BFT # 18 - Disc 2

mikeweil

Please post your comments and guesses for disc 2 here!

Disc 2 has 23 tracks!

This one includes the one or two tracks I think everybody on the board should know and recognize B-) , but if you don't this doesn't mean you will be excluded from signing up to future organissimo blindfold tests .... As I said, I'm more interested in your comments than in simple guessing.

Enjoy the music, and many thanks to you all - I enjoy this immensely! :tup

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this is a bit scatterbrained and incomplete, but I'm burned out right now...

Wow, what a fantastic disc. I was SO not prepared to analyze all of this, but I am so glad to hear it...

1. Groovy start! This has some serious attention-getting personality. It also sounds very familiar. VERY familiar. I need more time...

2. Groovy follow-up! I may have this too, but I’ll buy it again anyway. ;) Sign me up, give it to me as a single disc domestic, an import, and in a boxed set!

3. How can you not like this? This 40’s style stuff just never fails to hit me (in a good place). It’s infectious when that many people are having a good time, and despite the blowing session, riffin’-your-brains-out feel of this, it’s just too swingin’ to get bored with.

4. Not sure I’ve ever heard this, but another cool track. Very intriguing melody line. Very nice harmonies on those unison lines. Why the hell don’t I know this kind of music better considering how much I dig it? Jazz AND R&B, there’s just SO much vintage stuff (although my tastes only take me back so far) that I’ve never gotten around to buying.

5. Now here’s what I like compared to the vocals on BFT 18 disc 1. Take a song (with a structure), and SING the damn thing. No grandstanding or wasted notes... no scatting either, but if you’re going to scat, do it with conviction (but I digress).

6. Mike, you’re killing me. I’m just sitting here thinking about how much (more) music I should have collected ten, fifteen, twenty years ago. My collection of music from this era is too small.

7. Everybody and their brother/sister does “latin jazz” these days (most of the jazz festivals I’ve seen advertised over the past several years are basically latin jazz festivals), but how many artists can do it this well? Not many, IMO. What an arrangement!

8. Session 12 / Track 4 ?

Recognized this as a tune that was given more than one new title over the years. Most people know it by its later name, I think...

9. Wow, another one I’m not sure I’ve ever heard. Could this be one of those Metronome All-Star jams? The variety of instumentation here strikes me as unusual. Me likey.

10. Dueling basses (cellos?)... not something I’d be particularly attracted to normally, but this has a great sound to it. I’m getting a 50’s vibe from the pianist. Not my area of expertise, I’m afraid, but I should get my head above ground!

11. Sweet. This BFT may end up co$$$ting me. The tenor sound here reminds me a bit of 50’s west coast... Harold Land (not quite)... Teddy Edwards? Don’t think I’ve ever heard this, either! Goddamn it, Mike!! :g

12. Tasty, tasty, tasty. I need more time...

13. I recognize this melody (can’t name it off the top of my head, though). 99% certian I own it. That’s Tal... and Eddie Costa?... (and Vinnie Burke?). Boppin’ and burnin’! Timeless, if you ask me.

14. “I’ll Remember April”... but I don’t remember this version. Tico tico... tico tico... :unsure: ...

15. Very interesting. At first I thought the guitarist sounded like Kessel, but it became obvious that it’s not Barney. The tone (at times), the phrasing/attack, and some of the bent notes reminded me of Kessel, but it ain’t Barn. This intrigues me, because offhand I can’t think of anybody who directly emulated Kessel in this way. I don’t really think I own this, which makes me all the more uncomfortable... ;) This guitarist has a very patient style... doesn’t rush his ideas, doesn’t play a lot of cliches... I like it. The octaves have a certain distinctive timbre that is very familiar. The tone strikes me as a 50’s guy... single coil pickup (having grounding/static noise problems, which is interesting as well)... I think this is a well-known vet player, but he’s just a tad off my primary radar screen. Almost sounds like a Hank Jones quartet with Barry Galbraith, but I think Galbraith had a touch more in the chops department...

Well, I can’t get past this !@#%ing track. I think I’ll save the rest of this marathon for later (it’ll give me something to look forward to!)

Tell you what, Mike, I’ll trade music collections with you right now. Straight across! :g:g:g

Well, I can’t get past this !@#%ing track. I think I’ll save the rest of this marathon for later (it’ll give me something to look forward to!)

