Wounded Bird

Tony Pusey

Guest akanalog

i am going to sell my copy, but i could see someone else liking herbie mann's "stone flute" a lot.

it almost does it for me but falls a bit short. it is an interesting album though...very interesting.

if you like the hard fusion, check out lenny white's "venusian summer". again, doesn't do it for me really, but it has some good players on it and at least tries to transcend the genre at points.

OK, so my first 2 Mother Earth albums arrived very toot sweet from Wounded Bird.

I do not know much of the music in their catalogue, so , is there anything there I should pick up? MJQ? Herbie Mann?Maynard Fergusson? anything else?

Avoid the Maynard Ferguson stuff like the plague. It's from his mid 70's/early 80's commercial/disco/pop phase on Columbia (post Live at Jimmy's). Bad. :tdown

Guest akanalog

bad mastering on "crosswinds". one song, "heather" i think, is much lower than the others.

i think the original might be likes this though-on the vinyl, i mean.

good album though.

The original Herbie Mann at Newport (it's the one that opens with "Soft Winds") is on "Wounded Bird" and it's excellent - Don Friedman, Dave Pike, Atilla Zollar. I just picked up Jaco Pastorious's "Invitation," which is pretty much a mish-mash of styles which might not be to your taste.

• 10 years later...

For those with an interest in Herbie Hancock's trio acoustic albums w/Ron Carter and Tony Williams from 1977 and 1982--and who don't want to shell out for the 40-cd Complete Columbia box-set--those two titles have been reissued in the past year by Wounded Bird:

http://www.woundedbird.com/hancock_herbie/650.htm

http://www.woundedbird.com/hancock_herbie/2190.htm

Wounded Bird is offering "MJQ @ The Lighthouse"

That's a nice one, it was on CD before, but is still rare. I'm waiting for them to reissue 'Blues At Carnegie Hall' ....

Me, too. That was a double butcher job by Collectables where they coupled it with the much more common and totally unrelated Art Blakey Atlantic album, and deleted material from the otherwise unavailable MJQ set to make it all fit on one CD.

Edited by felser

Wounded Bird is offering "MJQ @ The Lighthouse"

That's a nice one, it was on CD before, but is still rare. I'm waiting for them to reissue 'Blues At Carnegie Hall' ....

Me, too. That was a doulble butcher job by Collectables where they coupled it with the much more common and totally unrelated Art Blakey Atlantic album, and deleted material from the otherwise unavailable MJQ set to make it all fit on one CD.

Blues at Carnegie Hall was issued whole by Rhine/Atlantic on an "Original Master Recording" disc. Spendy, but nice sound.

gregmo

Spendy indeed ....

Yeah, I had it on my Amazon wish list for quite a while before a copy suddenly showed up at a somewhat affordable price!

gregmo

Yeah, I have the Collectables twofer, not included to pay $40 for the eight minutes of missing music ("Monterey Mist" and "Home").

Maybe I also have two or three CDs from that label ? Is it possible there was a lot of OOP material from CBS Lps from the late 70, ?

I got Dexter´s "Great Encounters" on that label, and is it possible, that the huge 1977 Montreux All-Star-Band Vol. I and II is also a Wounded Bird production ? It´s more than 3 hours music, with some of the greatest musicians from bop to jazzrock, like Maynard Ferguson, Woody Shaw, Slide Hampton, James Moody, Hubert Laws, Dexter Gordon, Stan Getz, Benny Golson, Bob James, George Duke, Billy Cobham.....

Maybe I also have two or three CDs from that label ? Is it possible there was a lot of OOP material from CBS Lps from the late 70, ?

I got Dexter´s "Great Encounters" on that label, and is it possible, that the huge 1977 Montreux All-Star-Band Vol. I and II is also a Wounded Bird production ? It´s more than 3 hours music, with some of the greatest musicians from bop to jazzrock, like Maynard Ferguson, Woody Shaw, Slide Hampton, James Moody, Hubert Laws, Dexter Gordon, Stan Getz, Benny Golson, Bob James, George Duke, Billy Cobham.....

Yes, they reissued a lot of CBS-associated 70's material.

• 5 years later...