"Redd's Blues" by Freddie Redd

wesbed

Sometimes a certain session comes back and you enjoy it all over again. I purchased Freddie Redd's "Redd's Blues" when it was released two years ago. I read several poor reviews of the session yet enjoyed the session very much.

Recently, I placed an order for the latest batch of Connoisseurs. I was reminded of when I placed my order for the batch of Connoissuers that included "Redd's Blues." I decided to play "Redd's Blues" and was reminded of why I've always enjoyed the session. To my ears, it's very enjoyable to hear Jackie McLean and Tina Brooks on the same session. Brooks, on tenor, sounds so much like McLean's alto, while, at the same time, sounds very individual and distinct. Often I'm amazed how much Brooks' tenor saxophone sounds like an alto saxophone.

Freddie Redd provides me with memories of Monk. Like, Redd comes as close to an approximation of Monk as he can. Yet, leaves Monk to be Monk and retains his own Freddie Redd style.

Freddie Redd's tunes remind me of the style of Horace Silver. Not that Redd's piano sounds like Horace Silver's, rather, Redd's style of arranging the instruments reminds me of Horace Silver (with a touch of Monk).

To my ears, "Redd's Blues" is a nice set of well-written tunes. It's interesting to compare the sylish playing of McLean's alto saxophone alongside Brooks' tenor.

I'm wondering if there are other listeners who enjoy this session and consider it special?

'Love Lost' from this session is gorgeous - absolutely gorgeous.

I agree that what makes the Brooks/McLean collaborations extra special is how they complement each other. This is what I was alluding to in the Jackie's Bag discussion elsewhere.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Strange that you should mention this one — it was the first disc I reached for this morning. I've always enjoyed this session, and remember being puzzled when lukewarm responses were first posted about it. You have to dig McLean's first solo on "Now"... right at :46—:49. :excited:

For a long time I didn't rate this session - at all. And I played it several times and gave it a every opportunity to grow on me. So after that I left it alone.

Two weeks ago I played it again and was enchanted.

Now I daren't play it again in case the spell wears off and I go back to disliking it!

Edited by David Ayers

By chance, I hadn't listened to Tina Brooks in quite some time. Since listening to 'Redd's Blues' recently, I've gone back and listened to more Brooks. I listened to Brooks on his own albums. I listened to Brooks with Jimmy Smith on 'Cool Blues' and 'The Sermon.' I listened to Brooks with Freddie Hubbard on 'Open Sesame.' I listened to more of Brooks with Jackie McLean on 'Jackie's Bag.'

It's interesting and unique, to my ears, how much Tina Brooks' tenor saxophone sounds so much like an alto saxophone. If you compare Brooks' sound to, say, that of Dexter Gordon, it's hard to believe that both played the same instrument.

One of Tina Brooks' shining moments, to me, is his version of Stranger In Paradise from 'The Waiting Game.'

For a long time I didn't rate this session - at all. And I played it several times and gave it a every opportunity to grow on me. So after that I left it alone.

Two weeks ago I played it again and was enchanted.

Now I daren't play it again in case the spell wears off and I go back to disliking it!

May have to give this one another chance. I was never particularly moved by this one . Certainly does not rise to the level of Shades of Redd, IMHO.

By the way, I saw Redd's Blues at a local shop I frequent recently. If anyone is looking for a copy. I will be happy to see if it is still there.