Teddy Edwards tenor sax, other unknown, same arrangers

- Until it's time for you to go

- You'r gonna hear from me

- We've only just begun

- Wave

- Something

Was this ever released or whatever?

Thanks!

I'd be much more interested in this session if it hadn't been 1971 but ten years earlier!

Early in the Morning is a terrific LP she cut for Argo, with a bunch of Basie cats and Ramsey Lewis. Highly recommended if you ever see it!

That would be mine as well, which lowers my interest a little.

Have you heard the Higgins produced (and Higgins composed) Soul Symphony by the Three Sounds? Its not your father's Three Sounds anymore, I know, and AMG craps on it, but its really a pretty decent date, on its own merits, not the least of which is loads and loads of soulful Gene Harris piano.

Of course, I'm the former GHF, so your mileage may vary. :g

No, I've just heard the Blue Mitchell stuff he was involved in. I like it for waht it is, but I'm not sure what he could do for Lorez Alexander. Wouldn't mind hearing Teddy Edwards though, assuming that he actually made significant contributions.

Besides, the appeal of Ms. Alexander is something I'm still trying to figure out. I very much like the singers and all, but she's yet to connect too much with me. But lots of other people think otherwise, so...

Gotta look for those samplers, I guess.

Besides, the appeal of Ms. Alexander is something I'm still trying to figure out. I very much like the singers and all, but she's yet to connect too much with me. But lots of other people think otherwise, so...

Have you heard the Argo LP I mentioned above, Early in the Morning? Or one of her earliest, the King album Sings Pres?

• 14 years later...
On 10/21/2004 at 2:27 PM, JSngry said:

No, I've just heard the Blue Mitchell stuff he was involved in. I like it for waht it is, but I'm not sure what he could do for Lorez Alexander. Wouldn't mind hearing Teddy Edwards though, assuming that he actually made significant contributions.

Gotta look for those samplers, I guess.

By no means have I heard everything by Alexandria, but this might be the best single track by her that I know -- the most focused and swinging, the melody embellished in a way that elevates the expression rather than detracting from the narrative of the song. You can really hear the Sarah Vaughan influence in the second bridge. Great diction too. Having said all that that, the breath she takes at the end before the final "life" is a drag. Best moment for me is that final bridge and the ascending key change  going into the last A section. Also, Wynton Kelly really knew what the fuck he was doing behind singers.

Edited by Mark Stryker