Al Haig 1953

brownie

haig was a giant, which he remains in spite of some recent revelations - he is mentioned by virtually every one of the 2nd and 3rd generation of bebop pianists - eg Hank Jones, barry Harris, Tommy Flanagan - as the guy who offered an alterntive to Bud Powell for new pianists of that era. Also, and just as significantly (and this is something Bill Crow said to me years ago), he was considered to be the guy who codified the chord changes to the new tunes that were than coming into the jazz repertoire, all the standards that were expanding the music in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

What "recent revelations"?

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...34163&st=30

haig was a giant, which he remains in spite of some recent revelations - he is mentioned by virtually every one of the 2nd and 3rd generation of bebop pianists - eg Hank Jones, barry Harris, Tommy Flanagan - as the guy who offered an alterntive to Bud Powell for new pianists of that era. Also, and just as significantly (and this is something Bill Crow said to me years ago), he was considered to be the guy who codified the chord changes to the new tunes that were than coming into the jazz repertoire, all the standards that were expanding the music in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

What "recent revelations"?

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...34163&st=30

Many thanks to those of you who clued me to this absolutely fascinating thread. One of the enduring themes in jazz and on this board is the often troubled relationship between the personal lives and the work of various jazz masters.

I face this conflict often because I so love the work of Frank Rosolino.

But I still think a box of Haig's work for Spotlite would be nice. Not that we'll ever see it. I did take the trouble to recommend it to Mosaic, though I'm sure it's already lost in the sea of recommendations and suggestions they get every day. It would at least have the virtue of still being under copyright so that the Spaniards couldn't rip it off...yet.