Album Of The Week: June 1 - 7

JSngry

Very inspiring thoughts Jim. I just placed an order for this album from BMG, and like a couple of other posters here, I confess that it will be the first Armstrong in my collection.

One quibble: you used my name in a negative context THREE TIMES! :winky:

Joe Gloss

Points well taken about Pops, Jim.

I told my wife more than a decade ago that I thought Louis Armstrong was underrated and she thought I was nuts. "EVEN I HAVE HEARD OF HIM" she let me know, which was pretty amazing at the time, really. :huh: But I still think he hasn't gotten his full due. He was just an amazing human being in so many ways!

Louis-Armstrong-1.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

Darned if I can remember exactly. . . . I was in the area sporadically from 1970 to 1980. . . I lived most of that time in Burton, Ohio, in the final abysmal two years of highscholl, then after two years at the University of Chicago I lived most of the rest of the time til late 1980 in Burton. Ten or twelve times a year or more I'd end up at the midnight movies in a theater in the area, and record shopping.

yes, I was there during the same years-so I'll bet we crossed paths. Record Revolution is the bigger of the 2 stores on Coventry. You may remember this store actually has a number of famous rock group signatures at various places on their walls. And I have been in Burton many times too. I remember it being well known for the Amish community. I grew up in this area and so have a lot of fond memories. Sorry yours weren't so good.

Ever go to the Smiling Dog Saloon on Cleveland's west side-great jazz bar. I was saw Dizzy Gillespie and Oregon and Miles (how's that for eclectic) in the early 70's

No, didn't make it ever to the Smiling Dog. Should have!

My experience would have been fine if I had lived there from when I was knee high to a grasshopper. But I didn't, and I was a fish out of water, and I really sort of have been in some ways since I came back from Africa. I came back kicking and screaming and I left part of me there at Waterford-Kamhlaba School!

Points well taken about Pops, Jim.

I told my wife more than a decade ago that I thought Louis Armstrong was underrated and she thought I was nuts. "EVEN I HAVE HEARD OF HIM" she let me know, which was pretty amazing at the time, really. :huh: But I still think he hasn't gotten his full due. He was just an amazing human being in so many ways!

Louis-Armstrong-1.jpg

Amen!

I don't know what to say about this album. I haven't listened to all of it yet but it's jazz and folk and american music and part of the great jazz tradition and music inspired by the tradition of early african american traditions. Like the liner notes say, if all W.C. Handy had ever written was St. Louis Blues, his reputation would have been cemented. But I loved the folk spirit imbued in Long Gone. Touched the times when I was a folk music junkie a long, long time ago. I'm not always big on vocals but I couldn't wait to hear Louis sing. Has anyone ever had a voice like that, in jazz or out?

I was really touched by what Lon said. It's not often that someone really, really opens up here and it really touched a chord here. While I was reading it, I was saying "Man, he should write his memoirs!" Perhaps his musical transition is what I empathasize with. Thank you for sharing that with us. :)

Well, you can add me to the list of people motivated to go out and get this one due to the comments made here. Not to say that this was something totally new to me. Far from it, in fact. When I first started dipping my toe (OK, jumping headfirst) into jazz, the Ella and Louis albums were the first ones I heard, essentially. And so among the earliest purchases I made were cassette copies of the Columbia Jazz Masterpiece reissues of Plays WC Handy and Satch Plays Fats. Even though I had seen used copies of the latest reissue, it was this thread that motivated me to finally pick it up and of course I am very happy that I did, and not only to reacquaint myself with such excellent music but also to hear it in such excellent sound.

Not much I can say to add to the comments above except to say that this album belongs in all jazz collections, and also to thank Lon for a very fine story and description of this album's significance to him.

I picked this up about five days ago and have found it to be just magnificent. The first time through, I'll admit, seemed to be repetitive because of the many blues tunes. The second spin, though, things really began to click for me, the solos, vocals, asides, emotions, etc. just seemed so PURE and unforced. And Louis is one guy that I've only just recently noticed, whose playing and signing, his whole art of conveying what HE has to say, is just majestic in its simplicity of delivery, yet profound in its effect on listeners. Prez is the only musician I can think of who's similar in this "majestic" aspect (I guess that's why he's called the President).

