Audio Magazines

Guest Chaney

Guest Chaney

I have a fairly nice sound system. It's cost me alot of money and I'm generaly pleased with the sound.

UNTIL the newest issue of The Abso!ute sounds comes out or I (ala Hardbop) peruse other audio mags both in print and online.

My latest fixation? Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300 Integrated Amplifier.

MusicalFidelityTRIvista.jpg

Cost? A mere $6000.

Before that? Well, it was speakers and a toss-up between the Quad 988, Von Schweikert Audio VR4 Gen III Special Edition and the VR5.

Before that? Turntables and the VPI Scout, Nottingham Spacedeck and the Linn LP12. (Not to mention The Well Tempered Reference Turntable and tonearm combo. Did you see the review in Abso!ute Sound?! Sweeeeet.)

As I'm not made of money, I can't and don't upgrade components very often but the craving is there.

Anyone else have their eye on an audio (or other) thing... which you'll most likely never buy or have a realistic hope in hell of ever being able to afford?

Edited by Chaney

Yeah, I'd like to hear an implementation of nuvista tubes in a MUCH simpler layout, because after my Zen amps from Decware, I find that the simplicity of the circuit makes such a difference!

I have a strange idea of one day owning the Integrated that Decware offers, or possibly the Torii. . . can't make up my mind, but don't have the meager dollars anyway, because to get either one would mean a new stand, new footer situation, etc. . . . Don't want to start the domino effect!

Otherwise I'm pretty damned happy with my system, especially amp and speakers. My next purchase would be a source; probably an SACD machine in the future, when there is a really nice one with a tubed preamp output. . . .

I quit reading audio mags about three years ago and have been very happy not doing so!

Over the last few years, after a long hiatus, I "upgraded" most of the components in my 2-channel music system to a gratifying and affordable level. Now we devote our audio money exclusively to recordings and live performances.

I've always spent 95% of my music-money on music (actually, probably more like 98% or 99%). My gear has always been substandard, but with all the great music that is here today, and out of print tomorrow (and with limited financial resources) - what else can you do???

I suppose I could have taken a couple thousand dollars and invested in a fancy system, but then I think what those $2K bought in terms of music over the past couple years, I think going the "cheap stereo" route is by far the better choice for me.

I'm always saying I'll upgrade my stuff when I win the lottery.