POLL: New Home for BNBBers...

Jim Alfredson

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I hung around at the All About Jazz Forum for a few days, probably will continue, but I just voted for this forum as the prime successor to the Blue Note Bulletin Board. I'll try to lure as many people over here as possible. I requested an Audio Talk department a scant 12 hours ago, and there you are: this is board maintenance.

The longer I think about it, the angrier I get: It is their board ... would be nothing without us posters. No creative input into the board by the Blue note people themselves ... okay, they have work to do, but they could have cared just a little more. Just to remove that stuff without warning is to destroy an enormous wealth of valuable information.

Thanks a thousand times, welcome at the new home.

I've been hanging around the All About Jazz forum, but I voted for this one as well. I like how b3-er's got this one set up, with the fora divided up as they were on the BNBB. Many thanks to b3-er for putting this up. I still can't believe this board software is free. It looks great!

Haven't voted yet, as I'm finally one of those darned "undecideds"! I have mixed emotions. I think AAJ has been a good fit so far, and it has the advantage of having most of us there already. However, I can see BIG advantages to having our OWN place rather than squatting in someone else's cyberspace for a change. We've already seen how that can work out. It's true that it would be hard to lure newcomers here, but that would be the case almost everywhere, and is something we can overcome with hard work and self promotion. My only concern right now is that we STAY TOGETHER! I certainly don't want to see half of us here, half of us at AAJ, and a couple at BNBB with no interaction. It sure would be great if everyone that added to the mix could stay in the mix!

I'm still undecided.

Right now the best thing for me is going to be, bounce between the three. (AAJ,here, and BN)

I'll still check BN, I can't help but be curious, but I think all my posting activity will be split between the other two, at least for now.

I agree with Mark, and think it is important to try and stick together.

I don't see that being a problem, even if it is at a couple of places.

I like it here. I hope the fact that's it's run by an organist doesn't run people like hardbop off. ;) But, I think the AAJ board just isn't going to be as accomadating. Once I saw the BM pledged topics I knew it wasn't going to be all that. He seems a bit wary of us all although he's been very nice.

But what's the downside here? I don't see it. Pure freedom without any hidden agenda by the board host.

For me, it's too early to tell (heck, i just got here, though i like what i see so far!). But I fully agree with both 'Moose and 'Testa - I'll be like a lemming following the gang. ;)

I really had hoped that the BNBB would settle down and we'd all migrate back, but that's looking increasingly unlikely. What a mess and too much bad blood now. And there's no way in hell I could ever be a regular over at Jazz Corner. It's just not a good fit for me.

I like what I see at AAJ and there are many familiar faces their as well. Looks like my time will be split between here, AAJ, and the SteveHoffman forum. Who ever said that too many choices was a bad thing? ;)

Plus, I really dig the smilies here! :D:lol: B) :rolleyes::mellow:

Ray

Now that I've had a little while to take the tour, I'd have to say that Organissimo - right here! - should be the new home for the old and estranged BNBBers. But I'm taking that literally since you've done such a fine job essentially recreating our old stomping ground with updated software and a more positive, open-minded outlook. Yes, this is our new home, so to speak, but I can't rule out the AAJ boards for their established players and somewhat different perspective. I felt somewhat guity joining everyone in testing the waters there (and at Harlem.com). We kinda swooped in en masse and took over their playground by sheer force of numbers. The vets there accepted us graciously, but i did feel like part of an invading army. Here, it feels more like home - the same ol' place but with a new URL. :D

Ray

I know exactly what you mean, Ray. I know if the shoe was on the other foot, I would probably feel a bit of resentment at this new crowd waltzing in and taking over my cyberhome. We'll have to see how it plays out, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if we end up right here. In spite of it being run by an organist! ;)

Okay, my mind sorted itself out, and my vote has been cast. I genuinely hope that THIS board becomes our new home. It just feels right. I suppose AAJ will become the actual new spot, and in all honesty, this is one of those rare cases where I'd rather run with the crowd that stick to my guns, but I hope this place stays around and eventually becomes a viable jazz board no matter what else happens.

It doesn't feel right, suddenly invading another forum like that. My guess is that many people felt happier jumping to an established forum, rather than an unproven one - perhaps time will bring more people over here. I can happily cope with both, I think.

Oops, I think I accidentally voted for one of the All About Jazz options.

Howdy all,

I'm still torn between AAJ and here. I too feel really bad about invading their space and then just taking off. I think that is what has mainly kept me over there. I've never been that comfortable with the Jazz Corner Speakeasy. I have been checking it out this week. It seems as if the initial surge at AAJ is petering off. I'm not seeing as many Blue Note members in the last day or so. I wonder where everybody is?

I was really pissed off yesterday at some of the posts over there, but I've calmed down. I'm trying to have a good attitude.

Mike (the AAJ boardmaster) has created the new forums. It will be interesting to see what difference that makes over there.

Guest Chaney

Hi everyone.

Can I ask the boss a question?

What would happen if all former BNBB members now at the AAJ forum came over here? What would be the monetary expense to our host? I would guess that things could get pretty expensive between b3-er and his hosting company.

True? False?

Hi everyone.

What would happen if all former BNBB members now at the AAJ forum came over here? What would be the monetary expense to our host? I would guess that things could get pretty expensive between b3-er and his hosting company.

True? False?

I was wondering about that, too.

Hi everyone.

True? False?

I'm wondering about that too! In all honesty, this software was free, so no charge there. My server space costs less than $100 a year, which is nothing. I'm not sure what happens if I start eating up a lot of bandwidth, but I'll ask! :)