New Mosaic Selects

p.s. Brownie - you don't have the Fresh Sound CD of the Rivoli sessions?

Yes, yes. Grabbed this Swiss-made CD as soon as it came out. Was missing the 'Lucky Is Back' session. Had the other Rivoli LP 'Kinfolk's Corner'!

The liner notes to that FreshSound was an easy read! Written by a lazy Swiss obviously :D

I suggested that LT Select selection for the unlucky ones who do not know these albums!

For Ubu, here is the cover shot of the Lucky/Oscar Fresh Sound recent release (they did a much better job than GRP!

thomps_luck_luckythom_101b.jpg

But that's "Tricotism", right (the trio & quintet dates under Lucky's leadership)? I've seen this in stores, but haven't looked closer since I thought I have that on the "Tricotism" CD.

I was talking of the Oscar Pettiford big band albums!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that's "Tricotism", right (the trio & quintet dates under Lucky's leadership)? I've seen this in stores, but haven't looked closer since I thought I have that on the "Tricotism" CD.

I was talking of the Oscar Pettiford big band albums!

Oh, you meant that one (from the Lonehill people)!

pettif_osca_completeb_101b.jpg

Anybody knows who was the owner of the women's legs on that cover? No prize for this!

Oh, you meant that one (from the Lonehill people)!

pettif_osca_completeb_101b.jpg

Anybody knows who was the owner of the women's legs on that cover? No prize for this!

Yeah what was up with Janet Putnam ? Was she in the witness protection program or what ?

Love the way O.P. is holding that cigarette !

The Lonehill CD cover was the original cover of the album 'The Oscar Pettiford Orchestra' which was volume 2 of the Oscar Pettiford Orchestra in Hi-Fi on ABC.

And the legs belong to a real person. I even met her, a long, long time ago :blink:

Guy you're being coy ; those gams belong to Ms. Putnam n'est-ce pas ?

Non, Monsieur!

To help a little bit, they belong to the wife of one of the musicians on that cover :cool:

Why how puckish ! Like something Steve Allen would pull . Was that Creed's idea ?

She's the wife of the guy second from the left perhaps ? Is that David Amram ??

OK! OK!

The legs belong to Fran Scott. She was designing the covers for most of the jazz albums of the ABC-Paramount label. And one of the very best designer!

She was then married to Tony Scott. Tony Scott was not a member of the Oscar Pettiford Orchestra but he joined the musicians for the cover shot. He is almost cropped out at far right!

Edited by brownie

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I e-mailed Mosaic a while back inquiring about the possibility of a George Russell Sextet in Kansas City, and received the following reply recently:

It's quite good. I have been thinking about a Select with all of his Decca sextet albums.

Since there were only two G.R. sextet records - K.C. and Five Spot, I hope that this means that there will be extra material included. Chuck mentioned in another thread that unreleased material from the K.C. record existed.

Paul, I could be wrong but probably the Select might include the two Russell sextet albums plus he two big band albums 'New York, N.Y.' and 'Jazz in the Space Age'.

But that's still not much more than two CDs worth of music, if there's nothing additional to release. It would be a terrific set though, that's for sure!

The last BN Mosaic set is the Donaldson. Mosaic haven't worked on a Blue Note set for ages. ( apart from the Select sets). Are RVGs the only reason?

Could be... but then there's been so many BN reissues in the past years, and some albums have come out several times within short periods of time, so I guess there's no need. And honestly, not much interest here for more BN Mosaics, either... there's lots of other much more interesting ground for them to cover!

Paul, I could be wrong but probably the Select might include the two Russell sextet albums plus he two big band albums 'New York, N.Y.' and 'Jazz in the Space Age'.

brownie - I thought that might be the case also, but the e-mail reply specifically read "sextet albums". That could be a slip up, and if a select happens it may include all of the Decca recordings - big bands and sextets. If it happens, it should be a good thing, no matter what the configuration.

Speaking personally, I already have everything except the K.C. sextet, so I hope there's some unreleased stuff included. Tho I'd buy a Select just for the K.C. recording, as expensive as that may be.

The last BN Mosaic set is the Donaldson. Mosaic haven't worked on a Blue Note set for ages. ( apart from the Select sets). Are RVGs the only reason?

Could be... but then there's been so many BN reissues in the past years, and some albums have come out several times within short periods of time, so I guess there's no need. And honestly, not much interest here for more BN Mosaics, either... there's lots of other much more interesting ground for them to cover!

Dan Gould and I want a Three Sounds box.

MG

MG

And I want a whole lot of other stuff, but the main thing now is the survival of Mosaic...

MG

And I want a whole lot of other stuff, but the main thing now is the survival of Mosaic...

I think a Three Sounds box would make a good contribution to that cause.

MG

MG

I think a Three Sounds box would make a good contribution to that cause.

MG

But a box like that would probably need a huge investment before it would generate some money and I understand they need cash now.