duke Pearson's big band. There are moments that suggest a strong influence on Harris by Bobby Hutcherson. In slow passages, the ideas that could've been taken out of "Django" pop up and grab me ... but the sound Harris projects is closer to Hutcherson's on his less adventurous works.

f72098mwqe4.jpg

I figured I'd wait to read the liner notes until I gave the music a chance, so I haven't read them yet.

I'm on my second listen and it still hasn't grabbed me. I like it more than the first listen. I really didn't like the first track "Prologue" when I first heard it. The melody at the beginning was just a little too upbeat for me, it made me think of a breakfast cereal commercial. Just a little too precious. I'll keep listening. There are places in the album I really like. I think this may really grow on me.

Edited by AfricaBrass

I have now listened to it 4 times. It really has grown on me. When I was leaving for work this morning, I couldn't wait to throw it in the car stereo. I'm really enjoying it. There are still places in it that I don't love, but I know I really juicy bit will be coming before long.

I was wondering this morning if he was consciously or unconsciously trying to make a record that sounded like a Blue Note record. He seems to be blending styles from different Blue Note eras. He'll go from something that Bobby Hutcherson might have done to a Horace Silver type song. There are places that even remind me of Frank Zappa.

It's an interesting work. I'm looking forward to putting my headphones on and listening to it right now. I'm glad I haven't read the liner notes yet.

I wish I hadn't read the liner notes. icon8.gif Dude, get OVER yourself! :rolleyes:

That being said, I am really getting into this album.

I was wondering this morning if he was consciously or unconsciously trying to make a record that sounded like a Blue Note record. He seems to be blending styles from different Blue Note eras.

I agree. In fact, there are eerie Gil Evans Birth of the Cool (I know, not really BN, but reissued on BN!) references, particularly in the first track. I might expand the above quote to state that he's making a record that sounds very mid-sixties ensemble-ish. Many Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus moments, and a lot of sounds that could have come from Impulse's "New Wave in Jazz" jag.

I also agree that I don't quite see how all the pieces fit together into his "story" (when he tells me what he thinks I should be hearing, he either lacks confidence in his work's ability to tell the story he wants it to, or he doth protesteth too much).

I give the record: two thumbs up.

I give the liner notes: the finger!

a_howto4.gif

Edited by Peter Johnson

I like your rating system, Peter!

I've listened to the album a few more times. I agree about the Gil Evans influence. There's an awful lot of stuff happening on this cd.

I think I'll permanently skip the liners notes. The cd has really grown on me. I don't want to ruin it.

:rsmile:

Edited by AfricaBrass