NBA 2004-2005

One can't forget the freakish 0.4 second shot Derek Fisher hit to sink the Spurs in San Antonio.  That shot propelled the Lakers to play beyond their injury-riddled roster, but only in getting past the Spurs.  When the Finals rolled around, there was no Malone, no Devean George, Rick Fox and GP were playing the worst ball of their careers, and Kobe decided he'd rather force shots than work the ball to Shaq.  Combine that with not having anyone to match up well defensively with Rasheed and Rip, and there it was...

Well......

That's basketball isn't it, a TEAM effort???

Isn't that why they have 12 men instead of just 5???

Karl Malone was never the issue with the Lakers, you are still grasping for straws..

B-)

:bwallace:DETROIT ROCKS YET AGAIN!!

I understand what's happening on the floor much better than what's happening on the business end of things, I'm definitely not grasping for straws here. I watched the Lakers all year last year, I know for certain that Karl Malone was the glue that held the whole team together. As the season progressed, the offense was run through Karl because his passing ability was by far the best on the team. It is a team sport, but take a future Hall Of Famer off the floor and the team will weaken, obviously. My analysis was spot on for why the Lakers played so poorly in the Finals.

Detroit also specializes in defense, and came in playing their very best basketball. That's hardly the team one wants to face when dealing with crucial injuries, infighting, and having to re-tool the offense to deal with the gaps.

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because the Pistons had a much easier time with the Lakers than they did with New Jersey and Indiana doesn't mean that New Jersey and Indiana were better teams than the Lakers (and ergo, the Spurs).

I think that's exactly what it means. Both New Jersey and Indiana would've done the same thing to the Lakers. The Lakers last year were playing on their reputation and the Spurs bought into it and got psyched out.

Same thing with the Kings two years before that... sometimes the better team doesn't win.

The Clips finally passed the Lakers in the standings.

By the way Baron Davis was insane last night. 40 pts, 13 assists. If he's healthy the Warriors will be really good next year. :)

Guy

Lakers need to stop crying, it could be a lot worse......

Since we are always talking about if's.....

IF the Clippers had won half of those last minute close games, they would be in the playoffs and with a record that would really make the Lakers hide their faces...

IF Corey Maggette knew how to finish a drive into the paint and get the bucket besides the foul..... all those 3 points instead of 2......

IF Chris Kamen knew how to play the pro game........

IF Shaun Livingston had stayed healthy ALL season.......

B-)

Here's a mighty big "if" for you, Bruce: If, in a century or so, the Pistons franchise is able to catch up to the Lakers in terms of Championship trophies, then you can have the last laugh. Until then, this Laker fan will whine and cry all he wants. ;)

The PaperClips will never win it all. The franchise exudes losing. They were twice the team the Lakers were this season...on paper. They'll play with any team all night long and blow it in the 4th quarter. I still watch them and root for them anyway. :(

Edited by Noj

Here's a mighty big "if" for you, Bruce: If, in a century or so, the Pistons franchise is able to catch up to the Lakers in terms of Championship trophies, then you can have the last laugh. Until then, this Laker fan will whine and cry all he wants. ;)

The PaperClips will never win it all. The franchise exudes losing. They were twice the team the Lakers were this season...on paper. They'll play with any team all night long and blow it in the 4th quarter. I still watch them and root for them anyway. :(

Well Noj, I understand where y9ou are coming from....

However, remember this always, it was the Pistons who dethroned the Showtime Lakers and it was the Pistons who dethroned the Shaq,Kobe Lakers. So that in itself is a feat that no other team has done to another. So keep your dynasties but always remember who dethroned them.

On the Clips, I agree with you.

Have a good one, the Lakers lost tonight.... again.....

B-)

Well Noj, I understand where y9ou are coming from....

However, remember this always, it was the Pistons who dethroned the Showtime Lakers and it was the Pistons who dethroned the Shaq,Kobe Lakers. So that in itself is a feat that no other team has done to another. So keep your dynasties but always remember who dethroned them.

The Spurs dethroned the Shaq/Kobe Lakers, in 2003.

Guy

Touche`

Cannot argue with that history.

From Minneapolis to Los Angeles (Pan Pacific Auditorium, Sports Arena) until Detroit hit power in 89 I was an advid Laker fan, even when they couldn't win with Ray Felix at center. However, I always maintained my loyalty to Detroit even after Dave Bing was lost with the eye injury. So there it is.... Now you know.....

I love both teams even though I seem to always speak out against the Lakers.

I became vocal about the Lakers when they got Kobe. I could see from the beginning that he was a great player but also that he was a spoiled brat and trouble on the way.

B-)

I've only rooted for the Lakers, and I pull for the Clippers because I'm a homer. I suffered through the Vlade/Van Exel years after growing up with Magic/Kareem/Worthy. Magic is still my favorite player of all time.

Kobe was an incredible player--when he played within the system. The open 20 footer created by Shaq double teams was a friggin' layup to the kid. The decision to play without a big man is a huge digression from what made him successful.

I don't think there are any shooting guards outside Michael Jordan's shoes who can win without a great big man.

Even Jordan's teams had sort of a "big man by committee" between Rodman, Longley, Weddington, etc. Pippen added to that as well with his superior rebounding.

I'm neither a big Kobe fan nor detractor, skill wise.  Are you sort of saying he's a great complimentary player, but not necessarily a great superstar who can carry a team all by himself?

Nobody answered this question...

The answer is.....

Correctomundo! Kobe is a great shooting guard........

Got to admit though, he seems to be trying now that it is too late...... there seem to be more PASSES rather than... Oh I can't shoot so I will dish it quick....

B-)

Edited by BruceW

the heat is gonna ***** slap the chumps this mornin'

to send out THE final message

don't mess with the heat

Well, well, well,

Who got b***h slapped today??? :g

B-)

:bwallace:

Yeah... if the Pistons are lucky enough to have Shaq injured, they'll definitely get past Miami in the playoffs.

Guy

i'll shut the **** up

i want the play-offs to start this week

forget the rest of the regular season

my vote for mvp

under my rules

one being the best record

i'd say steve nash, but i hoping for shaqzilla

ss1

Hey comon Soulstation,

Hang in there,

Miami is a different team with Shaq.

But now I think the Pistons are still going to the Finals. They were awsome until they went to sleep in the last quarter.

B-)

bruce

do you like JOS?

That was a shit ass question...

You sequed from the NBA to Oscar; no wonder I didn't quite get the question before.

Yeah, I like him.. Yeah, I met him, yeah he asked me to play once and what else doyou want to know.....

I'm not mad, but that was a shit ass question on that NBA thread.

B-)