I have no Monk book to recommend. I have a german book from Thomas Fitterling Oreos which has a good commented discography but only a decent biography.

But you absolutely need the Straight No Chaser movie, which has amazing footage of Monk performing in the studio and live. Not too many interviews. It's a documentary that can be watched several times.

The DVD is preferable because of the optional subtitles. I wasn't able to understand Monk's mumblings without them.

Edited by Claude

I'll second that recommendation for the 'Straight No Chaser' video/DVD. It's fantastic viewing, with valuable footage from Columbia studios and Monk's travels through Europe with the larger group. Not to mention the film of Monk at Pannonica de Koenigswarter's appartment overlooking the Hudson (with Monk swarmed by cat menagerie .. :blink: )

:rhappy:

Edited by sidewinder

I have Thomas Fitterling slim-ish volume. It's in three parts, a biography which I'll own up to not yet reading, a short segment on his music, the final half of the book is a detailed look at each of Monk's recordings. As a reference to Monk's recordings I'd say it was an asset to my book shelf.

I'll believe you on the Chris Sheridan Monk book, but $110.00?! :(

That's pretty expensive. It would be nice if they released a more reasonably priced paperback edition.

Here's another option:

[url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/019512166X/ref=pd_sim_books_2/104-0299446-8622303?v=glance&s=books]

Thelonius Monk Reader, ed Rob Van Der Bliek

Probably the funniest thing in Straight No Chaser is Monk's comment about his bandmate's (can't remember who it was) "Danish pants": "Danish pants? (dramatic pause...) Those are some bad motherfuckers!" :lol:

Another great moment is his attempts to order chicken livers in that hotel.

Another vote, from me, for "Straight, No Chaser". Some interesting and funny stuff, but the music is the star, as it should be.

I first heard Monk, in the early sixties, on his "Misterioso" LP, but was into other music at the time and didn't really appreciate it. I rediscovered him, just a few years ago and have become a collector of his music. "Japanese Folksong" is amazingly addictive.