The Bar-B- Que Pit

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One serious culinary shortcoming in Manhattan is the lack of decent barbeque restaurants. There's a place ill-traveled New Yorkers swear by in Times Square called Virgil's - if you come to visit, don't be deceived. It's not offensive (which ranks it higher than most bbq spots in town) but it's far from impressive. I agree that you have to go south (or buy your own bbq grill and pick up someone's cooking secrets) to get the best bbq. However, if you find yourself with a craving for bbq and you happen to be in Portland, OR, there's a place called Tennessee Red's that's very impressive.

PS: If any NYers reading this know of good bbq places in the city, by all means share yoiur knowledge.

PPS: Had some DELICIOUS jerked pork in Jamaica this week.

Edited by J Larsen

• 2 weeks later...

JSngry-That story about the Mexican Food place brought back a horrific memory. I went to a Mexican Food place in the town of Gold Hill,Oregon and ordered a chicken burrito.I took one bite of it and discovered much to my dismay that the Chicken that they used was of the canned variety. My friends dog was a happy camper that night and I was a hungry one. :angry:

Edited by chris olivarez

I just bought a new BQ grill last weekend. I lived for 7 years in the center of Paris. No BQ allowed!

Now I am going to fire up those coals and get back to the good work I left behind.

No bottled sauce for me. You got make it from scratch. I've had a mean one for chicken for many years and can do good fish, but I'm still in the market for good ones to slab on ribs. Any offers?

co51.jpg

• 2 months later...

One serious culinary shortcoming in Manhattan is the lack of decent barbeque restaurants. There's a place ill-traveled New Yorkers swear by in Times Square called Virgil's - if you come to visit, don't be deceived. It's not offensive (which ranks it higher than most bbq spots in town) but it's far from impressive. I agree that you have to go south (or buy your own bbq grill and pick up someone's cooking secrets) to get the best bbq. However, if you find yourself with a craving for bbq and you happen to be in Portland, OR, there's a place called Tennessee Red's that's very impressive.

PS: If any NYers reading this know of good bbq places in the city, by all means share yoiur knowledge.

PPS: Had some DELICIOUS jerked pork in Jamaica this week.

There used to be a good rib joint on either First or Second Ave in the 50s called Wyle's. I don't know if they're still in business, but they grilled up a nice rack. Also offered a nice fried onion brick.

• 8 months later...

i'm not a big fan of what i consider "texas-style" barbecue, because its sugary sauce is too sweet for my taste. i prefer southern style: dry-rub, slow-cooked, with a more vinegary sauce.

Well, I'm with you regarding the Texas stuff--I'm not really a fan--but I don't really like the Memphis/Carolina style either. As you might have guessed from my avatar, I'm originally from Kansas City and them roots run deep. Any other kind of BBQ tastes weak to me. Texas-style is indeed too sweet (for me) and that thin sauce in Memphis is just too watery. Plus, I appreciate the KC emphasis on beef, especially burnt ends.

It is my opinion that Arthur Bryant's has to be among the best in the world. I always go whenever I'm back home.

brooklyn.jpg

Edited by Brandon Burke

i'm not a big fan of what i consider "texas-style" barbecue, because its sugary sauce is too sweet for my taste. i prefer southern style: dry-rub, slow-cooked, with a more vinegary sauce.

Well, I'm with you regarding the Texas stuff--I'm not really a fan--but I don't really like the Memphis/Carolina style either. As you might have guessed from my avatar, I'm originally from Kansas City and them roots run deep. Any other kind of BBQ tastes weak to me. Texas-style is indeed too sweet (for me) and that thin sauce in Memphis is just too watery. Plus, I appreciate the KC emphasis on beef, especially burnt ends.

It is my opinion that Arthur Bryant's has to be among the best in the world. I always go whenever I'm back home.

brooklyn.jpg

Ooooooooooooh ... Arthur Bryant's is the BEST. It is very close to 18th & Vine, so any self-respecting jazz fan would have to stop by for lunch or dinner.

All the meats are roasted in a pit right behind the counter ... fries are cooked in LARD and are heavenly. You can get your brew or your RED POP, which somehow works. Best is the SAUCE, which is orange and is usually described (by those who love it and despise it) as "tasting like sandpaper". Sandwiches are served on white bread and sauce is applied with a paintbrush. The hallmarks of quality are the two orange thumbprints left by the counterman after he cuts it in half with a butcher knife.

Some nights it is only OK, but most nights it is near orgasmic :excited::excited::excited:

Edited by Eric

I grilled some babyback ribs last weekend.

Marinated for 6 hours before in a beer brine. :tup

Chris,

What's the secret to the brining? I made up some sauce this past weekend... heavy on the onion and granny smith apples with a bit of zing... and so much vinegar that you can't stick your head over the pot while it's cooking down. Got a big jar left over and would love to do up some ribs just like the Hole In The Wall. ;) Never did ribs at home as I've always considered it to be a holy grail of sorts.

Best is the SAUCE, which is orange and is usually described (by those who love it and despise it) as "tasting like sandpaper".

My buddy Ben and I decided this is because of the liberal helping of celery seed they include in the sauce. BTW: when I was home over Easter weekend, I brought back 6 bottles with me. :g

As for the sodas, any self-respecting BBQ fan knows that, depending on availability, you either get (1) a strawberry soda, (2) a "red" soda, or (3) and orange soda to accompany your meal. It's a simple as that.

Best is the SAUCE, which is orange and is usually described (by those who love it and despise it) as "tasting like sandpaper".

My buddy Ben and I decided this is because of the liberal helping of celery seed they include in the sauce. BTW: when I was home over Easter weekend, I brought back 6 bottles with me. :g

only six??? :P

I have been known to make a sammich with ONLY sauce and white bread (if the house is temporarily low on meat) ... the stuff is downright intoxicating :wub: