Nica's Thread

Bright Moments

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The book will be out later this week. Managed to get an early copy.

Can understand better why the US publishers shied away from releasing it.

It's not Nica's memoirs. There is a nine-page foreword from Nadine de Koenigswarter, Nica's granddaughter.

The rest are contributions by 300 musicans (from Louis Armstrong to Sun Ra) on their three wishes! Plus tons of Polaroid shots taken by the Baroness of the musicians. The vast majority making their first appearances in the book. This includes candid photos of Monk, Coltrane, Miles, Sonny Clark, Mobley, Mingus, Hawkins, Rollins and many others.

Not general public stuff but fascinating reading for the jazz fan.

Very recommended book even for non-French readers!

I got an early copy from the editor too. :P

This book IS really fascinating ! -_-

I confirm what brownie said... :tup

• 4 weeks later...

After her death, Pannonica Rothschild de Koenigswarter's son sent the car back to Bentley for a full restoration; every repair record for this car as well as the original bill of sale will be made available to the buyer.

vow2_377x133.jpg

One of the more famous Continentals was ordered by the ex-Baroness Pannonica Rothschild de Koenigswarter, great-great-granddaughter of the celebrated banker Nathan Mayer Rothschild. The baroness owned a number of Rolls Royce and Bentley cars, but the car she loved most was a 1957 Bentley S1 Continental Drophead Coupe, which came to be known as the Be-Bop Bentley. That's because the baroness became a huge patron of jazz in New York in the late 1950s and '60s, and her car was often seen parked outside of jazz clubs such as Birdland, Smalls and the Village Vanguard and was often used to ferry musicians throughout the city. A picture of the car was published in the Time magazine cover story on Thelonious Monk and Be-Bop jazz in February 1964, and Monk, as well as Charlie Parker devoted several compositions to de Koenigswarter. --Michael Frank

Forbes Fact

The Be-Bop Bentley is exceedingly rare; of the 94 S1s built by Park Ward, only 31 were built in left-hand drive configuration. This car will be auctioned by Christie's in Tarrytown, N.Y., at the Lyndhurst Estate on April 28 for an estimated price of between $200,000 and $250,000. For more information, contact Christie's at (212) 636-2277. --M.F.

vow1_377x304.jpg

After her death, Pannonica Rothschild de Koenigswarter's son sent the car back to Bentley for a full restoration; every repair record for this car as well as the original bill of sale will be made available to the buyer.

vow2_377x133.jpg

One of the more famous Continentals was ordered by the ex-Baroness Pannonica Rothschild de Koenigswarter, great-great-granddaughter of the celebrated banker Nathan Mayer Rothschild. The baroness owned a number of Rolls Royce and Bentley cars, but the car she loved most was a 1957 Bentley S1 Continental Drophead Coupe, which came to be known as the Be-Bop Bentley. That's because the baroness became a huge patron of jazz in New York in the late 1950s and '60s, and her car was often seen parked outside of jazz clubs such as Birdland, Smalls and the Village Vanguard and was often used to ferry musicians throughout the city. A picture of the car was published in the Time magazine cover story on Thelonious Monk and Be-Bop jazz in February 1964, and Monk, as well as Charlie Parker devoted several compositions to de Koenigswarter. --Michael Frank

Forbes Fact

The Be-Bop Bentley is exceedingly rare; of the 94 S1s built by Park Ward, only 31 were built in left-hand drive configuration. This car will be auctioned by Christie's in Tarrytown, N.Y., at the Lyndhurst Estate on April 28 for an estimated price of between $200,000 and $250,000. For more information, contact Christie's at (212) 636-2277. --M.F.

vow1_377x304.jpg

:tup:tup

thanks for posting this!!!

• 3 months later...

The jazz photos taken by Nica de Koenigswarter will be featured at the 2007 Rencontres de la Photographie in the beautiful city of Arles, in southern France.from July 3 to September 16.

The Arles show is the top photo exhibition in France, along with the Visa pour l'Image show in Perpignan.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

here's the list of dedicated compositions from the text (no claim on completeness on my part thus, might have missed some monks, also)

Thelonious Monk: Pannonica

Sonny Clark: Nica; My Dream of Nica

Kenny Dorham: Tonica

Kenny Drew: Thelonica

Horace Silver: Nica's Dream

Gigi Gryce: Nica's Tempo

Duke Jordan: Pannonica

Freddie Redd: Nica Steps Out

Ray Draper: A Waltz for the Baroness

Matthew Gee: Here Nica

Samir Safwat: Pannonica's Nocturne

James Spaulding: Inca

Eddie Thompson: Nica; Tune for Nica

Barry Harris: Inca; Nicaragua

Bliss Bowman: My Nica, the Girl I Love; Nica and I; Nica, Love and Bliss; Nica is the Girl for Me; Nica Drums of Love

our own Donald Clarke also has a fine chapter on Nica btw (with almost the same list...)

http://www.donaldclarkemusicbox.com/encycl...tail.php?s=3914

Edited by Niko

• 1 month later...

Last night was the Opening Night for the 13th Annual Miami Jazz Film Festival!

I was lucky enough to see "THE JAZZ BARONESS". This 2009 film was directed by Hanna Rothschild, Nica's great-niece!

It focused mainly on Nica's friendship with Monk. Lots of interview snippets with jazz musicians and critics.

Only 82 minutes long but this Nica fan left satisfied!

:cool:

here's a link for the other films being shown this weekend:

Jazz Film Festival