Max Roach Mosaic

Leeway

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the mood for a new Mosaic box.

Is it time I ordered some Maximum Roach?  :huh:

Frankly, wes, I'm a little surprised that you don't already have this one.... ;)

Sonny Rollins, Kenny Dorham, George Coleman, Hank Mobley, Stanley Turrentine among others. What's not to like?

Git'r'done! :g

Edit: I just noticed a post of mine nearly identical to this one from almost a YEAR ago....c'mon wes, get the friggin' set already!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Free For All

I just noticed a post of mine nearly identical to this one from almost a YEAR ago....c'mon wes, get the friggin' set already!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been purchasing Mosaic sets from the back of the catalogue as my interest permits. I purchased the Anita O'Day when I wasn't in the mood for the box (before it went OOP). Unfortunately, I'm still not in the mood the O'Day (who knows why?). Some day I'll be really glad I have the Anita set. She is my second favorite female jazz singer.

Tonight, however, my gut is telling me it's time to get my own copy of the Max Roach box. Just, gotta have Max. :)

Edited by wesbed

Wes, you'll love this set. I just listened to it again last week and it is truly an outstanding set. My only slight disappointment is disc 6 which is all alternate takes of the tracks on disc 5. But disc 7 is fabulous and more than makes up for my slight disappointment. From beginning to end, the music is great (and for me, that includes the tracks with Buddy Rich). Booker Little's playing alone is worth the price of the set. And I've never been a huge fan of Julian Priester (though I love bop trombone), but on this set he sounds terrific. Easily the best playing I've heard from him.

Did anyone notice any sonic problems on the Quiet As It's Kept session? The balance seems wrong - I can barely hear Stan The Man. I almost thought my CD was defective, but things sound great as soon as Parisisan Sketches kicks in.

Some of the material is simply breathtaking - for example, Booker Little's arrangement of 'There's No You'.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Did anyone notice any sonic problems on the Quiet As It's Kept session?  The balance seems wrong - I can barely hear Stan The Man.  I almost thought my CD was defective, but things sound great as soon as Parisisan Sketches kicks in.

Bertrand.

It's not just yours. Mine sounds the same. Stanley sounds echoey and off-mike. It's strange because the other horns sound OK. But you kind of get used to it after a while. It's the fly in the ointment in an otherwise fine session.

I still can't determine a sonic problem with the Stanley Turrentine Mosaic box (nor the Lou Donaldson box). I've read so much about both on these Boards. I'm hoping to have the same can't-hear-the-limitations situation regarding the Max Roach box.

Edited by wesbed

I still can't determine a sonic problem with the Stanley Turrentine Mosaic box (nor the Lou Donaldson box). I've read so much about both on these Boards. I'm hoping to have the same can't-hear-the-limitations situation regarding the Max Roach box.

Don't worry Wes. It's just one horn on one session. I suspect it's a problem with the original tapes which can't be fixed. Overall I think the sound on the set is excellent.

• 8 months later...

Just thought I'd bring this one back up for some air, for no reason other than I have ordered this set myself and it should be arriving next week sometime. :D:D:D

I only have one of the Sessions, "Max Roach Plus Four", f62740qttnr.jpg

which I really enjoy and I'm looking forward to hearing loads of George Coleman.

How is "Big" George on these Sides?, Blue-sy and Bop-ee I'll bet. :tup:tup:tup

Just thought I'd bring this one back up for some air, for no reason other than I have ordered this set myself and it should be arriving next week sometime. :D:D:D

which I really enjoy and I'm looking forward to hearing loads of George Coleman.

Oh you're going to like George on these sides.

Also Hank and Stan!

Oh you're going to like George on these sides.

Also Hank and Stan!

Don't forget Sonny!

This is a great set. Congrats, Cliff!