BFT # 18 - Disc 2

mikeweil

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And straight on with Disc Two

Track1: Straight off - liking this, nice sense of restrained urgency at the start, and I liked the way it developed too.

Track2: Missed this one - quite liked it but thought the piano was a bit lazy for my liking

Track3: Like this one, the recording quality helps the brass sound much more punchy - nice!

Track4: Liked this, nice and raunchy

Track5: Not mad keen on jazz vocalists - I'm sure the lady'd like this but does nothing for me I'm afraid

Track6: Back to the good stuff - this is great - no idea who it is but it's my favourite so far.

Track7: Another winner, though I didn't think I'd like it at first it really gets going.

Track8: This is okay, not really my cup of tea to be honest but I quite liked it.

Track9: Another okayer

Track10: There coming in too fast. Trying to work and do this at the same time is a bad idea. Another okay but I like the string sounds

Track11: This is better too - actually I like this a lot, like the sax tone but I knows not who it is (again). It kind of sounds like Hank Mobley to me but once more I'm not sure of this.

Track12: Mad Vibes! Like this a great deal.

Track13: Like this too, love the interplay with the piano and guitar, a very breezy kind of tune.

Track14: Hell yes - this is fantastic! my favourite out of both discs like the pianists range and the rhythm is just brilliant!

Track15: This is pretty good too - laidback, reminds me a bit of Kenny Burrell but I don't recognise the tune.

Track16: Too much with the sax, don't like the tone of this at all and the backing does nothing for me.

Track 17: Like the vibes playing but the tunes does little for me - a bit too plodding for my liking

Track 18: Not really liking this violin lark to be honest - I don't know whether it's the sound itself or the tune but somethings not right here.

Track 19: Like the immediacy but think that the brass is too much here and stamps too much on the tune.

Track 20: Not for me again, though I recognised the tune. No I take it back, this is actually pretty good. Not mad about this kind of stuff but enjoyed this one

Track 21: This is great, sounds like Cal Tjader but don't recognise it. Really growing on me this one - probably my second favourite in this BFT

Track 22: Bit too laid back but quite nice.

Track 23: Good finish - I like this a lot! Will be interested to see who this is.

All in all really enjoyed this - will try and bit more lucid next time!

continuing from last time...

veertien: chico remembers april? the pianist could do with some lighter handed, more precise intermezzos. not that his lines are bad, but there is too little variation to put the strong ones in the right perspective somehow. the bass & drums smoke the whole town out.

vijftien: more tasty rhythm dudes. Vinnegar on bass maybe? guitar has me think of Kessel, but I'll leave it to Jim R to nail this one. very nice relaxed track.

zestien: a jump alto like there are many more than I could possibly know. Listened into an album of this type just this week at the local record shop. I already forgot that guy's name ... pretty cool this track, cooler than any of the stuff on that album I left in the store.

zeventien: sounds like Waterfront. cool vibist, nice touch and ring. have heard that final riff before somewhere. hmmm.

achtien: this is nice enough. haven't a flying clue on who's playing, but I like it better than the instrumentation might have me think.

negentien: more jump with a brawly tenor straight from the party tent to the studio. no idea who's playing, but this is fun stuff fer sure.

twintig: deeper into this territory with that tune by whatshisname I am sure I have heard lots of time, but do not have myself.

eenentwintig: back to some serious vibes and latin grooves. tipping on Tjader on one of his smoother outings just before it all got really slick. not much substance but all the more booty shaking.

tweeentwintig: Moody again? beautiful.

drieentwintig: this is nice enough, but some of the rhythmic tricks just don't work out quite alright. that makes the lyrics sound really silly at times.

nice closer for sure though!

now, I liked nearly all of the tracks on this second disk (which is a huge improvement from the first disk ;) ), but still there is a certain sameness to it all that makes it not very exciting. No brilliant never heard before must must must haves here I'm afraid.

sure I am very curious to find out about some of these tracks and will probably carry some names into the back of my head from the discussions and answers, yet there is no real ringer here for me that makes me itchy and urges me in that spending mood. Too much to listen to I guess, and too much of it fits the same bill as the music on this disk: great stuff that I listen to on a daily basis but cannot give any priority as I encounter similar greatness everywhere.

