A bit more help please...

Hey everyone....I hope you all had a nice extended weekend!

First, I wanted to thank everyone who gave me feedback and advice regarding my first ever purchase from Mosaic. I ended up buying the JJ Johnson, Johnny Hodges, Stanley Turrentine and Blue Mitchell sets. Its alot of music, and I've only gotten through the JJ Johnson set and about halfway through the Hodges set. These sets are incredible. In fact, they are so great, that I'm already hooked and am planing my next purchase, which is what I wanted to ask you all about.

For next time, I have in mind the Max Roach, Django, and the Grachan Moncur Select set. What do you all think about this? If any of you have these sets, any feedback would be appreciated. Also, I've heard some complain about the sound in the Moncur set. Is the sound OK in that one? I hope so because I really, really want that one as I don't have any of the albums included in that set.

Lastly, are there any sets that I should be getting instead of the Roach or Django sets? I'm not familiar with alot of the music on the Mosaics, so I might be missing something. Thanks in advance for all your help, and I hope you all have a good week.

Sal

IMHO the sound on the Moncur Select is more than adequate. Good price for the material included. Buy with confidence.

As far as additional available Mosaics I'd get the Parlan, Stitt, Donaldson, Byrd / Adams, Mobley & Morgan / Shorter. If I had to pick one it'd probably be the Mobley.

Also don't ignore the other Mosaic Selects.

Hope your budget holds up.

IMHO the sound on the Moncur Select is more than adequate. Good price for the material included. Buy with confidence.

As far as additional available Mosaics I'd get the Parlan, Stitt, Donaldson, Byrd / Adams, Mobley & Morgan / Shorter. If I had to pick one it'd probably be the Mobley.

Also don't ignore the other Mosaic Selects.

Hope your budget holds up.

I'll agree. Considering all the available Mosaic sets, and Mosaic sets I own... My number one choice is still the Hank Mobley set. I'm surprised it hasn't already sold out. There will be a lot of people wanting the Mobley box after it is gone. :)

I think that you should take into consideration how much longer a particular set will be around before it goes OOP and you have to pay big eBay prices later. The Mobley has been around for awhile and would probably be a good choice. Personally, I really love the Django set. The music is timeless, you can't get enough Django IMO.

Sal, it really is impossible to make specific recommendations. Much depends on what you are into at the moment. The only Mosaic sets that I do not intend to buy are the Four Frosh and the Elvin Jones. Everything else is fair game. I own a bunch and not one is inferior in terms of material or sound...and that includes the Hackett, Vaughan, etc. Django is awesome, but so is Hank, Mildred, Hodges and so on. Buy with confidence as long as you really know and like the artist.

Buy with confidence as long as you really know and like the artist.

I'd have to say that I've purchased most of my Mosaics without being familiar with the artists whatsoever. After I picked up my first few sets, I realized that these guys issue quality material and have never hesitated due to lack of familiarity.

That includes sets as recent as the Carmell Jones, but also includes the Mildred Bailey, Venuti/Lang, Django, Ellington Capitol, Ventura Phillips, Chaloff, Larry Young, Joe Pass and more.

I'd amend that statement to buy with confidence as long as you're interested in exploring the artist and/or style of music.

Parkertown-I have heard parts of the Jones set and just don't care for the solo drumming that seems to occupy much of the set. The contrast with the Roach set is stunning for me-the Roach set is vibrant with his work and that of all of his collaborators over the years, and it is an exciting collection. But, I have been known to do a 180, so Jones may yet be mine some day.

Guest Chaney

Yes and don't forget the extremely Rare--"The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Pedro Iturralde"  :w

Tod:

If you don't already have this one, I'd be willing to sell you mine.

Seven CDs, LP size booklet and the black box. NM

$140 - cash only - mail to: Chaney, PO Box 100, Buffalo, NY 14202

PM me if you're interested.

PS: I also have this set - AUTOGRAPHED! - and ready to ship at the bargain price of $325!

:blink:

PS: Honestly, after the Iturralde set, I'd get the Mobley.

Parkertown-I have heard parts of the Jones set and just don't care for the solo drumming that seems to occupy much of the set.

Hmmm... I guess I'll have to pull this one off the shelf again. I can't remember too many drum solos. In fact, I seem to remember thinking how few drum solos there were coming from a set led by a drummer. I guess the last two discs, the "Live At The Lighthouse" stuff, probably has a few but that's not too bad for a live gig where the leader is the drummer, right?

BTW, I agree that the Mobley set is one that should catch your fancy. I play parts of it often. About the drawback I could think of is that there is a "sameness" to the sessions... a common problem with a few of my Mosaic boxes... great in pieces but repetative if you try spinning the whole thing.

Later,

Kevin

What do you all think (those that have it) of The Columbia Jazz Piano Moods Sessions? This is one Mosaic that seems to almost never get talked about. (Or at least I've missed any prior discussions.) Ralph Sutton? Joe Sullivan? Bill Clifton? Don't know these guys, but am curious.

p.s.

In Sal's first Mosaic thread, I gave a mini-review of the Elvin Jones set. I like this one a lot more than most, and I think one of the reasons it makes people hesitate (to consider purchasing) is because of its size. The Lighthouse material cooks (especially if you're a tenor fan), and The Ultimate Elvin Jones trio set is a hard-to-find gem that, aside from the vinyl, can't be found elsewhere. If Mosaic has another 10% off sale, and you like Elvin, I say this is worth trying out. The exciting moments in the box I think definitely outweigh the over-produced :unsure: moments.