Just in or coming soon.....

wolff

Grant Green: The Final Comedown... Pure Pleasure Records (Blue Note) $30

Al Cohn: Cohn On The Saxophone...Sundazed(Dawn)We tracked down the vintage Dawn master tapes $17.99

Hank Garland: Subtle Swing... Sundazed (Sesac) $17.99

Joe Williams: Me And The Blues ....Speakers Corner(RCA LSP-2879) $30

Personnel: Joe Williams (voc); Jimmy Jones, Oliver Nelson (arr, cond); Hank Jones, Junior Mance (p); Thad Jones, Clark Terry (tp); Phil Woods (as); Ben Webster, Seldon Powell (ts); Urbie Green (tb); Milton Hinton (b); Kenny Burrell (g); Osie Johnson (dr)

Randy Weston: Little Niles ....Pure Pleasure Records (United Artists) $30

Cal Tjader: La Onda Va Bien ....Pure Audiophile $50 :tdown

$30 for the Final Comedown reissue? The music is not that great, and at that price, it is a rip off.

I would be wary of Sundazed reissues on vinyl -- I had several and they mostly sound worse than the cds -- with the exception of the Stooges' Fun House. The others (Ides of March, Link Wray, etc) sound tinny.

I have about 10+ Sundazed titles(Dylan, Redding, Booker T) and like them tremendously and would not hesitate to buy more.

I subscribe.

My Sundazeds are fairly good and the price was around 15 bucks at Acousticsounds. If you could find a mono pristine original of "Blonde on Blonde" for less than 200 bucks you would be very, very lucky.

Just saying. I thought you were a stickler for high quality vinyl. Of course it is a better alternative than paying a lot of money for originals, all I am saying is the remastering job isn't all that great. Not in every instance, but enough to make me pause whenever they do come out with new reissues. For instance, I bought the Link Wray 2 lp edition of Swan singles, and I thought the sound was horrible, especially when compared to the 2 cd set that Norton had put out several years ago. But the Stooges reissue sounded very nice. I guess my point is I don't buy the notion that just because it is on vinyl means it sounds better.

I guess my point is I don't buy the notion that just because it is on vinyl means it sounds better.

Nor the original lps are always so better than good remastered cds. It depends on mastering and pressing of originals. In Italy the quality of vinyl has been always very bad, so italian originals (I mean a italian Impulse! or Columbia) is usually awful. The reissues of Get Back and Earmark are even worst!!

I go for american, german, dutch or UK pressings.

Of course a true original american first pressing of labels like BN, Prestige, Impulse!, ecc. are IMHO usually better than any remastered cd I listened to.

Edited by porcy62

I would be wary of Sundazed reissues on vinyl -- I had several and they mostly sound worse than the cds

I do appreciate the heads-up on these titles and would like your thoughts on other titles to avoid. Maybe, I assumed you were putting Sundazed down, as a whole.

I'm sure you are right about the title you mentioned. Like I've said before, I think they(the titles I have) are pretty good overall. But then again, I do not have many of the originals or CD's to compare them to.

I have originals and Sundazed reissues of Otis Blue and Born Under A Bad Sign(one of the first LP's I ever listened to..kept it when my brother left home) and find the reissues to be splendid in comparison.

Spinlps...Pure Pleasure is a new outfit to me, too. Once they build up the size of their catalog we should hear some feedback.

It seems like the vinyl only issues (Bob Dylan, Stooges, etc) are the worthy ones to get. The ones I am criticizing are the ones where Sundazed releases them in both formats. Perhaps they do a shortcut and master it for the cd and then slap it on lp.

My criticisms are part devil's advocate and part personal experience. I love vinyl like everyone else, but they do have advantages and disadvantages, as do cds.

And not all great sounding music comes from big name labels. I picked up a Janos Starker 3 lp set of the Bach solo cello works, reissued by Golden Imports (Mercury Records from Holland) in the 60's, and the sound is stunning. Sounds like the man is playing in my room. Paid $3. Also, London Treasury series (red label), and certain RCA stereo late 60's dynagroove sound fantastic. And can be bought on the cheap.

As for Sundazed, I did like the Stooges and Love reissues.

Edited by Stefan Wood

It seems like the vinyl only issues (Bob Dylan, Stooges, etc) are the worthy ones to get. The ones I am criticizing are the ones where Sundazed releases them in both formats. Perhaps they do a shortcut and master it for the cd and then slap it on lp.

My criticisms are part devil's advocate and part personal experience. I love vinyl like everyone else, but they do have advantages and disadvantages, as do cds.

And not all great sounding music comes from big name labels. I picked up a Janos Starker 3 lp set of the Bach solo cello works, reissued by Golden Imports (Mercury Records from Holland) in the 60's, and the sound is stunning. Sounds like the man is playing in my room. Paid $3. Also, London Treasury series (red label), and certain RCA stereo late 60's dynagroove sound fantastic. And can be bought on the cheap.

As for Sundazed, I did like the Stooges and Love reissues.

I agree that those Golden Imports have terrific sound. I grab them whenever I find them.

I can add my endorsement of two of the Dylan Sundazed LPs: Highway 61 Revisited and Bringing it All back Home. Both sound very good to me. Both are mono, and Highway 61 stands up very well against my original mono of that. I don't have the original stereos to compare them to, but I understand the mixes are significantly different. That would be a fun comparison.