Mingus's most unappreciated album?

theteach

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about the denon album "charles mingus with orchestra"?

people say it is unorganized or a mess but the compositions are very beautiful as is the playing by bobby jones and eddie preston.

I guess this belongs among those albums that aren't wide-spread (there's also an earlier one with McPherson coming to mind, "My Favourite Quintet" - never heard it), but indeed it's quite good!

There are some problems with the Mingus And Friends, but there are also some excellent tracks. Also interesting to hear Joe Chambers play in a big band setting, and with Mingus.

Anyone ever noticed in the track with Dizzy how they mention that Lee Morgan is in the back but too sick to come out? This was just a few days before he was killed.

Bertrand.

I agree. I think that Mingus and Friends is a fine album. It is not one of Mingus' great creative statements, but it wasn't meant to be. It is a whole lot of great musicians getting together and paying tribute to Mingus through Mingus' music during the latter's own lifetime. The arrangements are mostly done by Sy Johnson, and I find them quite tasteful, myself.

And yes, there is some very nice Jug on this one.

Rather than pay a pretty penny for a CD version, you might consider downloading it from Amazon for under $17.

There are some problems with the Mingus And Friends, but there are also some excellent tracks. Also interesting to hear Joe Chambers play in a big band setting, and with Mingus.

Anyone ever noticed in the track with Dizzy how they mention that Lee Morgan is in the back but too sick to come out? This was just a few days before he was killed.

Bertrand.

I agree. I think that Mingus and Friends is a fine album. It is not one of Mingus' great creative statements, but it wasn't meant to be. It is a whole lot of great musicians getting together and paying tribute to Mingus through Mingus' music during the latter's own lifetime. The arrangements are mostly done by Sy Johnson, and I find them quite tasteful, myself.

And yes, there is some very nice Jug on this one.

Rather than pay a pretty penny for a CD version, you might consider downloading it from Amazon for under $17.

Oh, interesting. I'll have a thought about that. Thanks John.

MG

IIRC, that's Jug on "Jump Monk". That's the track to download.

Ms. Fong's suggestion of the Mingus & Orchestra is right on the money.

When I first saw this thread, "Mingus Moves" came to mind also because there is some gold in those hills.

My best example might be Mingus at the Bohemia.

Jump Monk

Serenade In Blue

Percussion Discussion

Work Song

Septemberly

All The Things You C Sharp minor

George Barrow — tenor sax

Eddie Bert — trombone

Mal Waldron — piano

Charles Mingus — bass

Willie Jones — drums

Max Roach — drums

Jump Monk

Serenade In Blue

Percussion Discussion

Work Song

Septemberly

Eddie Bert — trombone

Mal Waldron — piano

Charles Mingus — bass

Willie Jones — drums

Max Roach — drums

I also like the second album from the same date: "Charles Mingus Quintet plus Max Roach".

Jump Monk

Serenade In Blue

Percussion Discussion

Work Song

Septemberly

Eddie Bert — trombone

Mal Waldron — piano

Charles Mingus — bass

Willie Jones — drums

Max Roach — drums

I also like the second album from the same date: "Charles Mingus Quintet plus Max Roach".

There are a slug of unreleased tracks from this live recording session on the Debut box.

I think I could live on an mp3 player with nothing but tons of Mingus. In my house, we also love his piano album and Weary Blues. I somehow immersed myself in Symposium and East Coasting on illegitimate CD releases, years before I got into his widely known stuff. Most everything he did had such swinging kick and visceral energy, his music just does not disappoint.

I think I could live on an mp3 player with nothing but tons of Mingus. In my house, we also love his piano album and Weary Blues. I somehow immersed myself in Symposium and East Coasting on illegitimate CD releases, years before I got into his widely known stuff. Most everything he did had such swinging kick and visceral energy, his music just does not disappoint.

What´s the mistery about "My Favourite Quintet"? (1965, live at the Guthrie Theatre, Minneapolis)? I see it in all the discographies and it was advertised on the back cover of all those Mingus records released on the french "America" label during the 70´s (then a source for us poor Europeans to purchase Mingus´stuff....) , only I never could put my hands on it.

As much as I know, it was never re-issued as a CD.

It would be worth listening, since it has, besides just another version of "So Long Eric" a ballad medley, in the way the Ellington-Medley on "Monterey", as I suppose.....

Rumours were, that Mrs. Sue Mingus would release it.

We have tons of partially bootleg material from the 1964 tour , at least this recording would be interesting.

I also miss a good live recording of the band that I was lucky to see live (Walrath, Ricky Ford, Bob Neloms). The only source I have is a hideous bootleg-sampler with live material from the 70s (Stormy and Funky Blues), which I bought during the short time it was out , only because it contains a live version of "Cumbia and Jazz Fusion"......

What´s the mistery about "My Favourite Quintet"? (1965, live at the Guthrie Theatre, Minneapolis)? I see it in all the discographies and it was advertised on the back cover of all those Mingus records released on the french "America" label during the 70´s (then a source for us poor Europeans to purchase Mingus´stuff....) , only I never could put my hands on it.

As much as I know, it was never re-issued as a CD.

It would be worth listening, since it has, besides just another version of "So Long Eric" a ballad medley, in the way the Ellington-Medley on "Monterey", as I suppose.....

Rumours were, that Mrs. Sue Mingus would release it.

We have tons of partially bootleg material from the 1964 tour , at least this recording would be interesting.

I also miss a good live recording of the band that I was lucky to see live (Walrath, Ricky Ford, Bob Neloms). The only source I have is a hideous bootleg-sampler with live material from the 70s (Stormy and Funky Blues), which I bought during the short time it was out , only because it contains a live version of "Cumbia and Jazz Fusion"......

Here's a copy, no bids so far, starting at $4.99 (but ending today).

http://cgi.ebay.com/LP-CHARLES-MINGUS-MY-F...318#ht_1375wt_0

Yes, it's so much to ABSORB. When it first came out I was snobbish in that "it ain't THE MAN" and there were guys on there like WM that I admit at the time I didn't appreciate. The "digital sound" took me a while to get into as well.

But over the years I've learned to really like it as I've been able to get familiar with the material and the performance. I think the performance IS good. And the material is very cool. . .just so much of it and so dense that at one sitting a lot washes over you undigested.