IOW and not to sound too negative here (sheesh!): thanks a lot for a great compilation Mike :tup

Edited by couw

On to disc 2.

#1. Fever? No. What the hell…I know this tune, but not the players. Nice and dirrrrty track. Almost overblowing by the lead sax player—should be able to figure it out from that, but can’t. I like!

#2. Same song, much newer version. Pianist was schooled classically—lots of time with Bach. No idea what this is. An entire disc of the same song, different versions?

#3. I guess not. I’m not up on my big bands. If I had to guess…well, is it Duke? Shameful. I should know who this is.

#4. Aaaack, again, I should know who this is. I don’t. But I love it—I need to get more exposure to ‘40’s jazz (which is what I think this is…who knows!) Neat sax section work.

#5. Another one I’ve heard, but should know, but don’t—can’t even place the singer. I like this one a lot.

#6. GREAT ensemble work! Similar to St. Louis Rundown? Again, I should know this. I’m going to get an education with this disc.

#7. South of the border. I like this—great percussion, very nice alto solo. No idea who this could be.

#8. I think I have this, whether it’s a 78 or a 10-inch lp…man, when I do these tests my mind just breaks the hell down. Is this Bud Powell? Yup…I’m gonna get schooled. I love this track, which will have me pulling down my old records to find out what it is.

#9. Grappelli? (Only jazz violinist I know, other than Ornette Coleman! ;) ) I like the changes, but could do without the violin solo. Fortunately, it’s not totally omnipresent, so I can deal, and the sax solo more than makes up for it.

#10. NMCOT—I’m not wild about bass solo or leader recordings. Going to have to fast forward this one.

#11. Very nice track. Love the saxophone player, but again, I have no idea who it is or what it is. Interesting how the initial chorus just stops and the piano player comes in. Could this be an alternate take of something?

#12. My favorite track of the disc. I should know this tune—chord progressions here are very cool. Thought is was vibes/piano duet until I heard some nice bass plectrum work. Good stuff. Vibe solo lapses into sameness after a while, but the drums and piano solo recapture my attention. I’ll have to seek this out.

#13. Sounds like Kenny Burrell to me, although the I lose interest in the track after a while. Not a big fan of guitar/piano/bass combination. Gimme some drums!

#14. Speaking of drums! Nice! Gee, Mike, do you like percussion? ;) I love this track, and will have to find it. Pianist sounds like he was recorded in a bathroom—and I mean that in a good way. It works for this track! I’ve heard the tune played by others, but again—can’t place it. Can’t wait to find out what this is. Hmmm, pianist sounds like Gene Harris crossed with Ahmad Jamal. Could it be…???

#15. Nice track. The bass and piano play VERY nicely together. This is another keeper. Sounds pretty recent—bassist sounds like Jay Leonhart—longshot! Oh man, why did the guitarist have to come in and kill my buzz? Liked until then… :( Oh well. Maybe he’s not on the other tracks?

I’ll get to the other tracks later, but for now, Mike, I’ll thank you for this very fun and challenging BFT. As you now know, my specific recall of tunes and personnel, particularly obscure stuff, is for shit—but I had a hell of a good time. Now I’m exhausted! Looking forward to hearing the responses! Thanks again! :tup

1: R’n’B flavour to this one in the opening. The pedal-point bass is interesting. Good arrangement. Nice stuff, but I’m no idea who it is!

2: Old-style blues flavour to the piano but the horns are modern; & then the piano lets loose a fluent bop run. Perhaps Hampton Hawes on the keys. Can’t i.d. the tenor player though he sounds familiar, maybe Teddy Edwards or Harold Land if the Hawes i.d. is right. The final touch of celeste is nice!

