Favorite Blue Note cover

Select your favorite BN cover from this list  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good list, with lots of cool covers. I'd nominate Lou Donaldson's "Gravy Train" for inclusion on any future list. I also love the cool shot of Sonny Rollins on "Vol. Two" with the Blue photo and a bunch of the Big John Patton covers. B)

• 3 years later...

Hey - it says I've already voted in this poll. OK, but I put my check in against "Easy walker" and no one has voted for that!

WTF?

MG

(I think the sleeve is so elegant and matches the music perfectly. And I love the album!

Dunno what my fave BN sleeve of all would be - too many.)

Reid Miles was a very good customer of mine--I used to see him 3-4 times a month all through the 80's right up until he died. I have about 20 of his Blue Note covers on my office wall and he used to stick his head in and say "nice artwork you got there." He was usually 3 sheets to the wind by noon and used to come barreling up to the loading dock in his '61 Lincoln ragtop and park the damn thing there blocking one of our three loading bays while he came in and shopped. NO amount of yelling at him would keep him from doing this!

He told me that he got paid "a hundred bucks a cover" for the Blue Note work and that he ususally spent anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of hours on the design. He said that Lion and Wolff had no money and that's all they could pay, but that they were really great guys to work with.

Talent is an asset.

Edited by Allan Songer

Reid Miles was a very good customer of mine--I used to see him 3-4 times a month all through the 80's right up until he died. I have about 20 of his Blue Note covers on my office wall and he used to stick his head in and say "nice artwork you got there." He was usually 3 sheets to the wind by noon and used to come barreling up to the loading dock in his '61 Lincoln ragtop and park the damn thing there blocking one of our three loading bays while he came in and shopped. NO amount of yelling at him would keep him from doing this!

He told me that he got paid "a hundred bucks a cover" for the Blue Note work and that he ususally spent anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of hours on the design. He said that Lion and Wolff had no money and that's all they could pay, but that they were really great guys to work with.

Talent is an asset.

I am REALLY DISAPPOINTED that he didn't have a Jag. Perhaps he just fantasised having a Jag.

Thanks for sharing that with us, Allan.

Just think of Reid knocking "Shoutin'" out in half an hour... Wonderful. Did they give him a tape or test, so he could hear what type of music he was covering?

MG

I am REALLY DISAPPOINTED that he didn't have a Jag. Perhaps he just fantasised having a Jag.

Just think of Reid knocking "Shoutin'" out in half an hour... Wonderful. Did they give him a tape or test, so he could hear what type of music he was covering?

MG

Reid had LOTS of cars! He would somtimes drive a '47 MG TC and I know he had a '41 Continental V-12 convertible. Not sure about a Jaguar, but it wouldn't surprise me if he had one!

Reid wasn't a big time jazz listener, really. He used to BLAST Opera in his car, I know that for a fact!

Edited by Allan Songer

Hey - it says I've already voted in this poll. OK, but I put my check in against "Easy walker" and no one has voted for that!

WTF?

MG

(I think the sleeve is so elegant and matches the music perfectly. And I love the album!

I voted for that one as well. Should show at least 2 votes.......I recently picked this one up, mainly for the art work. I was pleasantly surprised by the music actually. Very nice.

MG

Reid had LOTS of cars! He would somtimes drive a '47 MG TC and I know he had a '41 Continental V-12 convertible. Not sure about a Jaguar, but it wouldn't surprise me if he had one!

Reid wasn't a big time jazz listener, really. He used to BLAST Opera in his car, I know that for a fact!

Amazing story Allan - thanks for sharing. Did you get him to sign some covers?

One of the Marsh/Callingham books has a picture of Reid Miles with his collection of vintage cars, all on show in a huge great gallery that was his 'home base'.

I'm not suprised to hear that he had opera music blaring out. Read somewhere (in one of those books I think) that he got rid of all of his 'courtesy' copies of the Blue Note LPs just after being given them as he wasn't a fan of the music.

30 minutes to 2 hrs per design eh? Amazing ! :blink:

Edited by sidewinder

30 minutes to 2 hrs per design eh? Amazing ! :blink:

Not really, at least in one sense. The elements are all pretty simple. The most complex things are the more trippier photos, most of which, iirc, are ones that he himself took.

What is amazing, imo, is the clarity of vision behind those things. He had 2 or 3 basic "styles" of design on those covers, and he worked seemingly infinite variations on them. Guess it shows that if you have the vision fully-formed, getting it out ain't no biggie, especially when it involves working w/a minimum of materials.

What I'm still wondering is how the hell he got from the minimalism of the BN covers to the hyperactivism of his later commercial work. The cover to The Basement Tapes is a prime example. It's like doing 0-60 in -10 seconds.

What I'm still wondering is how the hell he got from the minimalism of the BN covers to the hyperactivism of his later commercial work. The cover to The Basement Tapes is a prime example. It's like doing 0-60 in -10 seconds.

Never seen any of his other work. Whose album is "The basement tapes"?

MG

WTF?

MG

I voted for that one as well. Should show at least 2 votes.......I recently picked this one up, mainly for the art work. I was pleasantly surprised by the music actually. Very nice.

Wow! Wonderful! A prejudiced poll!

MG

WTF?

MG

Wow! Wonderful! A prejudiced poll!

MG

I see it's now got either your vote or mine registered, Morganised.

:crazy:

MG

He receives credit for photography. Bob Cato is listes as "design consultant".

I met a commercial photographer about 20 years ago, and I asked him if he had ever heard of Reid Miles. Of course he had, but he was completely unaware of the BN work. When I showed him some prime examples, he was amazed that it was Miles' work. Apparently, Reid Miles went on to great renown in the commercial photography industry for his "crowd scene" work, of which this cover is but one example.

Who knew?