Al Haig 1953

brownie

Found this 'Al Haig 1953' CD Japanese Jazzbank release (issued in 2002).

It is a superb January 11, 1953 live date recorded at the Clef club in Hollywood.

Al Haig plays with musicians who were in Stan Kenton's band at the time

(Conte Candoli, Frank Rosolino, Lee Konitz, Richie Kamuca, Don Bagley and Stan Levey).

The tunes are 'Good Bait', 'Billie's Bounce', 'Scrapple from the Apple' and

'I'll Remember April'.

Had never heard about this release. The material is described as 'all unissued

tracks on CD'.

Tom Lord's discography lists a June 11, 1953 Al Haig date from the Clef Club

with the same musicians which was released on a Vantage LP in Japan

(those Vantage LPs were very hard to find and I never got the Al Haig LP).

The LP has the following tunes: 'Billie's Bounce', 'Just the Way You Look Tonight',

'Half Nelson', 'I Can't Get Started (theme)'.

Obviously the same session.

Inside the CD there is a Jazzbank catalog in Japanese listing various

releases on several series (Minton's House, Cat's Meow, Five Spot,

Archive, Varanus). The Al Haig album is from the Archive Series.

Anyone familiar with these Jazzbank releases? And able to provide a list?

Sounds fantastic Brownie.

Where did you find that?

Apart from the obvious dates with Getz, and a couple of Limited Eds OJC i have trouble seeing Al Haig stuff in stores --- not that i have searched much online.

Sorry I don't have any info for you --- just wanted to congratulate you on a great find!

cheers, tony.

TonyM, found this at my favorite secondhand CD shop in Paris (they specialize

in classical music but they have a small and excellent jazz section which I visit

regularly). And their stuff is always in as-new condition.

This Al Haig was a steal at 12 euros (that's the most they charge on CDs).

• 4 years later...

FWIW this Lee Konitz discography lists the following:

6-11-53 Al Haig/Lee Konitz Septet

Lee Konitz (as), Richie Kamuca (ts), Conte Candoli (tp), Frank Rosolino (tb), Al Haig (p), Don Bagley (b), Stan Levey (dr): The Clef, Hollywood, California

01. Billie's Bounce (Charles Parker) 02. The Way You Look Tonight 03. Half Nelson (Miles Davis) 04. I Can't Get Started (into...) 05. Theme (Miles Davis)

Al Haig/Lee Konitz: Al Haig-Lee Konitz, The Sessions Vol. 1 (Norma Vantage (Japan) NLP5006)

6-11-53 West Coast All Stars

Lee Konitz (as), Richie Kamuca (ts), Conte Candoli (tp), Frank Rosolino (tb), Al Haig (p), Don Bagley (b), Stan Levey (dr): The Clef, Hollywood, California

01. Scrapple From The Apple (Charles Parker) 02. I'll Remember April 03. Good Bait (Tadd Dameron) (incomplete)

Private Recording (Note: This tape is dated 1-11-53, but with the exception of Al Haig the entire band was on a European tour with Stan Kenton in January 1953.)

Here's your Jazzbank list.

I have the two Warne Marsh CDs on Jazzbank (maybe there's more). "Personal Statement", in solo (1050), and the duo with Larry Koonse (1067). Years ago Anthony Braxton told me that the duo recording came from a California concert he had organized at Mills College, where he was teaching (1987). Braxton joins the duo on the final track of the concert - not included on the CD, unfortunately.

Here's your Jazzbank list.

I have the two Warne Marsh CDs on Jazzbank (maybe there's more). "Personal Statement", in solo (1050), and the duo with Larry Koonse (1067). Years ago Anthony Braxton told me that the duo recording came from a California concert he had organized at Mills College, where he was teaching (1987). Braxton joins the duo on the final track of the concert - not included on the CD, unfortunately.

Most of the US source tapes for this label come through Toshiya Taenaka (ex Interplay Records).

Unfortunately with this Al Haig release, it sounds as if the mike was placed on or very near the piano. Al's loud comping becomes something of a drag after awhile ...

Q

Most of the US source tapes for this label come through Toshiya Taenaka (ex Interplay Records).

Ah, yes. I have also "Warne Marsh Quartet Live in Berlin" (MTCJ 2510), with Sal Mosca, Eddie Gomez and Kenny Clarke, that comes "licensed by Interplay Records" and produced by Marsh and Taenaka. This has been pirated on Gambit, I think, and there's also a video of that concert on YouTube.

That Billy Bauer looks intriguing.

Wish my Japanese was better!

Personnel and tracks below:

(Some of these were issued on Billy Bauer/ Anthology on Interplay IP 8603)

Billy Bauer g

John Sherin b

Charles Kay ds

Clark Terry tp

Recorded in 1959 and 1969

1 Tenderly

2 The Shadow of Your Smile

3 What Is This Thing Called Love

4 Blues for Fontana

5 I Remember You

6 Misty

7 I'll Remember April

8 Quiet Night

9 Michelle

10 Greenway

11 Lullaby of the Leaves

12 Impressions

13 Purple Haze

14 When It's Sleepy Time down South

The other BB CD listed here (Let's have a Session) was originally issued in 1953 for the Ad Lib label - a Music Minus One type of production.

BB/ Toney Aless/ Arnold Fishkin/ Don Lamond... nice.

Q

• 2 weeks later...

I was just listening to the Al Haig Trio and Sextets cd from OJC that I got from Newbury on the Ebay sale and was really impressed. I guess I'd been so focused on listening to Bird on the records Haig made with him that I didn't listen enough to Haig's piano.

According to AMG, he did a lot of things for Spotlite that might make a nice box, but I have no idea who owns those masters. Definitely a very fine but somewhat neglected pianist.

haig was a giant, which he remains in spite of some recent revelations - he is mentioned by virtually every one of the 2nd and 3rd generation of bebop pianists - eg Hank Jones, barry Harris, Tommy Flanagan - as the guy who offered an alterntive to Bud Powell for new pianists of that era. Also, and just as significantly (and this is something Bill Crow said to me years ago), he was considered to be the guy who codified the chord changes to the new tunes that were than coming into the jazz repertoire, all the standards that were expanding the music in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

Edited by AllenLowe

I was just listening to the Al Haig Trio and Sextets cd from OJC that I got from Newbury on the Ebay sale and was really impressed. I guess I'd been so focused on listening to Bird on the records Haig made with him that I didn't listen enough to Haig's piano.

According to AMG, he did a lot of things for Spotlite that might make a nice box, but I have no idea who owns those masters.

Tony Williams, owner of Spotlite records? As far as I know he's still in business.

F

haig was a giant, which he remains in spite of some recent revelations - he is mentioned by virtually every one of the 2nd and 3rd generation of bebop pianists - eg Hank Jones, barry Harris, Tommy Flanagan - as the guy who offered an alterntive to Bud Powell for new pianists of that era. Also, and just as significantly (and this is something Bill Crow said to me years ago), he was considered to be the guy who codified the chord changes to the new tunes that were than coming into the jazz repertoire, all the standards that were expanding the music in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

What "recent revelations"?

What "recent revelations"?

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...=34163&st=0