Anyway, thanks for choosing this Jim, a good recommendation as always. I look forward to many more playings of PLAYS W.C. HANDY in the future.

This really is a great choice of albums! When this latest reissue came out I was listening to blues almost exclusively, and this one kind of got me back into the wonderful world of jazz. It's all about the blues when you get right down to it. Kind of nostalgic too-one of the first record albums I ever bought was "Ambassador Satch" back in the day...

:rolleyes:

I haven't had the bread to buy this as of yet. However, I did find a vinyl copy at my local record shop that they kindly played while I was in the store. I heard only the first 3 cuts, but it didn't really jump out at me. Sounded a little too "pleasant," and I wasn't a fan of the female vocal very much. Armstrong's verbalisms during St. Louis Blues just sounded kind of vaudeville to me. I don't know, I'm not a huge subscriber to this era of music so mine is from a totally unknowledgeable mind about it.

I guess in my earlier post I asked about any dissenters. I hope I'm not dissenting just to fulfill my own prophecy here but.... I wasn't a fan enough to make me want to purchase it after hearing the first few songs. Quaint, but it didn't do much more than that for me.

...just curious...has anyone NOT liked this recording?  I always like to hear a dissenting opinion if there is one.  Just for balance! :D

I wasn't too thrilled either

Having a mostly modern centred record and cd collection I'm a little ashamed to say I have no Armstrong in my collection except for the odd sampler track. Fortunately I was able to borrow a vinyl copy of this album so I'm without any bonus tracks.

I looked forward to hearing this especially as this was the sort of music that introduced me to jazz in the first place. Regretably it didn't do much for me and I found my attention wandering halfway through the second side. That's not to say I didn't find things to enjoy, Louis' jaunty playing on Loveless Love and the out choruses on Yellow Dog for example. Bigard is a turn off for me, I've never found his vibrato attractive.

Despite my anticipation it was for me a pleasant enough hour and not much more though I'm sure it's fine stuff. I guess it must be too late for me to get back into this. But it's another good example of AOTW.  Sorry guys.

Edited by JohnS

Was listening to it again last night, and I s'pose if I have any gripe with it, it's that there's more singing than there is playing. Would've liked to have heard these guys really stretch out on these tunes. (Y'know, did they have to sing on every song?) But, what playing there is--and there's still a generous helping nonetheless--is still brilliant and exciting!

Okay, I'm over a week late, but what can I say? I was diggin' around at Borders with CD fever and decided to grab a copy. Excellent stuff! I must admit, I'm completely unfamiliar with most of Armstrong's career. I remember the "Hello, Dolly" and "Wonderful World" period from my childhood, and have had a few versions of the Hot Fives/Hot Sevens stuff (including the fantastic boxed set *shameless plug*). However, I had no way of knowing when the early Armstrong became the final Armstrong and was afraid to find out.

Now, I'm not going to kid myself or anyone else and say this disc reminds me of the Hot Five stuff; it doesn't. Obviously, it couldn't. An artist that doesn't change over time isn't an artist, he's an oldies act. But damn; he sure had it still on this one! In addition to Armstrong, I must confess to having absolutely no exposure whatsoever (that I can recall at least) to Trummy Young. I like!!!

You know, even those of us that aren't participating in the AOTW threads actively are really benefiting from this idea. Thanks for this week's version, JIm!

Edited by Jazzmoose

Late in the game here, so let me just be another to compliment Jim on his choice - wonderful album, and if it isn't the pioneering Louis of the early days it's certainly an eloquent statement by a master. His trumpet cuts like a knife while serenading, with nary a useless note. Big, luxurious Columbia 50's era studio sound.

Put me down as a Velma Middleton fan, too. I know many dislike her presence in this music, but I think it is not only enjoyable, it's crucial in creating a partner for Louis (he seemed to thrive off kinetic partnerships, from Lil to Hines to Teagarden etc).

• 5 months later...