Just got broadband!

Shrdlu

These young whippersnappers have this newfangled thing called broadband internet. What will they think of next?

Anyway, we just got set up with it, and what a difference!

It means that I can post much more easily now! Yee Haa!

:rfr

(I still don't know what that symbol means, but I love it!)

These young whippersnappers have this newfangled thing called broadband internet. What will they think of next?

Anyway, we just got set up with it, and what a difference!

It means that I can post much more easily now! Yee Haa!

:rfr

(I still don't know what that symbol means, but I love it!)

You have just gone from driving a old Volvo, to a Vette!!! :tup

Somewhere in Europe, a boardmember is saying, "Why'd he have to use a Volvo for the comparison???" :huh:

The last hurricane knocked our DSL off for almost ten days, and it was hell. They give you a free dial-up backup, so its not like we were permanently offline, but once you've had broadband there's no way to go back to dial up.

Our version of Windows tells you your connection speed is, and our 56K modem was running at like, 44K, and that got me to thinking how, only a few years ago, 56K connection was "state of the art" :rmad::g

Berigan, you haven't been in my Volvo! It's an '86 760 GLE, and it goes like a scalded hen. Corners well for such a staid-looking car, too. The guy who repairs it was sitting in the passenger seat recently when I drove him back to his shop, and he said "What do you have in the tank, rocket fuel?"

Last night, I left an intersection onto a fast road after a more narrow, slow section, and I saw a fairly large bike in the rear view mirror. He obviously thought he would weave around me and pull away, but he couldn't get near! It must have really surprised him.

The same engine is used in one of the Peugeot models, but with an added turbo. That must nearly make it airborne! (I liked the crack on "Car Talk" when the brothers lamented the fact that Peugeots were disappearing from America - they said that they had enjoyed ridiculing them.)

Berigan, you haven't been in my Volvo! It's an '86 760 GLE, and it goes like a scalded hen. Corners well for such a staid-looking car, too. The guy who repairs it was sitting in the passenger seat recently when I drove him back to his shop, and he said "What do you have in the tank, rocket fuel?"

Last night, I left an intersection onto a fast road after a more narrow, slow section, and I saw a fairly large bike in the rear view mirror. He obviously thought he would weave around me and pull away, but he couldn't get near! It must have really surprised him.

The same engine is used in one of the Peugeot models, but with an added turbo. That must nearly make it airborne! (I liked the crack on "Car Talk" when the brothers lamented the fact that Peugeots were disappearing from America - they said that they had enjoyed ridiculing them.)

Geez, first we find out you are a Canadian, then we find you have a Volvo!!! :o

Glad you have a good Volvo....I'll now cover my butt, and say I meant one of these Volvos....

ovidiu_ionescu_volvo.jpg

Canadian is just one of my citizenships, ha, ha!

Those old 1960s 122s were the models that really put Volvo on the map. They look very dated now, but the B18 and B20 engines were very good, and were carried over to the great 144 models in the 70s. You can still get parts for those 122s! One of them did over a million miles!

My '86 model looks a little different! It would have cost a fortune when new, but they last long enough to be affordable second-hand, and that's how I could afford one. It had actually been written off by the previous owner's insurance company, after suffering a small fire under the hood. You would never know that there had been a fire. All it destroyed was the wiring loom, and the guy that fixes Volvos near me simply put in a new loom from a wreck. After a few of the usual minor replacements, it has been a superb car. When I phoned the previous owner, to see if he had any more keys for it, he was ticked off to hear that it was running again. "I loved that car", he wailed.

Yeah, get an after-market firewall, learn how to use it, and keep it updated!

Same thing w/anti-virus software. Essential!

And even though the "always on"feature is convinient, it won't hurt anything to turn the modem off when you're not using it. Pretty good safety practice actually, afaic.

You got cable or DSL?