favorite living jazz clarinetist

cannonball-addict

Who is the best jazz-oriented clarinetist out there?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Tony Scott? No Bill Smith?

I'd vote for John Carter but he's dead.

Byron's a good enough player, but much heavier on the concepts than he is on the content.

DeFranco? Who cares at this point? Not me.

Daniels? Yeah, I LOVES me some tuxedoed perfectionist clarinet! :rolleyes: The guy should've stuck to tenor.

Peplowski I like for what he does. No pretense, just good solid playing. Not particularly exciting, but hey...

Vandermark? Yeah, sure, whatever...

The others on the list are not relevant to my lifestyle at all.

After alto, clarinet is my favorite Braxton's instrumnet - it's a chame he does nto play it that often.

Yes, it is, because the clarinet is an instrument that does not look kindly upon only occasional playing. I hate it that way...

But I'll take what he almost (and there's no "almost" when his chops are up on it) does on the instrument over what the people on the above list actually do 100% of the time.

Anthony Braxton!

Who could have thought you wold mention Braxton.

Great clarinet player, for sure. After alto, clarinet is my favorite Braxton's instrumnet - it's a chame he does nto play it that often.

Also, Vinny Golia is a mean clarinet pleyer.

Tony Scott too!

I will at least mention Bill Smith, as someone has already done above. Give "The Riddle" a listen (you'll need an LP, but it frequently comes up on eBay). Bill has it all on that. I have no idea whether he is still active. The only album I heard him on without Brubeck is one of two Impulse LPs called "Americans In Europe", or some similar title; he is on two tracks on that.

Jim, what's up with that Buddy DeFranco remark? On a good day, Buddy's as fine as he ever was and still, as always, very much an "in the now" improvisor. Check out his excellent duo album with Dave McKenna from 1997, "You Must Believe in Swing" (Concord). And I've heard him play at that level several times since then.

Another nominee -- Frank Chace.

Sometimes this list really makes me either laugh or scratch my head.

How could Kenny Davern not be on the list, and only be mentioned by one person that has responded?

Davern is a well established fabulous clarinet player and to ignore him strikes me as being truly 'out of touch' with the larger jazz scene.

Peter F

DeFranco is ok, just never struck me emotionally. Too cold, but a good techie.

Pepwhatski is below my radar - choice, not ignorance.

Davern irritates the shit out of me. Peter F's statement is insulting. I've heard him for years and we can take a poll about being out of touch.

KV, yeah, right.

Bill Smith (Brubeck guy, right?) too "scholarly".

I another thread someone recommended the Grawe/Braxton Okka recording. Tony plays the shit out of his clarinet on this disc.

With a nod to DeFranco and Frank Chace (should he decide to record), most of my favorite living players came out of the AACM and play the instrument as a 2nd or 3rd choice. A special nod to those playing "Albert system" instruments. Those babies just sound better to me. Kalaparusha was at one time (not sure about the last few years) a master of the "Albert" horn.