3: Rhythm changes riff tune, not sure who this is. The baritone very pugnacious, bullfrog tone.

4: Interesting minor-major tune. Not sure who any of these guys are though the trumpeter sounds familiar, someone like Joe Guy. Hawkins on sax. If so probably a Hawk tune given the self-conscious harmonic sophistication.

5: Don’t recognize the vocalist. Nice track, not outstanding I think until you hit the alto solo. Hodges surely? The guitar is odd! Probably Eddie Durham judging by how old the disc is. The amplified guitar doesn’t really fit in but it’s interesting to hear nonetheless.

6: More major-minor blues stuff. Interesting. The alto sounds like Michael Moore (the young American saxophonist) though this is clearly from a while back (1940s or 1950s)!

7: Big band plus percussion doing “How High...”. The saxophonist borrows a lot from Bird but it’s surely not Bird himself (hard to tell anything though given how brief the solo is). Feeble trumpet solo. Which of these musicians are American, which Cuban?

8: Some straight bop, some of the pianist’s mannerisms (esp. the fast little flourish at the end of phrases). Sax solo, hm, Chaloff? too curtailed to tell. Decent trumpeter; & I think there’s a 2nd trumpeter who immediately follows? Odd tone. Birdlike alto, one chorus, then tenor, one chorus. A strange track: why the huge raft of soloists, given so little space?

9: very very odd. Sun Ra? Suddenly after the weird head with extra percussion & violin, you get straight bop. Hm, no that’s DEFINITELY not Ra on the piano, far too fluent. Damn weird but I’ve no idea what it is. Worh hearing, pity about the murky sound. The solos aren’t remarkable, but the piece is fascinating nonetheless.

10: two cellos??? Another odd track. Given that it sounds like a 1950s track I’d guess Oscar Pettiford. West Coastish piano. Worth hearing I guess.

12: Curious head & the absent of drums is a bit unusual. Oh here the drums come as the pianist starts up. I get the feeling we may have heard the pianist several times during the BFT or else am I succumbing to déjà vu? Half these tracks make me want to say “Hampton Hawes”.... Anyway, too brief a track to get much of a handle on it.

13: Dazzling piano/guitar unisons at the start. The track plays almost like the Oscar Peterson trio if Oscar were actually interesting.... Pretty good track.

14: Yikes, that piano comes blasting out of the speakers... ugly sound. Can’t think of much to say about this one except that I don’t like it: never been a fan of the styles involving slapping down block chords. No idea who it is. Not much actually happens here....

15: interesting Herbie Nicholsish opening! Can’t guess the guitarist; the bassist sounds very familiar, one of those really good oldtime walkers. I find myself vastly more interested in the pianist, bassist & drummer than the guitarist, actually, though he gets the lion’s share of the solo space.

16: nice oldschool alto & boogie piano. It’s kind of a pity that the rhythm section is so stolid & unvaried from chorus to chorus: there’s no sense of building excitement or dialogue even though the saxophonist does supply the excitement on his own. Nice to hear the sax but this is a disappointing track just because of the static quality.

17: another vibes + piano combo, a combo I see Mike likes. Not sure who it is, though they all sound fairly familiar. Odd tune: a ballad with sudden unison rushes every so often. Pleasant, not earthshattering.

18: Odd violin sound at the start, & it gets even odder! What IS this? It sounds like maybe a novelty piece with someone playing two violins at once! Then pizzicato cello alternating with piano, so I guess that was violin/cello unisons on the head. Nice pianist. 1950s recording surely.

19: Heavy slapping feel to the rhythm. Nice hoarse tenor solo. Not a lot to say about it but it’s pretty good.

20: Hm, can’t place the voice, I’m no blue/r’n’b expert. Good stuff, though.

21: Arrrrrrrgh, more vibes, more percussion! (Sorry, but neither’s a big fave here.) Kinda interesting track, though: where’s it going to go next? Never seems to really go anywhere, though.

22: Lacewing piano opening is a good start, then it introduces a very dark reading of a “YouDon’tKnow/RoundMidnight”ish tune I don’t recognize. Can’t quite place the sax, beyond its reminding me of Ellingtonians like Webster & Gonsalves. Very nice track.

23: I take it that the sentiment of the track & the quote of “Bags’ Groove” recommended this for the closer... Eddie Jefferson I guess. The pitching’s not always secure but I like the singer & the arrangement.

Edited by Nate Dorward

This one was TONS of fun, and I hope my excitement is as palpable as my usual cluelessness!

1. “Walkin’” but I have no idea who it is! Actually, not even sure it’s “Walkin’” any more, now that I’ve actually listened to it. Sounds like a Gerry Mulligan band.

2. Has that “Walkin’” vibe to it, but not sure it really is. Piano sounds a little like Silver, and the Basie-like “planks” make me wonder if this is from Silver’s Rockin’ with Rachmaninoff album. Very nice, nonetheless!

3. GOTTA be Basie!!! Damn, I just love Freddie Green!!! Don’t know the tune or the soloists, but I love the SWING!!!

4. Sounds like a Benny Goodman band. If not him, then I’ll go with a Fletcher Henderson band, just cuz this sounds like Fletcher’s kind of arrangement.

5. Maybe one of Duke’s bands with Ivie Anderson? That sounds too easy, but it’s all I can come up with!

6. No clue, but I sure am enjoying all these big bands!

7. Some kinda Machito thing is my first guess. On second thought, this sounds like one of the early….. name escapes me. After I type & post this, I’m gonna post a link to the CD I’m thinking of.

8. Does anyone else hear a rhythm guitar on this? It’s the unforgettable Charlie Parker classic, whose title escapes me. Anywho, it sounds like Fats Navarro on trumpet, Newk on tenor, Bird on alto, Max on drums. I’m just guessing here, but it seems like I should know this or at least have heard it or heard of it. Cluelessness on display: I think I’ll make that my new signature! ;)

9. Honestly, I can’t tell one big band from the other. I think when this is all done, I’m gonna re-label this disc as THE BEST DAMN BIG BAND CD EVER!!!

10. No clue, but I like the lead cello! Sounds almost like a guitar, which I guess was the whole point to begin with!

11. Sounds like early Dexter! No wait, I take that back: this sounds like Stan Getz with Horace Silver on Savoy. Don’t know the tune, and I’ve never heard the actual thing; this is just what I imagined it would sound like!

12. Sure sounds like MJQ to these ears!

13. It’s the “Ginza Samba,” but I have no clue as to who it is. I thought it might be the composer, but it sure doesn’t sound like him. After some research done while listening to this tune, I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s track 3 from this CD. Unfortunately, it doesn’t list who the pianist is on THIS track, but oh well. If I’m right, add this to the list of CDs MUST GET!!!

14. Sounds like Dan’s favorite pianist! Love that groove!

15. Nice & bluesy. No one sounds familiar, so HAFC™.

16. More good blues! More cluelessness! If that were a tenor sax, I’d guess this was Prez with Nat Cole, but no such luck.

17. “I’ll Never Be the Same.” No clue as to who it might be, could be anyone. Sounds like Hamp to these ears!

18. Aarghh!!! I should know this tune, but I don’t! I like the interplay between the violin and the other instrument, which I can’t identify. At times sounding like a clarinet, other times sounding like a cello, other times sounding like a piano. Heck, for all I know, it could be the violin player getting some outta-sight harmonics out of his axe! Okay, it’s now revealed itself as a cello. Nice harmonies between the two stringed instruments!

19. Ahhh, some more of that good jump blues, the way it oughta be played! This sounds like Illinois Jacquet tearin’ up the joint!

20. “All Your Love,” but this ain’t the Mayall version, I know that. And that’s about ALL I know about this one! Some damn FIERY blues!!! Can’t wait to find out who the guitar player is!

