New Mosaic Selects

Wow, there's some great stuff to look forward to. I had forgotten (nor bothered to read the latest brochure) about the Chambers. However, having that material already I'll pass that one up. I'm looking forward to the Patton and I don't believe there's enough Baby Face to warrant a Select although I enjoy his work. Plus, Mosaic won't do 2 organists so closely. I like the idea of a Mulligan songbook, Nights at the Keystone and am always hoping for a Three Sounds.

i dont want to sound as if i'm nit picking but i wouldnt have thought this would be a problem , who would have thought 2 of the first 4 releases would be by trombonists ?

mgraham333 - the Moncur select is excellant - my favourite so far.

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding Baby Face Willette, that's all I could find (except for a few single sessions before the Blue Note dates):

Blue Note BN 4064 Grant Green - Grant's First Stand

Blue Note BN 4066 Lou Donaldson - Here 'Tis

Blue Note BN 4068 'Baby Face' Willette - Face To Face

Blue Note BN 4084 'Baby Face' Willette - Stop And Listen

Now if they would add the two Argo LPs:

Argo LP 739 'Baby Face' Willette - Mo-Roc

Argo LP 749 'Baby Face' Willette - Behind The 8-Ball

plus an unissued session, if the tapes still exist ...

Interesting to see just this discussed here more than three years ago. Just last

week I emailed Mosaic with a suggestion for a Baby Face Willette Select and

besides the two Blue Note sessions and both Argo albums I also suggested

adding Here 'tis to complete most people's Baby Face discographies -

after all Grant's First Stand is easily available as an RVG.

Today I got a reply simply stating "Already mapped out - probably in late '07."

:)

Now if there is an unreleased session that they could include instead of Here 'tis,

that would be even better as I've just ordered a Japanese edition of that on Friday. :D

Edited by Kyo

Regarding Baby Face Willette, that's all I could find (except for a few single sessions before the Blue Note dates):

Blue Note BN 4064 Grant Green - Grant's First Stand

Blue Note BN 4066 Lou Donaldson - Here 'Tis

Blue Note BN 4068 'Baby Face' Willette - Face To Face

Blue Note BN 4084 'Baby Face' Willette - Stop And Listen

Now if they would add the two Argo LPs:

Argo LP 739 'Baby Face' Willette - Mo-Roc

Argo LP 749 'Baby Face' Willette - Behind The 8-Ball

plus an unissued session, if the tapes still exist ...

Interesting to see just this discussed here more than three years ago. Just last

week I emailed Mosaic with a suggestion for a Baby Face Willette Select and

besides the two Blue Note sessions and both Argo albums I also suggested

adding Here 'tis to complete most people's Baby Face discographies -

after all Grant's First Stand is easily available as an RVG.

:)

Now if there is an unreleased session that they could include instead of Here 'tis,

that would be even better as I've just ordered a Japanese edition of that on Friday. :D

I've already got all the Baby Face on CD. It's gonna take finding that unreleased tape to persuade me. But if they do....

MG

I don't have the Argos, so I'm all for it.

Speaking of Donaldson and Argo albums, I also suggested a Lou Donaldson Select for the future.

I don't know how the big box is doing so far and it'd probably be overkill to have both available

at the same time but a Select seems like a good way to release all of those Argo albums of

Lou's on CD in one go. I don't have exact running times for those LPs (except one) but

I imagine they could fit all six of those on three Select CDs - I'd buy that immediately! :D

I don't have the Argos, so I'm all for it.

Speaking of Donaldson and Argo albums, I also suggested a Lou Donaldson Select for the future.

I don't know how the big box is doing so far and it'd probably be overkill to have both available

at the same time but a Select seems like a good way to release all of those Argo albums of

Lou's on CD in one go. I don't have exact running times for those LPs (except one) but

I imagine they could fit all six of those on three Select CDs - I'd buy that immediately! :D

There were 8 Lou Donaldson Argo/Cadets:

Signifyin' - 724 (7/1963)

Possum head - 734 (1/1964)

Coleslaw - 747 (6/1964)

Musty Rusty - 759 (6/1965)

Rough house blues - 768 (12/1964)

Blowin' in the wind - 789 (8/1966)

At his best - 815 (8/1966) (this isn't a compilation, though you wouldn't know it from the title)

Fried buzzard - 842 (8/1965)

I think "Possum head" is about the longest - 40:26. Many are quite short, however. I reckon, though I haven't added them up, that you could get all 7 of the studio LPs into 3 CDs. That would exclude "Fried buzzard".

I'd rather like that as a Select.

MG

There is also a whole unissued LD Argo session from 1965, plus some unissued tracks from the other sessions. A Mosaic seems like an interesting idea in this case, although I suppose that if all Argo sessions are included it should be a regular Mosaic set rather than a Select. Some of the Argo albums, but far from all, have come out on CD in Japan, btw.

