New Mosaic Selects

Kyo (and others): I don't know where you got this crazy information about this Willette select but I can only agree with Chuck and tell you from the first hand this select has not been confirmed at all. If there's going to be a select of BFW it's going to be a Blue Note only affair (his albums, some unissued tracks and the Grant Green and Lou DOnaldson LP's which had him on it). So the Argo thing is completely made up by someone on the board as is the fact it will come out next year.

Just last week I emailed Mosaic with a suggestion for a Baby Face Willette Select and besides the two Blue Note sessions and both Argo albums I also suggested adding Here 'tis to complete most people's Baby Face discographies - after all Grant's First Stand is easily available as an RVG.

Today I got a reply simply stating "Already mapped out - probably in late '07."

That reply sounds like Michael and it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't read the message through and understand that the suggestion included the Argo material - he just saw "Baby Face Select" and responded the way he did, only thinking of the BN material.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That reply sounds like Michael and it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't read the message through and understand that the suggestion included the Argo material - he just saw "Baby Face Select" and responded the way he did, only thinking of the BN material.

Possible. But the BN material barely exceeds two discs even if you include both the

Donaldson AND the Green. There's like 95 minutes of BFW leader stuff and 80

minutes of him as a sideman. I don't quite see why he would even consider

releasing a full three-disc Select in that case when even including a readily

available RVG disc the whole thing would hardly fill those discs to start with.

oh and by the way.....Forget about a Lou Donaldson Argo select because MC doesn't like it.

What's not to like about it?

MG

Like I said elsewhere on the board, that's a matter of taste... :)

Sure, but MC isn't picking stuff for his own collection, he's running a record company. Lou sells.

MG

And again a remark which doesn't hold up......3 CD's with each about 60 minutes on them isn't "barely enough" imo. There is at least one unissued track and there might be more but that I don't know for sure. I didn't call anybody a liar just corrected the assumptions you made.

Edited by Bluerein

And again a remark which doesn't hold up......3 CD's with each about 60 minutes on them isn't "barely enough" imo.

Usually that's acceptable but if they stretch the set by including a readily available

RVG (that most Willette fans will probably have bought long ago) it'll feel pretty bad.

I didn't call anybody a liar just corrected the assumptions you made.

You said someone (me) had just made stuff up.

Now the Argo bit may indeed be a case of misinterpretation (Mosaic's own

fault if it is though) but the "late '07" plan is anything but an "assumption".

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the Donaldson Argo/Cadet box set...

Would be interesting to see if they could fit all seven of those on three CDs.

As I said I have suggested doing something like this to Mosaic. They now told me they won't

do it for the simple reason that Verve themselves have plans for something like that next year. :D

Back to the Donaldson Argo/Cadet box set...

Would be interesting to see if they could fit all seven of those on three CDs.

As I said I have suggested doing something like this to Mosaic. They now told me they won't

do it for the simple reason that Verve themselves have plans for something like that next year. :D

How extremely nace! But I'll believe it when I see it.

MG

A reply from Mosaic re Lucky Thompson indicates that they are working on a Select containing Decca and ABC-Paramount material. No details as to what that might contain

That's great news!

What would be in there, except the Tricotism sessions (terrific ones!)? Would that also include the two Oscar Pettiford ABC albums? Oh, how about compiling some OP and do a nice little box set? I'd buy that, for sure!

And how about the Bags/Lucky dates? I am aware they're on various labels (Savoy, Atlantic, UA), but that would be a terrific set of music that's much too difficult to find (I have "Plenty Plenty Soul", burns of the UA and of "Jazz Skyline", plus a tape of a european [London?] reissue of some other Savoy cuts taken from at least two different albums). I guess this one is impossible to do, but I'd love it!

And then a third Lucky one, compiling the complete Paris sessions... :wub:

A reply from Mosaic re Lucky Thompson indicates that they are working on a Select containing Decca and ABC-Paramount material. No details as to what that might contain

That's great news!

What would be in there, except the Tricotism sessions (terrific ones!)? Would that also include the two Oscar Pettiford ABC albums? Oh, how about compiling some OP and do a nice little box set? I'd buy that, for sure!

And how about the Bags/Lucky dates? I am aware they're on various labels (Savoy, Atlantic, UA), but that would be a terrific set of music that's much too difficult to find (I have "Plenty Plenty Soul", burns of the UA and of "Jazz Skyline", plus a tape of a european [London?] reissue of some other Savoy cuts taken from at least two different albums). I guess this one is impossible to do, but I'd love it!

And then a third Lucky one, compiling the complete Paris sessions... :wub:

I'm with all the way on this one Flurin. I don't have Mike's disco handy but AFAIK LT had a short Decca session in 1952 ( 4 sides only?) , so i'd guess the bulk of the material would be the Tricotism session and the OP dates, plus isn't LT on one of the Quincy Jones ABC sessions. who knows !

• 6 months later...

A Lucky Thompson Mosaic Select would be very tasty. Probably even better than peanut butter.

As long as they abstain from including the superb ABC sessions with Oscar Pettiford. Those have been reissued aplenty and with good reasons.

If they envision a LT Select, they should include the two Lucky Thompson-produced for the shortlived label Rivoli, with Tommy Flanagan on piano. Also the two Groove Merchant albums, with Cedar Walton. Probably more material from these sessions exist!

If one takes a good look at Noal Cohen's Lucky Thompson Discography (which surpasses my attempts at this subject) you will see that there is a 1951 leader session for Decca (which is currently available on an Ocium CD) with one unissued track (that I doubt still exists), sideman track with Hot Lips Johnson, and the tracks from Louis Armstrong's Autobiography in Jazz sessions (never heard these, don't know whether Lucky has solos).

The ABCs are his own and the tracks with Pettiford and Quincy Jones, but he solos only on a few tracks of the latter.

As much as I am an LT fan, I don't quite see the sense of this box. Everybody interested has the previous Impulse CDs or the Spanish issues of these or can easily find a used copy.

p.s. Brownie - you don't have the Fresh Sound CD of the Rivoli sessions?

Edited by mikeweil

I'd love a Lucky T/Bags one the most, but as I mentioned before, it might be complicated since the music came out on different labels.

Is the Oscar P. one easy to find? Mike, you sent me a copy of the Impulse/GRP disc, I never managed to find a real one. I assume they're out in Spain by now?

p.s. Brownie - you don't have the Fresh Sound CD of the Rivoli sessions?

Yes, yes. Grabbed this Swiss-made CD as soon as it came out. Was missing the 'Lucky Is Back' session. Had the other Rivoli LP 'Kinfolk's Corner'!

The liner notes to that FreshSound was an easy read! Written by a lazy Swiss obviously :D

I suggested that LT Select selection for the unlucky ones who do not know these albums!

For Ubu, here is the cover shot of the Lucky/Oscar Fresh Sound recent release (they did a much better job than GRP!

thomps_luck_luckythom_101b.jpg