Rock On with Zep...

tonym

What is your favourite Led Zep album?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, since the Rock On thread generated a bit of interest in the mighty Zep, I've decided to open it up a bit more....

What is your all-time favourite Led Zep album?

You can include the live ones eg. the BBC Sessions etc., whatever.

Just a bit of feedback and a bit of nostalgia will ensue for all who take part.

Go on...Squeeze my lemon baby!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mnytime

Untitled/Symbols/Ruins/Zoso/IV or whatever else comes to mind is my choice. Though II is not far behind, than Physical Graffiti.

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

It's a hard call, but I always vote for Physical Graffiti.

jeez...the dvd is really good.

:excited:

The 1970 Royal Albert Hall performance that is on the DVD was basically a silent film in 9 cans of film that Page bought the rights to. Than the remaining 3 members had to get together to watch and figure out what they where playing in the footage. So they could than sync the music they recorded of that performance to the footage being shown.

Edited by Mnytime

I voted for "Physical Graffiti", based on my memory of their albums, but to be honest - I don't own any Zeppelin CD's, and haven't listened to any Zep - other than the assorted tune or two on the radio every year - in probably over 10 years.

I've threatened to buy "Presence" several times, simply cuz it's the one without any tunes on it that are/were overplayed on Classic Rock radio. But everytime I sample "Presence", I think - "am I really gonna listen to this that much??" - and I always answer "no".

There are bits and pieces of all of their albums that I rather like, every now and then. The "Immigrant Song" is great, as is "Dazed and Confused". But most of it is burned in my brain a bit, from hearing it far too much as a teen (for me, in the early 80's) on Classic Rock radio, which is all I listened to back then.

I could probably assemble a single CD with all the Zep tunes I'd ever need to hear ever again.

( I did sorta like Jimmy Page's side project "The Firm" back in the day, but it's pretty 'dated'-sounding now. )

I'm not saying Led Zeppelin is bad music - just that it really doesn't do much for me any more.

That said, I am slightly currious to hear the new 3-CD live set that just came out. I'd never buy it, but if I found someone with it, I'd probably want to borrow it for a few days.

The 1970 Royal Albert Hall performance that is on the DVD was basically a silent film in 9 cans of film that Page bought the rights to. Than the remaining 3 members had to get together to watch and figure out what they where playing in the footage. So they could than sync the music they recorded of that performance to the footage being shown.

I'm watching it right now. They did an amazing job of synching it.

I voted for the only one I currently own, BBC (other) which is to me 'led Zep' on a more human scale, which is an oxymoron but there you go...

Led Zeppelin on a human scale? That's the second sacrilege that has now appeared in this thread! ;):g:g

IV is great, but sags a bit with "Stairway to Heaven" (which isn't the classic Plant thinks it is). I had to go for II, which is more of a kick-ass record (and that's what we all want in a rock record, right?). I enjoy III and I, and really like Houses. Half of Physical Graffiti is amazing. The other half is a bore.

Half of Physical Graffiti is amazing. The other half is a bore.

I think I must sadly admit that this could be true... <_<

Haven't voted yet...will soon

The two Circuit City's I checked today were SOLD OUT of the DVD. The 3 cd live set filled my listening time today and it is as they say...totally killer! B)

Half of Physical Graffiti is amazing.  The other half is a bore.

I think I must sadly admit that this could be true... <_<

Gotta agree as well. In fact, I made a CDR of all my favorite tracks from HOUSES & PG which, to these ears, flows so much nicer than the two albums by themselves. (That, and if I have to hear "D'Yer Maker" ONE MORE DAMN TIME...... :rmad::rmad::rmad: )

Anywho, I voted for III, but kinda wish I'd voted for PRESENCE, seeing as how no one's voted for it yet. IMHO, PRESENCE is their most honest album. Maybe that's why it's so underrated. It presents the mighty Zep as...... mortal?!?!?