21. Oh yeah, that’s GOT to be Cal Tjader, from his Fantasy era, an era which I need to investigate more thoroughly.

22. Another beaut!!!! Reminds me of “Maria” from West Side Story, but really, I HAFC™! But I love the brass accompaniment and can’t wait to find out who arranged this.

23. Must be a vocalese version of track 1. Like that helps me! :g

This was far and away THE most enjoyable BFT I’ve had the pleasure of listening to. This one’s gonna get repeated play at work, in the car, at the house. Can we just skip to the answers now?!?!??! :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

13. It’s the “Ginza Samba,” but I have no clue as to who it is. I thought it might be the composer, but it sure doesn’t sound like him. After some research done while listening to this tune, I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s track 3 from this CD. Unfortunately, it doesn’t list who the pianist is on THIS track, but oh well. If I’m right, add this to the list of CDs MUST GET!!!

You are! I thought most of you would know the tune but not this earlier version.

7. Some kinda Machito thing is my first guess. On second thought, this sounds like one of the early….. name escapes me. After I type & post this, I’m gonna post a link to the CD I’m thinking of.

This artist and this CD in particular was who I was thinking about. Funny thing, I didn't recognize the tune at all, but this was who I first thought of. Oh well.....

You are! I thought most of you would know the tune but not this earlier version.

I got one right !!! WOO HOO!!!! :party::party::party::excited::excited::excited:

This artist and this CD in particular was who I was thinking about. Funny thing, I didn't recognize the tune at all, but this was who I first thought of. Oh well.....

Sorry about this one ... For my latinized ears the styles of the arrangers involved sound very different.

I get the feeling we may have heard the pianist several times during the BFT or else am I succumbing to déjà vu? Half these tracks make me want to say “Hampton Hawes”....

Be assured Hampton Hawes plays nowhere on these two discs ..... :w

One pianist is on three tracks, however.

I got one right !!! WOO HOO!!!! :party::party::party::excited::excited::excited:

REARRRRIIIIIICCCCCKKKKK!!!!! :D:g:lol::rhappy::rmad: :rsmile:

HOLY SH.... this has to be THE most VILE ;) act ever perpetrated by a BFT leader. The first time I listened to #13 I thought it HAD to be Tal. A classic example of jumping to conclusions. With each succeeding listen, I became less sure, and when I began to search through Tal's discography today (and gave a closer listen to the guitarist's tone), I was sure it was somebody else. The trouble was, I couldn't figure out WHO! The tone struck me as Oscar Moore-ish, and the only other guys I know of who "tapped" like that for percussive effect were Irving Ashby and Herb Ellis. Anyway, I know I've heard that tune before, but I'm sure I've never owned it- not even on vinyl. I've been pulling my hair out over this track (not to mention #15), and couldn't gather enough analytical ideas to make a post. I almost posted earlier to tell Mike that he's a sadistic bastard, but I thought better of it. :g

Eddie DuRAN!! Man, I've never heard him play like that. Not even close! And Guaraldi doesn't even sound like Guaraldi! At any rate, Al, Al, AL! You are not unlike a God to me (of course, you always were).

Sheeeee-it... Eddie DuRAN!!

Oh, AL! Who the @#$% is that guitarist on #15?!?!?!? :excited:

I wish I knew!!! :g

As for getting "Ginza" correct, it was the piano player that got me at first: I was trying to think of everyone BUT Guaraldi! (In fact, my first guess for the guitarist was Johnny Smith!) An AMG search for "Ginza" brought up Ron Crotty's name, and the sound samples at CDU convinced me!

One thing's for sure: I'm gonna get this disc, I gotta find some more Eddie Duran, and WHATTYA MEAN Mike isn't a sadistic bastard? He's gonna clean out both our wallets! Combined!!! :g:lol:

One thing's for sure: I'm gonna get this disc, I gotta find some more Eddie Duran

You and me both! I've always been aware that I probably paid too little attention to Eddie. I had one of his LP's (maybe on Concord...?) years ago, but it didn't survive the cut when I was transitioning more to CD's. I have one CD he did with his saxophonist wife, Madeline, otherwise just some sideman stuff with Vince. Like I said, though, I don't recall ever hearing him play like this... :blink: He must be one of those guys that likes to "keep something in reserve" a lotta the time. :huh:

I've known about this for awhile, but I just stumbled onto THIS today. Pretty cool...

