The Bar-B- Que Pit

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made some babyback ribs over the weekend that turned out damn good.

In celebration of the grillin' season, I thought I would share it.

I coat the ribs with a little olive oil and then salt, pepper, and rub with spices of your choice.

Wrap the slabs in foil and place in the oven at 300 for 2 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and take the foil off. Let stand for 10-15 minutes then throw them on the grill for about 4-5 minutes per side. Brush with homemade or your favorite store bought sauce. They will indeed fall right off the bones.

Of course you can slow cook on the grill over indirect heat as well for hours. Although when wrapped in foil I have had success cooking on the grill in about 1-1 1/2 hours.

:tup

I coat the ribs with a little olive oil and then salt, pepper, and rub with spices of your choice.

Wrap the slabs in foil and place in the oven at 300 for 2 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and take the foil off. Let stand for 10-15 minutes then throw them on the grill for about 4-5 minutes per side. Brush with homemade or your favorite store bought sauce. They will indeed fall right off the bones.

So you grilled 'em after cooking them in the oven? Is that a common practice? Don't they start to fall apart on the grill? Do you remove that membrane thingy on the back?

I'll have to try that, sounds good!

So you grilled 'em after cooking them in the oven? Is that a common practice? Don't they start to fall apart on the grill? Do you remove that membrane thingy on the back?

I'll have to try that, sounds good!

Yep.

It's the first time I ever tried it this way. Normally I would just grill from start to finish. From what I understand this is a common practice for many restaurants that feature ribs on the menu but do not have the ability to slow cook for hours and hours.

And yes, they can come apart if you're not careful. I had only a minor probelm with one of the slabs. I used a large spatula and tongs to handle them from the plate to the grill and visa versa.

The guy at the butcher shop did me a solid and removed the membrane.

BBQing thread! Yes!

I love smoking meat in the backyard. It started out as a whim, but it is a full blown hobby now. I am obessed with it.

I bought a New Braunfels smoker a couple of years ago, and I use it nearly every weekend, and sometimes during the week as well.

Charcoal or Gas? No propane for me thanks. In fact I have gotten away from even using lighter fluid to get the coals going. I save my newspapers and use that. And for charcoal, I prefer the Mexican made Mesquite chunk style. Ironically it is available in US stores - at least down here - but environmental laws outlaw its manufacture in the states.

This stuff lights very easy and burns hot.

Wood? I use Mequite a lot, but lately I have been using Hickory and Oak. There are so many options really. Apple works great with turkey.

Speaking of the big bird, I smoked a 13 pounder for the 4th. I soaked it 12 hours in brine, rubbed it down with butter, then a homemade grub rub. Then I took a large mexican soup can (larger than the Campbells style), cut the top off and removed the paper from the outside. I filled in 3/4 of the way with chicken broth. Then I sat the bird on top of it (yes, I shoved it up the ass of the turkey). With the two legs and the can serving as a tripod, I sat it down on the far side from the smoke box, and smoked it for 7 hours. When the skin started turning dark, I covered it with aluminum foil for the rest of the time.

This method of cooking a turkey insures the moistest result you could ever hope for! It was great.

By the way, about halfway through the cooking, I poured a beer down inside of the bird and into the can.

Sangrey asked about country style ribs. YES! They are the best buy in the pork section of the market. Great stuff. Meaty as hell and tasty to beat.

Here is what my baby looks like.

I want to buy a much more serious smoker, but with just me and the wife here, I can't logically justify spending the $500 or more that I would have to in order to get my dream model. I have been sketching designs for making my own in the future though! Ah, dreams are fun!

http://www.corkysbbq.com/store/combination_N.htm

anyone try corky's bbq

thinking of putting in an order this week

maybe splitting an order of beef and bird

Hey SS1,

How you doin'? Me, I'm bbq'ng with my wife. Man we like to light up the grill (charcoal is our choice by the way). Nothing like that real smoke going through those ribs and chicken or whatever delicacy we choose. Our sauce has a starting base of Cris & Pitts Hickory sauce. We add our own recipe to that. We always cook from scratch BUT are considering using that oven idea first and then finishing up on the grill.

