Max Roach Mosaic

Leeway

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This post offers some explanation.

But the project's scope was dramatically altered. With Verve it was planned to include all the Impulse recordings, the Freedom Now Suite (licensed from Candid), and the never-issued outtakes from Freedom Now which are in the possession of a private collector. The Mercury LP of Roach with the Boston Percussion Ensemble would have been included too. Also, photos would have been much more varied, rather than all from one source. But after years of no activity at all, at least it's good to have what Mosaic issued.

Mike

Edited by mikeweil

Well, the title is The Complete Mercury Max Roach Plus Four Sessions so that indicates that the Argo isn't there. But of course it's all owned by Universal and is by the same group, so why it wasn't included in the first place is a good question.

Because "The Complete Max Roach Mercury and Argo Plus Four Sessions" would have been too long a title? :P

Edited by John L

• 3 weeks later...

Something good actually came from this (me selling that CD): I only then realized that

it had also been issued on one CD together with Art Blakey's "Tough!". Got the disc

(called "Percussion Discussion") this week. Sound is drastically different from the

stand-alone edition of "Max!" btw., a lot more trebly (sounds better to me that way).

• 2 months later...

Now what's missing that was issued on other labels?

Max - Argo, 1958

Deeds, Not Words - Riverside, 1958

Award-Winning Drummer - Time, 1959

We Insist: Freedom Now! Suite - Candid, 1960

Percussion Bitter Sweet - Impulse, 1961

It's Time - Impulse, 1962

Max Roach with the Boston Percussion Ensemble - EmArcy, 1958

Live recordings:

LA TV recording, Oct 6, 1958 - Calliope

Long As You're Living (Kaiserslautern, Feb 5, 1960) - ENJA

Paris, Feb 1960 - BYG and other issues

... and these with substantial parts of the group:

Booker Little 4 + Max Roach - United Artists, 1958

Abbey Lincoln - Abbey Is Blue - Riverside, 1959

Tommy Turrentine - Time, 1960

Booker Little and friend - Bethlehem, 1960

Abbey Lincoln, Straight Ahead - Candid, 1960

Newport Rebels sessions with Max Roach Quintet as core group - Candid, 1960

not counting those with only two of the group:

Kenny Dorham, jazz Contrasts - Riverside, 1958

Stanley Turrentine - Time, 1959 or 1960

That list misses "Sonny Rollins Plays for Bird" (Prestige, 1956) - it's the only recording of the Roach quintet (some tracks minus KD, just quartet) in the version with the fine Wade Legge on piano.

Rollins of course already used the full Roach Quintet for his own "Plus Four" album earlier on Prestige, too, but that was with Brownie still around, hence before the time-frame of this discussion, while the "Plays for Bird" fits right in with the first Mercury sessions with the same frontline of Rollins/KD and as usual George Morrow on bass.

I can't seem to work the magic trick of finding the discography on Mosaic's site. Does anyone have access to it? I know I have most of the recordings on separate cds, but I'm missing a couple.

One that I'm missing is the Rich/Roach one, which I just figure is goofy. Am I wrong?

I can't seem to work the magic trick of finding the discography on Mosaic's site. Does anyone have access to it? I know I have most of the recordings on separate cds, but I'm missing a couple.

One that I'm missing is the Rich/Roach one, which I just figure is goofy. Am I wrong?

I'm guessing that the discography is no longer there for out-of-print sets.

IMO, the Rich/Roach recording while looking "goofy" on the surface works quite well. It's definitely worth listening to, at least. Each drummer's group was a good one and Buddy and Max often light up some fireworks in their solos and exchanges. They were surprisingly compatible.

I can't seem to work the magic trick of finding the discography on Mosaic's site.

Correct.

A quick Google search turned up this page that seems to have the discography info from the original Mosaic site.

http://audiophileaudition.com/audaud/JAN02.../jazzJAN02.html

I can't seem to work the magic trick of finding the discography on Mosaic's site.

Correct.

A quick Google search turned up this page that seems to have the discography info from the original Mosaic site.

Thanks!

Correct.

Thanks!

It's also in this post of the thread brownie linked.

• 16 years later...

Hey, Only 17 Years Later!

I just wanted to say that I finally picked up this wonderful set. I haven't even finished the first disk and I am "high" from the freshness of the recording and the quality of the mastering. I have been bothered by the low quality recordings available for my favorite late fifties bop and Mosaic came through again. I also love (as I am sure many of you) the consistency of the mastering session to session which just makes listening such a pleasure. As you might have figured I am a long time lurker that really appreciates all the knowledge I have received on these forums.

Thanks!