This might be a good place to also mention that there are three "rejected" LD Blue Note sessions from the 1971-1975 years. None of the albums from that period have come out on CD either. Thus LD's 1971-1975 output might be another Mosaic idea, although I realize that the material probably is too "commercial" for what Mosaic usually puts out.

I diligently collected LD's Argo/Cadet LPs a few years ago and enjoyed all of them. I think they deserve the full Mosaic treatment (would be interesting, for one, to learn more about this time between his BN contracts) but I do kind of doubt they'd do two full Mosaic sets of Lou. Maybe down the line when the BN set is gone though.

A Select seems the likely way to go but I'd probably hesitate if it doesn't include unissued tracks or the full unissued date, which its likely not to include, for space reasons.

There were 8 Lou Donaldson Argo/Cadets:

At his best - 815 (8/1966) (this isn't a compilation, though you wouldn't know it from the title)

I forgot that one, thanks for reminding me.

Unlike the others Fried Buzzard is out on CD and it's a live recording, so I excluded that

one. Would be interesting to see if they could fit all seven of those on three CDs.

I'd forgotten about the unissued material. Yes, one would expect that to be included; unless it's not realistic because of technical problems with the masters.

The unissued BNs look interesting. One or two look like mistakes - not commercial enough for George Butler. And I've always wanted to hear that track called "Don't worry about it George".

MG

Actually, in due course - quite a long time horizon actually - there's a good argument for putting all of Lou's '60s material into a big box. Well, 1961-1970, since his 2 1960 albums are in the first box and 1970 includes 3 good 'uns. That's 22 LPs plus unissued stuff. But there's not a dud album in the lot. And Lou was as important and influential a musician in Soul Jazz as Blakey was in Hard Bop.

Of course, a lot of the BN material is out on CD, so it means waiting for those to go.

MG

I think someone mentioned them earlier but has there been any motions or investigations made on putting out a Three Sounds set?

From what I can remember from various threads, someone keeps badgering Cuscuna and he keeps saying "effoff".

I'd like a Three Sounds Mosaic - I have only their albums with Lou and Stanley.

MG

I think someone mentioned them earlier but has there been any motions or investigations made on putting out a Three Sounds set?

From what I can remember from various threads, someone keeps badgering Cuscuna and he keeps saying "effoff".

I wouldn't say that's been his answer. Last time it was implied that the answer to the problem of having too many albums to go on a big Mosaic set is to do perhaps three Selects. I am betting that will be the result sometime in the future.

I wouldn't say that's been his answer. Last time it was implied that the answer to the problem of having too many albums to go on a big Mosaic set is to do perhaps three Selects. I am betting that will be the result sometime in the future.

Thanks Dan. MUCH more convincing.

MG

Responses to a couple of questions/assertions in the thread.

Very unlikely any Baby Face set would include BN and Argo material. This sort of label mixing is almost impossible in today's business climate.

Any Three Sounds project beyond one Select is also unlikely. The reason here is potential sales numbers are too low.

Not enough Gene Shaw for a Select unless they start issuing doubles.

Yours truly,

Mr Wet Blanket

The first Three Sounds records would make a very strong Select: Introducing, Bottoms Up, Good Deal, Feelin' Good, Moods, Here We Come.

Some may argue that the Three Sounds were overrated in their time. But they have certainly become way underrated in our time. I am sure that a Mosaic Select like that would turn some heads around, and would sell far aboe average, perhaps setting the stage for a follow-up.

Very unlikely any Baby Face set would include BN and Argo material. This sort of label mixing is almost impossible in today's business climate.

They have confirmed this set so it seems they found a way to get past this.

Kyo (and others): I don't know where you got this crazy information about this Willette select but I can only agree with Chuck and tell you from the first hand this select has not been confirmed at all. If there's going to be a select of BFW it's going to be a Blue Note only affair (his albums, some unissued tracks and the Grant Green and Lou DOnaldson LP's which had him on it). So the Argo thing is completely made up by someone on the board as is the fact it will come out next year.

Kyo (and others): I don't know where you got this crazy information about this Willette select but I can only agree with Chuck and tell you from the first hand this select has not been confirmed at all. If there's going to be a select of BFW it's going to be a Blue Note only affair (his albums, some unissued tracks and the Grant Green and Lou DOnaldson LP's which had him on it). So the Argo thing is completely made up by someone on the board as is the fact it will come out next year.

Just last week I emailed Mosaic with a suggestion for a Baby Face Willette Select and besides the two Blue Note sessions and both Argo albums I also suggested adding Here 'tis to complete most people's Baby Face discographies - after all Grant's First Stand is easily available as an RVG.