Tell you what, Mike, I’ll trade music collections with you right now. Straight across! :g:g:g

Me too! :tup

Oh man, you're giving me a helluva good time!!! :g

GRRRRRR :rmad:

I've just spent over an hour typing in my stuff for BFT 2 tracks 1-23 and I've lost the whole lot during a preview. Fortunately I've got my notes but I've lost all of the AMG links. I'll give it another go in the morning when my blood pressure is half way back to normal again.

In any case its time to go out and see some live jazz..

;):g

Edited by sidewinder

I've just spent over an hour typing in my stuff for BFT 2 tracks 1-23 and I've lost the whole lot during a preview. Fortunately I've got my notes but I've lost all of the AMG links. I'll give it another go in the morning when my blood pressure is half way back to normal again.

;)  :g

And I was close to bet my hat you would start guessing on disc one :g ... What's on tonight, poor fellow ....

At least someone else has a chance to identify some things before you do. ;)

Edited by mikeweil

;):g

Oh, God I HATE when that happens. You're a better man than I, in that you were at least able to add a :g at the end of your post! I'm reminded of the time I was posting my guesses on a BFT, and my monitor died. Had to leave the computer on for about 36 hours until I could borrow another monitor, and finish the post. :wacko:

I always type up my thoughts now in a word-processing application, and then copy it into a post when I'm done with it. :w

Still haven't gotten around to tracks 16 - 23, Mike, but I'm looking forward to it!

After the local live jazz last night (a great little band with expat tenor player Benn Clatworthy and the esteemable Martin Drew on drums) the :g became a :g:g .

I'll post my answers now in batches instead of just having completed No. 23 with AMG links, check it and lose the lot. ;):g

Still scratching my head over that strange but somewhat vaguelly familiar track on disk 1... :D

Edited by sidewinder

Here's the first half dozen or so:-

1. Recognised this one immediately. Great band who remained commercially viable for a long time without totally compromising. Tenor player and leader should be a US national treasure. I have it on a reissue compilation 'workshops' LP so I'm not totally sure of the original LP title but I think its this one... Trumpet player and regular collaborator with the tenorist also very recognisable.

2. Variations on tune in '1'. Sounds like it could be a Quincy Jones mid-size group from the late 50s, the arrangement has that sort of sound to it. Thad Jones - wait, no - Art Farmer in there? Could it be from that 'This Is How I Think About..' album?

3. Booting bigish band with baritone solo. Leo Parker? Tune sort of sounds like 'Flying Home'. This one guaranteed to wake you up.. ;)

4. Swing era material - sounds like a swing group trying out bop as an experiment. Clarinettist sounds familiar. Could this be one of those BG tracks with Doug Mettome and Wardell Gray? (I have the Mosaic in the 'pending' pen so not yet familiar with this material).

5. Plunger mute intro leading into female vocal. This one has me flummoxed. Hodges-like alto solo.

6. I'm sure I've heard this one before. A very fine swing-era arrangement, very tight ensembles. Reminds me of Fletcher Henderson in terms of general feel. Very nice !

7. 'How High The Moon' played afro-cuban style. Carmen Miranda orchestra? ;) - wouldn't be one of those Johnny Richards arrangements for Kenton would it? Some very high trumpet work in there, reminding me of MF.

more to come...

Edited by sidewinder

8. An old bop recording. Sound has a hint of 'Savoy' about it, not sure of the title. Possibly Bud Powell on piano? Followed by at least 1, possibly 2 trumpet solos. I don't think it's Navarro, the technique isn't good enough. Altoist sounds a bit like Sonny Stitt. Hmmm..

9. Wow - largish bop group with a violin in tow ! Like the arrangement, quite unusual. No big suprises in the solos, fairly predictable. Sounds like this one could be a rarity and that it's taken from source vinyl. Posibly a European group of the late 40s/early 50s? Hmmm again.. - Wild ass guess would be Sam Rivers with a Boston-based Serge Chaloff group..

10. Session with at least one cello plus rhythm section, cello taking the lead. Style reminds me of Oscar Pettiford but I guess Ray Brown might also be a candidate.

11. Aha - the tenor player on this one is instantly recognisable in his sound and style. Track 1 on This one.... The leader of the session is the drummer, this was one of the tenorists first recordings.