Happy bbq'ng :D

Oh yeah, thanks for posting that Corkys website. yum yum

Memphis Throw Down $249.99

10 Slabs of Ribs

4 Bottles Bar-B-Que Sauce

1 Bottle Rib Seasoning

5 PT Baked Beans

3 Pies (Fudge or Pecan)

Price includes FedEx 2-day delivery

This is the package you want if you need to feed up to 20 with ribs and the fixings. All ribs are shipped individually boxed if you are just stocking up!

that's nuthin'!

A Wild Boar for the President

By Björn Hengst in Trinwillershagen, Germany

Officials in the eastern German state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania are feverishly preparing for a visit by US President George Bush next week. A local hunter is trying to shoot the perfect wild boar for the event and 12,000 police and a jet full of Secret Service agents have descended on the area. Most residents, however, are worried about the €12-million security costs.

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/internatio...,425422,00.html

luckily no "cow" on the menu! :rfr

Tonite - Pizza on the grill ~ like having your own wood fired oven.

You toss on the dough, cook one side, flip it add the toppings. You’ll want to avoid heavy cheese or other stuff that needs a lot of heat to melt or warm up.

Not for the recommended for the very hairy arm crowd.

Edited by (BB)

Tonite - Pizza on the grill ~ like having your own wood fired oven.

You toss on the dough, cook one side, flip it add the toppings. You’ll want to avoid heavy cheese or other stuff that needs a lot of heat to melt or warm up.

Not for the recommended for the very hairy arm crowd.

Pizza on the grill is the only way to go. :tup

According to the Barbecue Bible today is a day for wings. Not just any wings but Buffa-Que Wings.

I heard these wings being discussed on the radio last week. I think I will give them a try tonight.

The recipe straight from Steven Raichlen....

Method: Indirect grilling

Advance preparation: 4 to 12 hours for marinating the wings

For the wings and marinade:

16 whole chicken wings (about 31/2 pounds)

1/2 cup Tabasco sauce or your favorite hot sauce

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

1/4 cup vegetable oil

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 teaspoons coarse salt (kosher or sea)

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

For the mop sauce:

8 tablespoons (1 stick) salted butter

1/2 cup Tabasco sauce or your favorite hot sauce

For serving:

Blue Cheese Sauce or dressing

4 ribs celery, rinsed and cut into thirds lengthwise, then cut crosswise into roughly 3-inch sticks

You’ll also need: 1 1/2 cups wood chips or chunks (preferably hickory or oak), soaked for 1 hour in water to cover, then drained

Rinse the chicken wings under cold running water and blot them dry with paper towels. Cut the tips off the wings and discard them (or leave the tips on if you don’t mind munching a morsel that’s mostly skin and bones). Cut each wing into 2 pieces through the joint.

Make the marinade: Whisk together the hot sauce, lemon juice, oil, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large nonreactive mixing bowl. Stir in the wing pieces and let marinate in the refrigerator, covered, for 4 to 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning the wings several times so that they marinate evenly.

Make the mop sauce: Just before setting up the grill, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir in the hot sauce.

Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium. If using a gas grill, place all of the wood chips or chunks in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and run the grill on high until you see smoke, then reduce the heat to medium. If using a charcoal grill, place a large drip pan in the center, preheat the grill to medium, then toss all of the wood chips or chunks on the coals.

When ready to cook, drain the marinade off the wings and discard the marinade. Brush and oil the grill grate. Place the wings in the center of the hot grate, over the drip pan and away from the heat, and cover the grill. Cook the wings until the skin is crisp and golden brown and the meat is cooked through, 30 to 40 minutes.

During the last 10 minutes, start basting the wings with some of the mop sauce.

Transfer the grilled wings to a shallow bowl or platter and pour the remaining mop sauce over them. Serve with the blue cheese sauce and celery for dipping and of course plenty of paper napkins and cold beer.

Yield: Makes 32 pieces