Bennie Green Mosaic Select

Got the new Bennie Green Mosaic last week- it's an excellent set! Soulful bop that moves and grooves, and doesn't get boring. There is great tenor throughout these sessions (Charlie Rouse, Gene Ammons, Ike Quebec & Stan The Man-and the unsung Eddy Williams). Sonny Clark is on three of these sessions also. Here's a big "thumbs up" to Mosaic for this one, oh and the sound is terrific on these discs too! :D

I agree with desertblues 100% on this. My main concern was getting the Randy Weston and I almost held off on the Green until later. Well am I glad I didn't! Started listening to the Bennie Green Select last night (after coming back from a weekend trip) and it's very solid. Much more impressive than I expected, actually. The musicianship by the sidemen is consistantly high calliber, both "names" and relative unknowns like Eddy Williams. Having Sonny Clark on three sessions doesn't hurt either, but the other pianist, I think his name was Knight, wasn't bad at all. Anybody who gets this expecting an "also ran" Mosaic collection may be in for a pleasant surprise.

I don't have the Mosaic, but I have this material. Great stuff. Full of spirit and humor and drive. This was an inspired choice for the Select series. I think you'll find that Bennie Green's Bethlehem, OJC label and other sessions are worth exploring as well.

• 4 months later...

I finally caught up with this one this week, ordered it along with the Ellington Reprise box and the new Allen Eager Uptown release.

Outstanding! I had all the music, but 3/4 of it only in the form of CD-R's, not all of them in the greatest of sound for some reason, or, in the case of the CONGO LAMENT stuff, a very old Collectors Choice remastering (Ike Quebec's EASY LIVING). So this music has never sounded better to me! McMaster did a very fine job on this set, some of the problems with muffling and harshness at the high end that I find on the Moncur Select did not occur here. Green's trombone sounds full and rich, you can really better appreciate his unique tone now.

The music itself is just fun from start to finish, some of the most enjoyable mainstream stuff of the era. The swing and jump influence, more prevalent here than in much hard bop, really does set it apart. Check it out!

• 2 weeks later...

I was planning to purchase ALL the Selects since they were initially introduced. I purchased the Grachan and the Carmell when they were new sets. I didn't purchase the next two Selects since I wasn't famliar with the artists.

I'm glad to see the Bennie Green getting good reviews. I'm thinking of purchasing the Green and the Weston soon. I'm not familiar with either man but I've learned much from Mosaic and Blue Note through the years.

• 2 weeks later...

I formerly used "Soul Stirrin" for the theme to my radio program, but now have a version of Green's "hit" record "Blow Your Horn" to open the show. Love this guy. Have his Chess Record with Sonny Stitt, and a few sides with Earl Hines, too. He's also on an early 50's Miles Davis Prestige session, or Davis was on Green's.

It also includes the albums Back On the Scene, The 45 Session, Walkin' and Talkin', and Congo Lament (an Ike Quebec album that Bennie Green plays on). I've bought four Selects so far, and this one has gotten the most play at my house. I think it's well worth getting and you'll like it a lot.

• 4 months later...

I was listening to the Bennie Green Select while driving in my car. On the song, Walkin'and Talkin', with Eddy Williams on the tenor... There is a familiar set of notes that Williams plays. The line of notes sound familiar, I believe they are from a classical music composition, and I'm thinking Bach. Is it Bach?

Blues for Bartok-

Do my eyes deceive me?  A fellow Red Sox fan, living in the center of the Evil Empire??? ;)

Your eyes do not deceive you. And let me tell ya, it's a struggle everyday but you gotta believe.

Between last year's ALCS and the A-Rod trade it's been one slap in the face after another. :(

Edited by bluesForBartok

• 5 years later...

I don't know what to do ... I have all the music on Japanese Blue Note LPs - should I go for the Select anyway before it goes OOP?

Like you Mike, I'm undecided. I have all the music on Japanese Vinyl/TOCJ etc. I would really like the select but my instinct says keep what I have. The music is however, essential.

I don't know what to do ... I have all the music on Japanese Blue Note LPs - should I go for the Select anyway before it goes OOP?

Like you Mike, I'm undecided. I have all the music on Japanese Vinyl/TOCJ etc. I would really like the select but my instinct says keep what I have. The music is however, essential.

I won't be buying this one as I have all the material scattered across a combination of Conn Cd/ TOCJ CDs,/ BN vinyl and and Classic records vinyl, not as handy for sure but everything is covered and it's essential.

Speaking just for myself, I don't buy Mosiac sets if I have all the material already - on LPs or CDs. But that's just me.