Jimmy Smith compositions?

Michael Fitzgerald

1. Can someone check the tune "Groanin'" released on the Jack McDuff album "On With It" (Prestige) - is this the same "Groanin'" as recorded by Jimmy Smith and issued on the CD of "Home Cookin'"? On that it is credited to Smith. BMI database only lists the McDuff tune, nothing by Smith.

2. Next - on the "Standards" CD there's a tune titled "The Last Dance" credited to Smith. Again, BMI doesn't have it in the Smith listing. There's a standard by this title written by Sammy Cahn and Jimmy Van Heusen with which I'm not familiar - is this the same tune?

3. The tune "Motorin' Along" on "Home Cookin'" is credited to Jimmy McGriff on the CD issue, but the LP issue credits it to Smith. McGriff recorded a tune by that title ten years later on an album called "Step One" (Solid State) - is this the same tune? There are two separate listings in BMI. My gut feeling at this point is that Smith didn't play the McGriff tune.

I have to be skeptical of some of these Blue Note CD issues because mistakes have happened - like the Horace Silver tune "Home Cookin'" (which is NOT on the Jimmy Smith: Home Cookin' album, btw) being listed as "One For Philly Joe" on the Jimmy Smith CD "Softly As A Summer Breeze" and crediting it to Smith. There are numerous other slip-ups outside of the Smith sphere too.

4. Anyone know composers of the never issued tunes "Fugueing The Blues" and "Ham And Eggs" that were in Smith's repertoire? Several unsuccessful attempts were made to record these for Blue Note in February and April 1958.

5. Lastly, the GEMA database gives Jimmy Smith's name as "Maurice James Smith" - but I always thought it was "James Oscar Smith" as in "J.O.S." - any thoughts here?

Mike

2. Next - on the "Standards" CD there's a tune titled "The Last Dance" credited to Smith. Again, BMI doesn't have it in the Smith listing. There's a standard by this title written by Sammy Cahn and Jimmy Van Heusen with which I'm not familiar - is this the same tune?

Two different songs, I believe. The Van Heusen / Cahn tune is on Sinatra's "Come Dance With Me" album, BTW.

5. Lastly, the GEMA database gives Jimmy Smith's name as "Maurice James Smith" - but I always thought it was "James Oscar Smith" as in "J.O.S." - any thoughts here?

Never heard of "Maurice James Smith". Everything I've read has been "James Oscar Smith".

I'll look into the others. Step One, if I recall, is a totally different tune. But I'll have to check.