Miles-Complete Jack Johnson Sessions

Guest Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

In the FedEx care package from my fiancée that came today she included an advance copy of the upcoming Jack Johnson Sessions Box. I haven't gotten around to listening to it as of yet. Still have the new Montreux box to get through first and other new pick-ups. It's remastered in 24 bit, though don't think it is DSD. This will be my first time hearing the Jack Johnson material. I have put off getting it since I new they where working on this box.

Like with the In A Silent Way Sessions Box they put the original released material on the last disc. In this case the last two tracks.

I believe this is supposed to be released in Sept. or Oct. of this year.

Here is the track info

Disc One:

Willie Nelson (Take 2) 6:41

Willie Nelson (Take 3) 10:21

Willie Nelson (Insert 1) 6:33

Willie Nelson (Insert 2) 5:22

Willie Nelson (Remake Take 1) 10:45

Willie Nelson (Remake Take 2) 10:17

Johnny Bratton (Take 4) 8:17

Johnny Bratton (Insert 1) 6:38

Johnny Bratton (Insert 1) 5:19

Archie Moore 4:45

Disc Two:

Go Ahead John (Part One) 13:07

Go Ahead John (Part Two A ) 7:00

Go Ahead John (Part Two B ) 10:06

Go Ahead John (Part Two C ) 3:38

Go Ahead John (Part One Remake) 11:04

Duran (Take 4) 5:37

Duran (Take 6) 11:20

Sugar Ray 6:16

Disc Three:

Right Off (Take 10) 11:09

Right Off (Take 10 A) 4:33

Right Off (Take 11) 5:58

Right Off (Take 12) 8:49

Yesternow (Take 16) 9:49

Yesternow (New Take 4) 16:02

Honky Tonk (Take 2) 10:04

Honky Tonk (Take 5) 11:29

Disc Four

Ali (Take 3) 6:50

Ali (Take 4) 10:14

Konda 16:29

Nem Um Talvez (Take 17) 2:50

Nem Um Talvez (Take 19) 2:54

Little High People (Take 7) 6:52

Little High People (Take 8) 9:28

Nem Um Talvez (Take 3) 4:36

Nem Um Talvez (Take 4A) 2:04

Selim (Take 4B) 2:15

Little Church (Take 7) 3:16

Little Church (Take 10) 3:15

Disc Five:

The Mask (Part One) 7:47

The Mask (Part Two) 15:45

Right Off 26:54

Yesternow 25:36

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

BFrank

Now don't forget this is Sony we are talking about Sept., Oct. can quickly turn into Jan or Feb. Honestly I am surprised that they would have it coming out only 3-4 months after the Blackhawk Box.

I wonder what happened to the Cellar Door Box, which was originally supposed to come out before the Jack Johnson.

BFrank

Now don't forget this is Sony we are talking about Sept., Oct. can quickly turn into Jan or Feb. Honestly I am surprised that they would have it coming out only 3-4 months after the Blackhawk Box.

I wonder what happened to the Cellar Door Box, which was originally supposed to come out before the Jack Johnson.

I would think if they they are shipping promo sets, then it is pretty much a done deal.

Claude - To my knowledge, Jimi never played with Miles. It was something in discussion, but never happened.

Guest Mnytime

BFrank

Now don't forget this is Sony we are talking about Sept., Oct. can quickly turn into Jan or Feb.  Honestly I am surprised that they would have it coming out only 3-4 months after the Blackhawk Box.

I would think if they they are shipping promo sets, then it is pretty much a done deal.

Claude - To my knowledge, Jimi never played with Miles. It was something in discussion, but never happened.

The advance copies is just the CDs with a few bits of info. A lot of things will be added to the full official released version. Something can happen to anyone of a number of things that can delay release. The Blackhawk was supposed to come out last year. It's current release is a week later than originally expected on May 27th.

Every single Miles Box has been delayed in the past for one reason or another. I don't see them ruining a record like that. Now the delay could be a week it could be longer but odds are there will be some sort of pushback date.

I had the Miles/Coltrane advance set a good year before it was finally released after 3 or 4 delays if I recall.

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

I thought the Blackhawk material was supposed to come out last Tuesday, and much to my chagrin, it was not in stores. Now, June 3, looks like the so-called release date.

Unless I am mistaken it was supposed to be out on May 20th than it was pushed back to May 27th. Now it is June 3rd.

Guest Mnytime

I actually received this track listing months ago and was asked to sit tight on it, and did. In fact, I sat on it so tight I lost it! Had personnel information as well. Going to be a very interesting set!

I figured you must have gotten a copy by now.

Now that my gal doesn't work for Sony Music anymore I don't have to keep quiet about much. Not that she knows much at this stage. Well at least not about Sony Music. ;)

No, I haven't a copy. About six months ago Bob Belden emailed me the information after I asked him a few questions about what may be on the set. It was very exciting to see it, and I put it I thought into a save folder to save it. . . looking at it made me want to hear it badly! But it appears I didn't save it after all.

I cannot wait to hear this set!!! Jack Johnson (specifically "Right Off", and "Go Ahead John") are two of my favorite electric Miles recordings. Can't tell you how exited I am about the amount of unreleased material in this set. If I could rank the sets, specifically in terms of my interest in hearing unreleased material, I would have to rank the "65-68 quintet" box first, with the "Jack Johnson" box being a very close second. (Then probably the "IaSW" box third, and the "Miles & Gil" box fourth. "Bitches Brew" box fifth. Then a toss up between "Miles and Trane" and "The Middle Years - 60-65".)

Again, that's my ranking based on my interest in hearing previously unreleased material. "Jack Johnson" is some baaad stuff, man, you dig!! :bwallace:

It's remastered in 24 bit, though don't think it is DSD.

Bob Belden has said that all the Miles remasters since 1998 have been done in DSD in preparation for eventual SACD release. He had posted that on the Blue Note BBS under the username "indno"... Damn, I wish those posts were still available. I seem to remember him saying that they cut the master in DSD and convert it to PCM for the redbook master. In my opinion, this little step in DSD-land seems to help smooth out the sound... I've liked almost all of the Miles CDs I've heard that were remastered in DSD.

Later,

Kevin

I have no real basis for saying this (i.e., no e-mails from Bob Belden-- ;) , but I wouldn't be surprised if the Jack Johnson box showed up in October.

If not then, Sony would probably have to wait until 2004 (since big releases like this don't usually seem to come out to close to Christmas, right?)