The Bar-B- Que Pit

Just picked up some really nice skirt steak. It's now marinating in lime juice, olive oil, soy sauce, red pepper, cumin, brown sugar, ancho chili powder, chipotle peppers and cllantro. In a couple hours I'll throw it on the grill along with some onion and green pepper and put it on a tortilla with a little sour cream, mango salsa and cilantro (along with an ice cold beer).

It's been awhile since I had time to do a Saturday grill project. :party:

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just picked up some really nice skirt steak. It's now marinating in lime juice, olive oil, soy sauce, red pepper, cumin, brown sugar, ancho chili powder, chipotle peppers and cllantro. In a couple hours I'll throw it on the grill along with some onion and green pepper and put it on a tortilla with a little sour cream, mango salsa and cilantro (along with an ice cold beer).

Sounds good. Makes me sorry I didn't go a smiliar route today.

Nonetheless, I will be grilling some king crab legs, split and brushed with a little olive oil, garlic, and butter.

Nonetheless, I will be grilling some king crab legs, split and brushed with a little olive oil, garlic, and butter.

Damn, that sounds good too!

Damn, that sounds good too!

The dude at my local fish market turned me on to the grilling thing.

Like most seafood though, you need to be careful not to leave them on too long.

So right at the time when I was going to start grilling the skies opened up. One of those storms that just hovered in one place, right over my crib. Sometimes I really fucking hate living in Florida- I often wonder if this is where I'm going to "end up". Rain, rain, rain. <_< I wish the rain would go to where it's needed, up on Berigan's head. :rsmile:

Finally it blew over and I was able to grill the meat and veggies. Very tasty, although about 3 hours later than planned. Medium rare skirt steak, carmelized veggies, yum!

So right at the time when I was going to start grilling the skies opened up. One of those storms that just hovered in one place, right over my crib. Sometimes I really fucking hate living in Florida- I often wonder if this is where I'm going to "end up". Rain, rain, rain. <_< I wish the rain would go to where it's needed, up on Berigan's head. :rsmile:

Finally it blew over and I was able to grill the meat and veggies. Very tasty, although about 3 hours later than planned. Medium rare skirt steak, carmelized veggies, yum!

Berigan's head, go on. muttley.gif

Marinating some chicken wings in olive oil, tabasco, garlic, lemon juice, worcestershire, salt and pepper.

Will cook them tonight on the grill indirectly for about 40 minutes.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! :party:

So will 40 minutes on the grill make the skin crispy? That's the critical issue w/chicken wings IMO.

Where I was born, near Genova, we use to cook meat (or fish) on a hot slate, with wood's fire. It's called 'carne in sa ciappa' in genoan dialect.

Another famous grilled meat is the 'fiorentina': a huge beef steek from 'chianina', a breed of cow original of Tuscany.

In Roma the most common grilled meat is 'abbacchio': baby lambs butchered before they left breastfeeding.

I am sure Catesta knows them very well. :)

you must keep an eye on your wings that has a sauce on them

they will burn quickly

I think the indirect grilling method keeps them from cooking too quickly (as opposed to cooking them right over the coals). The marinade shouldn't burn much unless it drips directly on the coals.

If there's a sugar-based sauce it goes on right at the end and for a very short time, just long enough to carmelize.

Marinating some chicken wings in olive oil, tabasco, garlic, lemon juice, worcestershire, salt and pepper.

Will cook them tonight on the grill indirectly for about 40 minutes.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! :party:

So will 40 minutes on the grill make the skin crispy? That's the critical issue w/chicken wings IMO.

I usually go a little longer and if they aren't crispy enough, I crank the heat up on one side and go direct for a few minutes while basting them.

There is no shortage of flavor on these little suckers.

you must keep an eye on your wings that has a sauce on them

they will burn quickly

I think the indirect grilling method keeps them from cooking too quickly (as opposed to cooking them right over the coals). The marinade shouldn't burn much unless it drips directly on the coals.

If there's a sugar-based sauce it goes on right at the end and for a very short time, just long enough to carmelize.

Yep.

And you can use a drip pan for added flare up protection.

Where I was born, near Genova, we use to cook meat (or fish) on a hot slate, with wood's fire. It's called 'carne in sa ciappa' in genoan dialect.

Another famous grilled meat is the 'fiorentina': a huge beef steek from 'chianina', a breed of cow original of Tuscany.

In Roma the most common grilled meat is 'abbacchio': baby lambs butchered before they left breastfeeding.

I am sure Catesta knows them very well. :)

Bistecca Fiorentina I know very well. I even know a guy that keeps Chianina near New York.

Abbacchio can be found but it's not easy. A specialty butcher in Fresh Meadows (Ottomanelli) carries it at times.

I don't eat much of any lamb, so I don't search for it. Did have it prepared for me though, but it was all the way up in Fidenza of all places.

• 8 months later...

Yes, marinated* skirt steak. In tortillas w/grilled onions & peppers. Quite tasty.

*lime juice, olive oil, scallions, garlic, brown sugar, chipotle, cumin & red pepper flakes all done up in the blender. A true miracle of tenderization. :party:

EDIT: I get the grill VERY hot and cook the meat fast- carmelized on the outside and med. rare on the inside. Sliced on the bias and melt-in-yo-mouf. Served with black beans. The onions & peppers are sauteed in a cast iron skillet on the grill, sizzlin' hot.

Beers too. This weekend it's Blackened Voodoo, a Dixie product.

2910794142_e394d9abb3.jpg

Edited by Free For All

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...