Max Roach Mosaic

Leeway

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have the Mosaic yet, but have long had most of the material on LPs of various origin. Much love from me.

Took the words right outta my mouth. I was always a wee bit peeved that Verve never got some of those Mercury titles out as individual CD's (e.g. Quiet As It's Kept; Moon Faced And Starry Eyed; Parisian Sketches). Fine albums they were.

Who is Kevin "Transparent" Reeves?

Not known to me personally but his work he especially on the earlier sides on this set could be better. Like a number of the Verve Elites he did the sound is a bit thin and trebbly, fine once you get used to it, but I was initially shocked as I'd expected audio to sound much thes ame as the Brownie Emarcy sides.

None the less this is an excellent set. Recommended.

Several of the original albums have been reissued as mini-LP sleeve CDs by Universal Japan over the last couple of years, but the Mosaic has the early tracks (including the extra tracks that don't appear on the Japanese reissues) in the order they were recorded, i.e. in "recording chronology", which makes it more listenable for me than - for instance - the original Jazz in 3/4 Time album.

I'm actually surprised you don't have it.

I've been working my way from the back of the Mosaic catalog. I'm trying to purchase the more affordable/older sets first. The Max Roach hasn't yet made its way on to my 'older' list. Likewise, the Capitol Jazz, being one of the oldest in the Mosaic catalog, is not on my 'most-affordable' list.

There are simply too many Mosaics and not enough time and money!!! I've been salivating over this one since day of release. It WILL be mine, but probably not this Christmas as I am still catching up with older releases. I can't see any way this set could miss.

On a more technical note, I like Kevin Reeves' remastering work. On a less than great listening system some of his remastering sounds bright, but the detail and presence is amazing, and with a tube system that de-emphasizes brightness the Verve Elites he did sound incredible. I can't wait!

But the project's scope was dramatically altered. With Verve it was planned to include all the Impulse recordings, the Freedom Now Suite (licensed from Candid), and the never-issued outtakes from Freedom Now which are in the possession of a private collector. The Mercury LP of Roach with the Boston Percussion Ensemble would have been included too. Also, photos would have been much more varied, rather than all from one source. But after years of no activity at all, at least it's good to have what Mosaic issued.

Mike

• 10 months later...