... and after you have found out who plays guitar on track 15 I will be double champion :lol::g

:g

Say, Mike... old buddy old pal........ have you ever heard of a game called "20 questions"? :):w

I haven't managed to spin your discs much since yesterday... and I think the real reason is that I'm going to get obsessed again about track 15, and spend another 36 hours pulling out my hair! :rolleyes: I do want to examine some of those other tracks again, though... :tup

I haven't managed to spin your discs much since yesterday... and I think the real reason is that I'm going to get obsessed again about track 15, and spend another 36 hours pulling out my hair! :rolleyes:

Portrait of Jim R after repeated listening to BFT 18 disc 2, track 15, accompanied by pulling of hair ????

baldhead.jpg

;)

Take this as a disclaimer ....

Boy, Mike, there sure is a complete turnaround on Disc II. So, so much music to digest ... this seems like a well planned stream of consciousness set. A maniacal late-nite jockey tossing so much at you that you can't turn the dial. Without further googling or AMG-ing...

1) Walkin' bass line with swankily Manne-ish drums. Loses a bit of it's late-nite feel when the ensemble comes in but that soloist is where it's at. While I don't know my Moody some listening from the older BFTs had me listening to more of his stuff here and there but never finding a soul-ful bluesy avenue. This might be a Golson melody? I'm really just guessing.

2) Wow ... #1 was reminding me of this sound here and must have been for Mike too. "Blues Walk" cousin of some sort?

3) Is this that Clifford Brown "Theme" that Miles and the Messengers would play out between sets. I'm wearing my jazz neophyte dress here.

4) No idea but I love this cut!!!

5) Leave this to EKE! Got to be his singer who I can't think of but is not him on piano.

6) Another that the #1 fan from Spain will ace! Sorely not up to snuff on the Duke.

7) "How High..." in a pre-exotica mood. Machito, Cugat or a bit of Prado being serious.

8) Oopappada ... and not even that ... no guesses here.

9) Jungle drums and then violins...? fantastic !

10) ?

11) Should know this but don't... wild guess of Gordon or Moody ... boy these BFTs are really showing me that I don't cut it when it comes to pure stylistic recognition.

12) Bells sounding like something French maybe? What a bouncer!!

13) Another tune on the tip of the tongue... who am i kidding .. this is so familiar but i would never guess it. Love them little strangled banjo lix!!

14) !!!! A latin Hard Bossa killer. "Tico Tico? "Gee who is this? I probably have this pianist somewhere. A bit long for the Brazilian trios. Sounds like that Luis Carlos Vinhas guy but the piano is much more "grand" and funky. And the bass has a certain twang to it that's not quite old enough.

15) JimR will tell all... Sacha Distell?

16) Loping Honker from the Proper box? no clue but it's grrreat!

17) Some more pretty vibes. I love that extension he gets from the bells, playing just slow enough to keep the groove but letting the afterglow happen. This is a beautiful piece.

18) Some Franco violins and I have no idea of those.

19) Another Honker that has that "Say Hey Willie!" feelin'. All good here! Arnette Cobb??

20) Another great track ... change up after that last one that fits in perfectly!!!

21) I'm going with Mike's boys the Latin Jazz Quintet here. Fantastic!!!! this is the nutts.

22) A bit of "Yesterdays" to it in that style that Haden scooped for his Quartet West stuff. This is the real deal tho, right? Another absolute beauty.

23) "Mike's Gone" nice closer This has got to be that Moody I could not think of from track #1... but it sounds new? hmmm.....

WOW Mike... what a great listen. This one is the coup of BFTs... really separates the ears from the steers. Can't wait to read the commentaries from those cats in the know. Killer set and thanks for the superb collection. way :tup