12. Vibes plus trio, mid-50s recording. My hunch (and it is no more than a hunch) is that the track could possibly be from this obscurity (this one..).

13. The guitarist (and his prodigious technique) sound quite recognisable, together with the interaction with the pianist. I don't have the particular black box for this guy so not sure but my hunch would be a track from this one, possibly track 7?

Edited by sidewinder

14. The shout from someone in the group of 'Chico Chico' as the drums open up is a strong hint. I think I recognise the pianist (just been watching a video of him), very prominent in the soul/jazz vein. I think it's track 3 from this one..

15. Sounds familiar, I'm sure I've got this one on LP somewhere indeterminate ! Reminds me of these guys.., not sure of the album though (more likely the second than the first). Definite Contemporary Records feel to the recording.

Edited by sidewinder

16. Straight ahead shouting blues played by altoist with piano. Pete Brown? A good one to play with glass of whisky in hand after a bad day at the office.

17. 'I Cover The Waterfront'. The style of the vibist made me think of the early recordings of this player.. but not at all sure. Definitely MJQ-inspired, doesn't sound like Milt or Teddy Charles on vibes though. Very nice performance, like it. Has a 'Prestige' mid 50s sound. Could also be the group mentioned in '12'? :wacko: .

18. Violin plus possibly a cello and rhythm section. Definite West Coast late 50s feel to the performance. A total wild-ass punt but maybe something along the lines of this one...

19. Party time - another of those tracks which bridge jazz and rock'n'roll. Reminds me of Big Jay McNeely or Paul 'Hucklebuck' Williams. Full bore tenor - can't identify it though. Schmokin !

20. Blues with a hint of jazz. Sounds mid-60s. Possibly John Mayall's Bluesbreakers? If so, maybe Eric Claptout in there on guitar?

21. Vibes based group in an afro cuban vein. Could possibly be one of this guy's.. Verve sessions with Willie Bobo? A bit too 'generic' in style for me but pleasant enough.

22. Very nice indeed, recognised this one from the off (from a favourite Prestige 2LP set of mine). I think the original LP is this one.., track 11, and the very nice tune is by Leonard Feather. Superb tenor solo by a player who has had tragic luck in recent years.

23. Same session as 22, but this time it's track 8, (this one), bringing us very nicely back into a full circle to BFT track 1.

Edited by sidewinder

Great disk by the way, thanks for putting this one together. I can offer no higher accolade than the fact that this disk has occupied 95%+ of my listening time with a 'pending' pile that includes 3 Mosaics and a stack of recent acquisition NY USA vinyl. :g

Wow! That's a helluva compliment! :tup:g

You got four tracks correct, one more in part, the rest is ..... very interesting as a comment to the music - I will explain later.

Does that track on disc 1 make you hold back your guesses until you have identified it? ;)

I STILL can’t crack #15. :( The more I listen to it, the more I wonder if it could be Kessel after all, but I’m trying to rule that out for some reason. The end of the guitar solo just doesn’t sound like BK (but the rest is what I would call “Kessel-like”). The phrasing yes, the attack, no.This one is frustrating the crap out of me. The melody sounds more and more familiar (probably because I’ve listened to this thing about 50 times!! :angry::rolleyes: ). The pianist almost has a Basie-ish feel in the left hand at times. Goddamn it, I’m moving on...

16. Great jump blues feel. I used to listen to this type of thing more when I was younger. Is that Earl Bostic?

17. “I cover the waterfront”, a very lovely and tight arrangement. MJQ-ish, but I couldn’t say for sure who this is. I like this one too.

18. Uh-oh, a fiddle player. I like fiddle players, but I find it difficult to identify most of them (my fault, not theirs). Nice sound... Stuff Smith? I recognize that bass! :) ... but I don’t know who’s playing it! :g Another good ‘un.

19. Nice R&B feel. More territory that I’ve always dug, but never coughed up the digit for. I just don’t have the knowledge of the history stored in my brain, although I’d recognize most of the names from hearing them in various formats over the years. A shot in the dark- Jack McVea?

20. Whoa! A blast from my past! Finally, I can identify another one. I don’t know if this is the original Cobra version (I’d think so, from the sound of it), but this guy was one of my all-time favorites and idols when I was a serious blunatic back in the 70’s. http://www.mp3.com/tracks/2682705/dl_streams.html

21. Another genre I should have a better handle on. I can tell this is the real deal, probably one of the classics (or at least classic groups). Unfortunately, I knew zero about this kind of music until after I heard people like Santana paying tribute to it. I’m ignorant here, but I do love that unison sound of agressive piano/vibes/percussion.

