New Mosaic Selects

We've barely gotten a chance to digest these new Selects but I was wondering what's up next on the calendar. I see that the Crusaders are on the to do list but what's next? Is the Patton next?

Always trying to look forward here.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the rumor about the Mulligan Songbook Mosaic Select might be more than rumor. I received an e-mail a while ago from Michael Cuscuna (so I hope this OK to post), and he projected (but didn't promise) a 2004 time frame for this Select. The most exciting news about this particular package (because most of the music has already been available separately) is that: (1) A number of original stereo master reel tapes were recently found, therefore allowing new remasters. (The existing single discs all come from mono tapes.) And: (2) This Select will contain all of the Vinnie Burke sessions that Burke recorded while Mulligan was in the studio. I believe these recordings were entitled "Swingtime" or "Stringtime." For those who haven't heard any of the Burke sessions, here's a look at the line-up:

Gerry Mulligan: baritone saxophone

Paul Palmieri: guitar

Dick Wetmore: violin

Calo Scott: cello

Vinnie Burke: bass

Dave Bailey: drums

On paper, it would appear that the session might be some kind of "third stream" attempt, but it's actually pretty swingin' jazz. The tunes selected (covers of Horace Silver's "The Preacher"; Milt Jackson's "Bags' Groove," etc.) also help with the groove. I'm not sure that Mulligan will actually be on all of the new unreleased tunes (maybe someone else does know?), but I'll be eager to hear how this set sounds. It's fun stuff.

Having Reunion, with Chet Baker, in stereo for the first time will also be very nice!

Edited by Late

Guest Mnytime

Are the Crusaders someone that should be getting a Mosaic of any kind? I don't know their work. The name also leaves a lot to be desired. I am sure anyone can guess the reason why. ;)

Are the Crusaders someone that should be getting a Mosaic of any kind?  I don't know their work.  The name also leaves a lot to be desired. I am sure anyone can guess the reason why.  ;)

Even if their original name was Jazz Crusaders? ;)

Edited by Dan Gould

First time poster, long time lurker...

Got the following nice and speedy reply from Mosaic after sending a brief thank you for their recent Randy Weston Select and list of some wishes for future "regular" and Select boxes:

"We are trying to get permission for (a) Tal Farlow (Complete Verve) set and are working on a Duke Pearson set with The Phantom, Merry Ole Soul, It Could Happen Only With You,

How Insensitve and I Don't Care Who Knows It."

Hot dog, glad they have not given up on the Farlow and that FINALLY we may get a Duke Pearson box!

I'll definitely go for the Pearson set, if they do it in session order - the LPs were a scattered affair - it'll be a treat.

When I heard the few tracks with Vinnie Burke as bonus tracks to the Mulligan Songbook CD issue, it made me wish there was more .....

I have all of the Bennie Green stuff on LP, this is great stuff, Green was one of the most entertaining serious jazz soloists ever. I'll get that one too ...

pity my purse :wacko:

Wow, there's some great stuff to look forward to. I had forgotten (nor bothered to read the latest brochure) about the Chambers. However, having that material already I'll pass that one up. I'm looking forward to the Patton and I don't believe there's enough Baby Face to warrant a Select although I enjoy his work. Plus, Mosaic won't do 2 organists so closely. I like the idea of a Mulligan songbook, Nights at the Keystone and am always hoping for a Three Sounds.

Regarding Baby Face Willette, that's all I could find (except for a few single sessions before the Blue Note dates):

Blue Note BN 4064 Grant Green - Grant's First Stand

Blue Note BN 4066 Lou Donaldson - Here 'Tis

Blue Note BN 4068 'Baby Face' Willette - Face To Face

Blue Note BN 4084 'Baby Face' Willette - Stop And Listen

Now if they would add the two Argo LPs:

Argo LP 739 'Baby Face' Willette - Mo-Roc

Argo LP 749 'Baby Face' Willette - Behind The 8-Ball

plus an unissued session, if the tapes still exist ...

The Mosaic Selects are numbered as a series: 1) Moncur 2) Jones 3) Green 4) Weston

Do you find that style of numbering compels you to buy them all? I have to admit that the "collector" instinct kicks in every once in a while.

So far, I've been fond of most of the Mosaic Select offerings, although I wouldn't consider myself a huge fan of the more avant-garde style of music as in the Moncur (which is the only Select I don't yet have - although I am warming up to the Moncur with repeated listenings to the sample tracks).

So I'm wondering what will happen when the first Select comes along in which I have absolutely no interest.

Could I really stand it to see all of my Selects lined up in a row: 1,2,3,4,5,6,_,8,9,10.......