CD players for vinyl fans ?

cool_blue

I've been very happy with my Jolida JD-100A tube CD player. Worthy of consideration, atleast. They're about $900 new, in the area of $600 used.

Are there any obvious differences (aside from perceived sound quality) in the operation of a tubed CD player versus a "conventional" CD player? Also, am curious to know, does a tubed CD player require partnering with certain equipment?

I've been thrilled with my Audio Note tube DAC set up:

DAC 2.1 Signature which was fairly pricey but worth every penny

CD Zero transport - very inexpensive entry-level transport

This set up is really a joy. I have yet to induce ear fatigue, even after 3-4 hour listening sessions at fairly good volumes, including many less than pristine recordings with rather harsh high end.

Interconnect between the DAC and transport is a huge deal too. Audio Note silver (I don't recall the grade but it was upper middle range for them) is working great for me, nary a jitter or other problem so far. This should be the next most expensive thing if you're on restricted budget. Don't skimp on this aspect of the set up.

To answer Leeway's question: depends. If you get an all-in-one tube DAC and transport, right out of the box should work with any system. BUT you probably need to strongly consider a good tube amp and tube-friendly speakers to really make it sing. Some people would mix and match tube and solid state, though.

If you get a separate DAC then you need to be very careful about good interconnect and pairing with a transport to avoid problems with jitter and other bugaboos. Otherwise, though, again you can go with either solid state or tube amplification etc, should work with any set up.

Edited by DrJ

No real compatibility issues arise from using a tubed cd player with other equipment. I have an all tube main system but have used my tubed players with my second (Bang and Olufsen) solid state system to great effect.

I've lived for about three years with a Dynaco tubed cd player, and just sold it because I have fallen in love with the Decware universal (SACD, DVD, CD) player that is a Sony changer modified to have a tubed output section directly after the DAC. I love it! Like Dr. J I'm reveling in the nonfatiguing sound of cd after cd after SACD and dvd. . .

DEC685 Decware tubed player

back.jpg

Dr. J:

To answer Leeway's question: depends. If you get an all-in-one tube DAC and transport, right out of the box should work with any system. BUT you probably need to strongly consider a good tube amp and tube-friendly speakers to really make it sing. Some people would mix and match tube and solid state, though.

One high-end dealer near my house features AudioNote Cd players. They sounded good. But I'm curious which speakers you think are "tube friendly." Interested in any specific recommendations.

Any suggestions from fellow vinyl junkies for a musical CDP for a occasional play ?

The Toshiba 3950/60 DVD players are another option. I do not have one, but have heard good things about it. Use it as CD player. Or get two as they are about $70 each. If you are handy with a soldering iron, there are many mods(ggogle) that apparantly make this sucker sing.

Here is one of the postive reviews:

Forget the video capabilities. Haven't even tried to watch a viddy on this thing. Been too busy listening to cd's. There is a web buzz on this thing being an incredible bargain as far as it's sound on cd's. The buzz is right and no one will believe how good it sounds unless they plunk down their cash and take one home and plug it in. I am dumbfounded. How in the hell did Toshiba make this little silver box produce the sound it does. Jazz, female vocals, piano, rock-n-roll, metal all sound great on the 3950. I have a $10,000 digital front end to compare this to and I'm not selling either one but the only place this little $70 box falls short is on the most intricate details. You don't get to hear all the way into the music but you get incredibly close. This thing sings right out of the box. I have been playing it all day and am just stunned

Longevity may be an issue after reading a few of the 40 reviews.

Toshiba

I have a Toshiba 3960 -- sounds gorgeous, and it is very inexpensive. I don't really know about any "longevity issues" -- it has a plastic case and doesn't weigh a ton, but that doesn't mean anything vis-a-vis durability or audio quality.

The mods I've seen involve adding aftermarket "shock absorbers" and replacing the stock AC mains cable. I'm skeptical of the value of the replacing the mains cable, but some audio nuts go for it.

You can read audiophile reviews at audioasylum, audioholics -- all of these big forums should have detailed discussion of the Toshiba "discovery."

Oh yeah, DVDs play OK through it as well, if you're into that sort of thing.

Leeway, "tube friendly" is tough to summarize concisely.

Basically, wolff is on the mark - depends on whether you want to go with low output tube amps, like the Audio Note Meishu single-ended triode type that I have (a MASSIVE 8 W per channel! :) ) or a higher output tube amp (I know less about those).

Wattage output is, in my book, VASTLY overrated as a desirable characteristic for home listening, especially for jazz, unless maybe your listening room is stadium-sized. But if you go low wattage, you generally will need a very efficient and sensitive speaker (rule of thumb is 90dB or greater, although don't listen to the numbers - listen comparatively).

I have Zingali speakers (www.zingali.it) which are admittedly kind of esoteric and pricey, but absolutely gorgeous to look at and when paired with the Audio Note stuff, really impressive sonically. If I'd been able to justify the cost I would have gone for the .4 model which has even better bass response, but the .2 model I have is really enough for my small listening room and less costly (and bulky). I don't like the .3 as much - smaller bass cone, sound wimpier than the .2. The .2 has 91 dB sensitivity with an 8 ohm impedence. Some people I've talked to believe that to TRULY be tube friendly you need speakers with a lower (4 ohm) impedence, but my ears didn't pick up much or any difference.

There are many fine speakers that sound great with low output systems. The only reason I found these was that I am lucky enough to have a local tube specialty dealer, and after years of assembling systems he hasn't found a better matching for the price than Audio Note/Zingali - and my ears agreed with him. It's hard for me to picture trying to buy anything like this without LOTS of listening time - I had assembled a really good "on paper" system when Web shopping that sounded fair but nowhere near this good.

Interestingly the only other system I heard that I considered was built around Meridian solid state stuff and B&W speakers (their G series CD players are amazing) - a very different kind of system and damn fine but no less pricey. Their CD players incorporate the common up/oversampling approach most people use these days though and ultimately still sound a bit harsher and less "vinyl like" than my set up with the AN tube DAC.

Audio Note eschews this, and uses a "1x" sampling approach (no over/up sampling, everything comes off the disc as-is). Not sure exactly how they do it but it makes intuitive sense to me - why introduce all kinds of artifact into the signal - and however it works, this does make a HUGE difference to my ears. Things sound natural, sweet, not at all "digitized."