Packaging Oddities

Aggie87

I have given my 2001 CTI/Legacy reissue of Red Clay a few spins this week, and was reading through the notes, etc. Just noticed on the back of the package that on the bonus track they have George Benson listed as playing tenor saxophone, alongside Stanley T. Man, there's a cutting contest! :P

What, you're implying that a dumbass guitar player couldn't pick up a horn every once in a while and blow with the best of 'em??? :angry::rmad:

That sort of reminds me of Radiohead's "Kid A" album from a couple years ago. Turns out if you removed the clear tray, there was an extra 12-14 page booklet hidden in there, instead of just a printed back tray card. But it pretty much escaped detection just at a glance.

I don't know if this was just done for the first pressings, or if they're still doing it today...

I think it was just the first pressing. Maybe even a limited edition. If you went to the store and bought it the day it was released, you got this issue. It is an art booklet if I remember.

I was working at a record store when it came out, it was only the first pressing. I used to love telling people about it after they had the disc awhile because they would come back so happy, like I haf given them a present!

There was also a limited edition version, but it is made more like a book, than a standard CD.

Working at a record store for ten years I seen tons of weird CDs.

Here are a few off the top of my head:

I saw a Nirvana Nevermind CD that was misprinted "Neverming," of course the owner grabbed that one!

I had a customer bring back a Dylan Highway 61 because it had Robert Goulet's music on it, instead of Dylan's.

Their were many CDs in the first pressing of Miles Davis at Carnegie Hall Cd reissue that wouldn't play at all.

In general, I have seen a ton of quality control issues with Sony stuff. I have had to send the CDs back on my Louis Armstrong Complete Hot Fives and Charlie Christian boxsets because the discs were messed up.

The Armstrong had the CDs glued into the set and the CDs in the Christian had some substance I could not get off on them.

In both cases, Sony sent me a mailer to send back the CDs and sent me brand new clean CDs.

Let's see ...

Years ago when I bought the Pink Floyd "Shine On" box (it's since been sold -- i am an IDIOT!), Disc 2 of "The Wall" had 2 discs in the jewel case! Can't remember what happened to that one ...

My "Skies of America" has about 5 or six of those Sony yellow blurb stickers pasted on top of each other.

In college, my roomate bought the Velvet Underground "Peel Slowly and See" box. The first disc, which we were really looking forward to (it was an unreleased demo tape), contained, i believe, the most recent TLC album! Never seen the guy so pissed! ;)

Oh, when I was a kid, I bought Prince's soundtrack to the Batman (1989) film on vinyl (back when they still sold LP's in places like Sam Goody!) for $6.99. One side had the label printed on it twice.

Then there's the Bill Evans Verve that we all remember so fondly... :P

R

Man, don't get me started on this one.

I listened to the set for a few months one Fall/Winter and put it on the shelf for the following Spring/Summer/ Fall without touching it. I come back to spin the music again, pick it up off the shelf, and my hands are all brown from the rust, the shelf is all brown from the rust, and the CDs next to it were brown from the rust.

"no stems no seeds that we don't need..."

Nice "score", Dmitry!

:lol:

Speaking of packaging oddities - several years ago, after returning from a local record fair I was surprised to find a tightly rolled joint inside the jacket of "This Is Our Music" .

They knew a thing or two about customer service back in the sixties...

Erik -- my copy of that Evan Parker disc has the same problem!

Guess there was a bad batch then, Joe! I bought mine from Tower online. Wrote to them, and they credited me back the cost, and told me not to even bother sending them the disc back.

I can't in good conscience re-sell this disc, so I think I'm just going to throw it away. The novelty factor in this case doesn't do much for me. :P