22. Lush, lovely, delicious. Pretty melody, nicely arranged. Wow, everybody was getting some great tone on this. In general, I’m also ignorant when it comes to large ensembles vs small. This doesn’t have a particular stamp that I recognize... don’t know if it could be an Ellington group, but it has that kind of sophisitcation and elegance. Love the echo. :)

23. I’m gone. I know I’ve heard this. King Pleasure? I think I hear Dave Lambert, too. I don’t own it, but must have heard it numerous times. Did KP do a recording with L,H,&R? Anyway, not my favorite vocalese recording of all time, but a good one. Hey... this ties in with track 1. No wonder that one sounded so familiar. I think I’ve heard 23 much more than 1 (still don’t know who’s playing on 1).

I'll start with Disc 2. 23 tracks! That's a lot of wonderful music and some surprises. Also a very carefully conceived program.

I will have to wait for the published results to find out what's behind a number of unheard sides. I love this disc. It has so much of the type of music I have a passion for.

1- It's gone on the right track from the start. I have followed the career of this very distinguished musician from the days I was beginning to enjoy jazz. Track 1:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:ifduak1kgm3b

2- This one is killing me because I am familiar with this but could not trace it. The arrangement by Quincy Jones is unmistakable. I should have identified the excellent pianist!

3- Same for that one. Love that early bebop side. Leo Parker is here but could not name the tune.

4- Shame on me. Went nowhere with that. Was sure I was going to identify on a first hearing of this BFT,

5- same here. I recognize the Duke contingent and its rabbit. One I will need to look for when truth is revealed. Very enjoyable tune,

6- got that right away. Track 1:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:qg09kectkq7v

I had not noticed before how Lunceford-like that band could sound! The alto solo is a marvel!

7- Lovely afro-cuban side. Felt like dancing. What's this?

8- An easy one. The piano player had that unmistakable sound.

I visited the street so many times when I started writing on jazz. Those trumpet players were something else!

Track 4:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:wcfwxqr0ldte

9- another one I should identify. Another bebop performance I love. Those sax players I have heard dozen of times but could not identify.

10- I searched all over my Pettifords and drew blank. Very nice.

11- One of my favorite tenor player in an early appearance. Track 1:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:by7ibkd9hak0

I have this on the box that gathers material from that label.

The piano player was in Paris a number of times. An underrated musician if there ever was one.

12- a mid-fifties performance I am not familiar with. Could the vibraphone player be Joe Roland? I know the piano player will be a surprise but I could not identify him. That's one of the best unidentified music from the album.

13- a Tal Farlow trio? but went through the Mosaic box and several other albums.

(to be followed)

DISC TWO

1. I like how the drummer changes it up, schwinging schtuff. Dunno.

2. Bud Powell?

3. Boisterously thumping fun track. No complaints, no clue.

4. Count Basie? Wild guess.

5. Awesome. The instrumental section in the middle is phenomenal, not that I dislike the singing. Can't say I know.

6. Jay McShann & His Orchestra featuring Charlie Parker - "Swingmatism." (*pumps fist and does victory lap around house*).

7. From celebration to frustration, this is another one I have and can't remember what it is.

8. Fletcher Henderson? More wild guessing.

9. Dark and menacing at first, then nicely swinging. I dig it.

10. This cat is playing the hell out of his bass. Madman. I've heard this tune performed by others.

11. Coltrane?

12. Lionel Hampton?

13. Tal Farlow?

14. A nice latin rhythm. I found the piano player a little heavy handed at first, then it didn't bother me all that much. Not bad.

15. I likes em slow, but just don't know. Kenny Burrell?

16. DKDC

17. Cal Tjader?

18. Stephane Grappelli?

19. Gene Krupa?

20. Killer blues tune. I'll be interested to learn who this is.

21. Cal Tjader again?

22. Heart-wrenching, I love it. Haven't the foggiest notion.

23. Damn, I know this tune. I've got someone else doing this song. I like this singing, hip stuff. Reminds me of King Pleasure.

Disc 2, part two...