I'm usually out of step with fans of given bands; for instance I can't stand the Grateful Dead except for Terrapin Station. Deadheads tell me that one doesn't count. With Zep, I prefer III rather than the more popular II, IV, Houses, etc. My next favorite seems to be universally reviled...Presence.

Don't worry, I'm often out of step the same way. My favorite REM album is "Monster", which is often sited as one of their least popular albums (and the AMG only gives it like 2 stars). There are probably other examples I could cite as well, if I thought about it more.

Guest Mnytime

I'm usually out of step with fans of given bands; for instance I can't stand the Grateful Dead except for Terrapin Station.  Deadheads tell me that one doesn't count.  With Zep, I prefer III rather than the more popular II, IV, Houses, etc.  My next favorite seems to be universally reviled...Presence.

I happen to really like Presence. Achilles Last Stand alone is worth getting Presence for and the rest of the songs are not chopped liver.

I have to say I am really surprised that III leads in the voting. I happened to like III but considering all the negative flack the band got after releasing III it is interesting to see it leading now.

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Myself, I find In Through the Out Door to be their weakest. Page's Heroin addiction was at its worse point to the point it's amazing he is still with us now. But at that time his playing was sloppy on the recording at times and it really is John Paul Jones record instead of the usual Jimmy Page lead.

I remember seeing Page at the time and wondering how he was even able to walk let alone play. He was so thin to the point of anorexia. He looked like he was just released from a concentration camp.

Honestly when I had heard someone in Zeppelin had died the first person that came to mind was Page.

Edited by Mnytime

You know Big Al, i actually think that a lot of the stuff on Houses' was intended to be released with stuff from PG, or vice versa... which probably explains why your own compilation sounds so purposeful.

Jazzmoose you're not wrong with III, i think it's because of the more personal nature of the recording; you know, the intro to Friends, the last 2 'jam' tracks and the general 'wildness' of it all --- a quite unique sort of 'wild'. You definately get a sense of 'being there' with this one --- more than the others i'd say.

cheers, tony.

Page was a scarecrow by the time I saw Zep in Germany. This photo was from the second or third to last show they ever played. I flaunt it only because my camera somehow avoided the roadie’s malevolent eye –and because I don’t have any personal photos of the guys I’ve been listening to for the last 20 years.

Funny thing though. In my opinion, Zep was far more accomplished in the studio then they were in person. Live performances were so… haphazard, but the recordings had so many overdubbed guitars that I wonder if Page had trouble condensing the parts into a more cohesive whole? Or maybe it’s because they played so loaded. But then, the audience didn’t seem to mind.

Zeppelin II takes my vote, but it’s hard choice since each album had such individual character.

Aw, c'mon - it's not THAT bad! "In the Evening", "All My Love", "Fool in the Rain", and - admit it, you know you have to - how can you resist the fun that is "Hot Dog"?

Granted, it doesn't hold a candle to II, or the others, but it ain't bad, especially compared to most of it's competition in 1979 (PF The Wall excepted perhaps). And the LP had that cool packaging - brown paper wrapping, and the "paintable" inner sleeve...

Aggie, In the Out Door was one of the albums that made groups like the B-52s, REM, Elvis Costello, Split Enz, etc. such a relief for me to hear. If I had a list of the albums that came out that year, I have no doubt that I could pick out 100 that I prefer to that Led Zep effort.

By the way, I bought it the week it came out. Gave it a few listens, and it then received the honor of being the first recording I ever pitched in the trash. No joke; I couldn't stand it.

Edited by Jazzmoose

Okay, finally voted for Houses of the Holy. The Ocean is a monster! What a riff!!! And I like the shorter songs like D'yer Maker and Dancing Days. Dancing Days is just perfect-impossible to not play air guitar or drums! :)

I avoided voting for the new live "How The West Was Won" but it is right up there! Totally slammin'!

P.S. FYI, I believe the alternate title for Led Zep IV is "Runes", instead of "Ruins".