BT 18 - answers disc 2

mikeweil

Track 21: Cal Tjader - Mambo at the "M" (Luis Kant)

Cal Tjader vibes & timbales; Vince Guaraldi piano; Eugene Wright bass; Luis Kant congas; Bayardo Velarde bongos & timbales. Recorded in San Francisco, September or November 1957. Originally on 12" LP Fantasy 3-289 and Fantasy 8030 Tjader Goes Latin; available on Fantasy FCD-24730-2 Black Orchid.

The CD reissue combines two complete LPs; contrary to the AMG entry the other LP was recorded at one session, with the great Luis Miranda playing congas - a highly recommended starter for those willing to become Tjader aficionádos.

You got that right! Like I said in the discussion thread, I wish I’d never traded it away. Another good one to get is Los Ritmos Calientes, another Fantasy two-fer that features Tjader on vibes & marimbas, as well as a plethora of other Latin percussion instruments. I’ve had it for years, and it still gets regular play at my house!

Are you willing to buy a classic vocalese album only for two great instrumentals  (the other is a nice mid-tempo jump tune)?

I dunno, that one instrumental on the BFT was awfully tempting. Very haunting, y’know? :wub:

But his recording career was almost at the end when Aladdin recorded him, and it is understandable: There was no musical development at all compared to his many Decca sides. One session for Mercury was to follow, and that was it.

Not really....

There was at least one late 60s side, this one:

B00004Y2HN.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I used to have it, but traded it for room and board during one dire spell. It wasn't too bad at all.

Wasn't there a Tangerine side too?

Also,, there's these rather dire sessions cut for an RCA subsidiary in 1955-56:

d88546ka67m.jpg

And then there was this one, his actual final one, cut for Black & Blue in 1973:

f57310h3au9.jpg

Haven't heard it, but Fred Below is on drums, so I probably should...

Yeah, Jordan is pretty identifiable once you get him in your head (and when my son was a toddler, he used to BEG me EVERY day to put on my LOUIS JORDAN'S GREATEST HITS LP so he could dance to "Track Jack", as he called "Choo Choo Ch'Boogie", so I got him in my heard pretty strongly!). Doesn't really sound like Bostic at all, except superficially.

Edited by JSngry

I was surprised none of the Jazz in Paris collectors recognized this one. Solal's greatness is undisputed, Sadi was a perfect match...

I plead guilty... <_<

I'm even more guilty since I thought about this session and could not locate the reissue CD where it is included. More reason to rearrange my music collection...

Not really....

I was glad I had all that stuffed typed, so I didn't look into Bruyninckx ... :rolleyes:

Of course there were numerous sessions for RCA and Mercury, Lou-Wa (no kidding!), Warwick, Tangerine, Pzazz, Cinema, Blues Spectrum, Black & Blue, and JSP. I have edited my post accordingly. That Pzazz LP cover you linked beats 'em all!

Only a little to add on disc 2

Enjoyed more of disc 2 and again guessed none of it. I love vibes so will definitely check out more of Tjader (where do I start?) Stand out for me was Johnny "Guitar" Watson and wonder why I love the 'sound' of this, imperfect though it is. Maybe it reminds me of FM radio processed sound or just the crap stereos I grew up with cranked up...

Oh and Harry Lookofsky loopy but brilliant.

Thanks Mike!

I love vibes so will definitely check out more of Tjader (where do I start?) Stand out for me was Johnny "Guitar" Watson and wonder why I love the 'sound' of this, imperfect though it is. Maybe it reminds me of FM radio processed sound or just the crap stereos I grew up with cranked up...

The Watson was a British reissue, IIRC, and should be available used somewhere. Ask for the cover! ;)

As for Tjader, you want to start with Latin or Jazz?

I'm still in terminal shock over the Johnny 'Guitar' Watson revelation. I'd have sworn that was either McCann or the Mastersounds. Ah well ! The Lookofsky is also a big suprise. I was aware of his work with Quincy Jones on 70s albums such as 'Smackwater Jack' but not this earlier stuff. Of course once you mention the name, the penny starts to drop in recognition of the style..

:rhappy:

Edited by sidewinder

Jazz for Tjader for sure. All I have (somewhere) is a session with Art Pepper in Japan

Here are available Tjader jazz CDs with Fantasy material from the 1950's without any Latin stuff on 'em:

Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-275-2 Cal Tjader/Stan Getz Sextet

Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-436-2 Cal Tjader - Jazz At The Blackhawk

Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-950-2 Cal Tjader Quartet

Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-988-2 Cal Tjader - Tjader Plays Jazz

Fantasy FCD-24771-2 Cal Tjader - Our Blues

Fantasy FCD-24775-2 Cal Tjader Plays Harold Arlen & West Side Story

This one has the early trios coupled with a jazz session with Hank Jones on Rhodes piano and Shelly Manne from 1976:

Fantasy FCD-24764-2 Cal Tjader - Extremes

And this one has the San Francisco Moods Suite I love so much but also a Latin Bolero ballads album:

Fantasy FCD-24742-2 Cal Tjader - Sentimental Moods

Finally, two live CDs with mixed material - the first is 2/3 jazz, the second 1/3 jazz:

Prestige PRCD-24026-2 Cal Tjader - Monterey Concerts

Fantasy FCD-24755-2 Cal Tjader - Black Hawk Nights

The later jazzy stuff on Verve, Fantasy or Concord is unavailable except for the 1976 Galaxy on the Extremes CD above, or the 1981 Concord with Scott Hamilton The Shining Sea, which was reissued in a double package with a Latin LP.

• 4 years later...

Bringing up this five-year-old thread because it still remains one of my favorite BFTs after all this time (spinning it right now, again for the umpteenth millionth time!). Now, thanks the Concord blowout, I believe my collection now has more CDs from this BFT than any others (including my own, I'm pretty sure):

Track 3: Sir Charles Thompson: Mr. Big Horn (Charles Thompson)

Delmark CD DD-450 Takin' Off.

Track 12: Cal Tjader Trio - Vibra-Tharpe (Cal Tjader)

Fantasy FCD-24764-2 Extremes.

Track 13: The Ron Crotty Trio - Ginza (Vince Guaraldi)

Fantasy FCD-24760-2 The Jazz Scene: San Francisco

Track 15: Cal Tjader Quartet - Triplet Blues, 6th movement of the San Francisco Suite (Cal Tjader)

Fantasy FDC-24742-2 Sentimental Moods.

Track 21: Cal Tjader - Mambo at the "M" (Luis Kant)

Fantasy FCD-24730-2 Black Orchid.

So, once again Mike, thanks for an absolutely fantastic and unbelievably swinging BFT!!!