14- back to Afro-Cuba. I could not remember April on that one, but the piano player left me rather indifferent about it,

15- went nowhere with this. I'm sure the players are favorites.

16- I get kicks out of this sax player and can kick myself for missing the album I am pretty sure it is taken from. Could be track 7 fromthis one:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:p0otk6axwkrw

17- another vibe player. Teddy Charles? I'll listen to the full album after the results.

18- a most unique violin player. And a very favorite. Tricky of Mike to include this but a very wise decision since it will enable many people to get acquainted with him. Track 8:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:ftx8b5p4psqh

19- loved this. I heard so many of those sides when I was growing up. Know where this music comes from but do not know the players or the tune,

20- Clapton in the house? with Mayall? Those vinyls have long been filed away from the rest of the jazz albums. I enjoyed these sides when they came out but do not return to them these days,

21- more vibe player. Could this be Tjader which Mike loves so much.

22- a superb example of a great jazzman playing. Track 11. I don't share Mike's passion for Tjader but certainely do for this one! Beautiful! And one of his best solo.

23- It had to finish with that one. Track 8 from the same previous album.

Many thanks Mike for assembling this. 23 tracks that's quite a job! Hope you had as much fun compiling this as I had trying to reassemble the puzzle.

I'll deal with disc 1 later. Forget about a previous remark. I must have been in a bad disposition when gave it a first listen.

That disc 1 is starting to grow on me. The only problem is I have no clues on any of the musicians. I'll get back to it...

Thanks a lot for your comments, brownie - and all the others, too!!! - very interesting read.

I am not surprised that you identified some of the pieces righty away, but I am equally surprised what you didn't! Very gratifying to see some of the traps I laid out are actually working .... :g while others are not ... :( ................ :D

een: there's that Bag's Groove thing again. Not it and it sounds older, but it resounds from the notes. The tenore sounds mighty familiar. Somehow the whole affait (tenor included) reminds me of Plas Johnson, which must mean this is Moody (thanks for the linear logic there, couw... <_< )

twee: A little touch of Monk on the piano intro and another bag's groove thingy starts. This must be some Quincy thing, though I am at a loss as to the details.

drie: aah! bebop! Leo Parker fersure, but then what?

vier: ja! dat svinggs! no clue really. This could be anything, even the Dresdner Tanzsinfoniker. The clarinet limits the possibilities, however, is it Goodman?

vijf: talking trumpet and great singer. Hodges? and geeetarrrr too, hmmm...

zes: Cool beans! nice alto break. Reminds me of Parker, but some fire is missing.

zeven: How hight the Moon? Great afro-cuban stuff from the days. no clue on the players.

acht: Must be Bud and KD seems among the trumpets. Alto again reminds me of Parker, might be Stitt. hmmm, baritone, tenor, and 'nother trumpet have me stumped.

negen: Sounds like a Euro big band of the time, a bit predictable all this, though altogether nice enough. The violin is pretty wild, reminds me of some Brom sides.

tien: cello rather than bass. Pettiford or Brown, or maybe both?

elf: hankster on the debut

twaalf: baffled but me likee

dertien: I have the distinct feeling I have this hidden somewhere in the recesses. It all sounds sooooo familiar....

leaving the thread now, more next time...

Once again, as with disc 1, no comments read or other assistance sought, yet.

So many tracks! I will just comment where I think I might have something helpful to say.

1. This tune starts off sounding like Bags' Groove but then not so much so. Sounds rather like Eddie Harris to me.

2. Basie? - only frm the "chink--chink-chink" though. Same tune as 1?

3. Ellington? - Carney?

4. Goodman? Shaw?

7. How High the Moon - that's all i can say.

8. The tune is Tenor Madness aka Royal Roost aka Rue Chaptal and the baritone sounded like Serge to me. So how about Boots Mussulli? And maybe even Herb Pomeroy. I can look this up later.

11. Like this, but no ideas yet.

12. Vibes/drums by the same person. This should give some idea but it doesn't so far.

13. The tune sounds like Ginza Samba to me but I don't know this version. Is it Joe Pass? OP? Again, I will look it up.

14. I'll Remember April - don't know who. Like it!

15. No clue but like it too!

19. Earl Bostick???

20. Ray Charles?

23. Bags' Groove again! Can't contribute anything else here.

Now I can get reading as I listen again. Some good stuff there Mike. Thanks.

Edited by tooter