Rock On with Zep...

tonym

What is your favourite Led Zep album?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Mnytime

You know Big Al, i actually think that a lot of the stuff on Houses' was intended to be released with stuff from PG, or vice versa... which probably explains why your own compilation sounds so purposeful.

Jazzmoose you're not wrong with III, i think it's because of the more personal nature of the recording; you know, the intro to Friends, the last 2 'jam' tracks and the general 'wildness' of it all --- a quite unique sort of 'wild'. You definately get a sense of 'being there' with this one --- more than the others i'd say.

cheers, tony.

Actually your correct. A portion of PG is stuff that was left over from Houses, which is how you have a track called Houses not on the album with the same name but on PG.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mnytime

Page was a scarecrow by the time I saw Zep in Germany. This photo was from the second or third to last show they ever played. I flaunt it only because my camera somehow avoided the roadie’s malevolent eye –and because I don’t have any personal photos of the guys I’ve been listening to for the last 20 years.

Funny thing though. In my opinion, Zep was far more accomplished in the studio then they were in person. Live performances were so… haphazard, but the recordings had so many overdubbed guitars that I wonder if Page had trouble condensing the parts into a more cohesive whole? Or maybe it’s because they played so loaded. But then, the audience didn’t seem to mind.

Zeppelin II takes my vote, but it’s hard choice since each album had such individual character.

Zeppelin live really depended on what year and what part of the tour it was. They always had their best shows in Los Angeles for example. It was there they also would have their longest stays and usually end the tour. The Hyatt on Sunset would than turn into The Riot House.

In Europe it was usually the big festivals that they played their best. I think overall they played their best live in the U.S. and Japan, where they actually bigger than in England and the rest of Europe, except for Germany.

There absolute best live playing was the early years when Page's drug problem hadn't become so bad yet. That's why all the live CD stuff is coming from the early years and from the Ca. concerts. For me this stuff really isn't new since I have all the bootlegs.

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

By the way when I last saw Page he was about 25lbs less than in that picture. So he put on weight when you saw him. He was a skeleton with skin on him when I saw him, which was 3 years before you did.

There last shows in 1980 where

June 30 Festhalle, Frankfurt, Germany

July 2-3 Eisstadion, Mannheim, Germany

July 5 Olympiahalle, Munich, Germany

July 7 Eissporthalle, Berlin, Germany (Final Live Performance)

The last shows I saw them where over their 6 night stand at the Forum from June 21-3, 25-27 1977, with Keith Moon sitting in on the 23rd. My friends and I went to all 6 shows within 5-7ft of the stage depending on the night. They never came to back to the U.S. after that 1977 tour.

Even though Page looked like a skelton somehow whatever it is about Los Angeles that got them going they played amazing all 6 nights.

Bonham and Moon played the drums together on Bonham's kit during Moby Dick.

Oh yea, if you haven't been able to tell I am a Zeppelin fanatic. :D

Edited by Mnytime

I voted for "Houses of the Holy", but I think all the albums from "Physical Grafitti" up to when they first began are excellent. "Presence" doesn't do much for me, but I must say that I think Achilles Last Stand is the greatest Zeppelin song ever.

Mnytime, I’m sure you’re right about the quality of their shows depending on year and venue. 25 pounds lighter? Jeez, and I thought it was comical when I’d read he was sensitive about beginning to develop a belly.

I think your dates on the Mannheim show are a little off. I still have the ticket stub from May (well Ok, “Mai”) 31st. Eisstadion was incredibly tiny, nearly the size of a high school gymnasium. I went to the show with another guy in the service, an over-the-top Zep fanatic and fellow serviceman, and his pimp friend. They had quite the system: To get to the front of the crowd, the pimp would offer hash to whoever was between the stage and us. If they refused, the Zep fanatic would beat the living **** out of ’em. You don’t forget experiences like that.

Rooster Ties & JazzMoose, nice to see I'm in agreement with youse guys!!! :)

While I agree ITTOD is their weakest album, "Carouselambra" remains such a wonderful guilty pleasure!

Just a thought: are there any Zep songs you used to like, but can't stand 'em anymore because of "classic rock" overkill? F'rinstance, I used to really REALLY like "Kashmir," until I heard it for the 7,451,322nd time!!! (Needless to say, it ain't on my aforementioned comp, and just for the record, I did NOT download any of those tunes; took 'em straight off my own personal store-bought copies of the CDs).

Then again, I gagged at "Fool in the Rain" the first time I heard it, and the outright hatred for that song grows every time it's played (which is usually 9 or 10 times a day).

Edited by Big Al

A side note: One of my favorite Zeppelin tracks is their cover of "Travelling Riverside Blues," available on the box set. Why on earth did they leave this song off whatever album they were recording at the time? :unsure:

A side note: One of my favorite Zeppelin tracks is their cover of "Travelling Riverside Blues," available on the box set.  Why on earth did they leave this song off whatever album they were recording at the time? :unsure:

It's a great tune. Who knows why?

I'm hoping that someday that King Bee will come out with better audio then I heard on a bootleg many years ago. It's a Slim Harpo tune that's been covered by Muddy Waters and Capt. Beefheart, among others.

I remember reading an interview with Robert Planet in (the now defunct) Musican magazine where he said he was recording country blues with a National steel guitarist. What happened to that material? And why couldn't he do an album like that with Page? He doesn't have to get into falsetto range and they don't need to use a trap drummer.

Haruuuumph!

:angry:

Edited by 7/4

Got How the West was Won today, and as was said before, it is a totally killer cd. Great sound, and Jimmy Page plays like a true guitar god on this one. Fantastic buy at $19.00 for three cd's (Verve, take note!). Only thing missing was the old 1960's lp admonition "For best sound PLAY LOUD!" Rock on forever Led Zeppelin.

Edited by Matthew

Guest Mnytime

A side note: One of my favorite Zeppelin tracks is their cover of "Travelling Riverside Blues," available on the box set.  Why on earth did they leave this song off whatever album they were recording at the time? :unsure:

It's a great tune. Who knows why?

I'm hoping that someday that King Bee will come out with better audio then I heard on a bootleg many years ago. It's a Slim Harpo tune that's been covered by Muddy Waters and Capt. Beefheart, among others.

I remember reading an interview with Robert Planet in (the now defunct) Musican magazine where he said he was recording country blues with a National steel guitarist. What happened to that material? And why couldn't he do an album like that with Page? He doesn't have to get into falsetto range and they don't need to use a trap drummer.

Haruuuumph!

:angry:

Travelling Riverside Blues is a Robert Johnson song. The reason it was left out at the time was it was recorded as part of the sessions for II. Now which song would you have left out from II to put it on? ;) They just didn't feel it was good enough at the time to be released.

Now in regards to the recording with the steel guitarist I am not sure what happened. But next time I run into him, which is usually anywhere from 1-3 times a year I will ask if you want.

Now the reason he and Page didn't do anything like that is because to be honest he and Page don't exactly get along as much anymore. When they where in Zeppelin, Page was the leader and when the group disbanded Plant got used to being in charge of things. So everytime they get together it becomes a clash of ego's. After the fallout from the Page/Plant thing where Plant just decided he didn't want to go on without telling Page really why things are really cool between them. It must have been interesting for all three of them to get together so they could release the DVD.

Honestly at this stage in their lives as much as I am a huge Zeppelin fan I don't want them to get back together. It's just to late at this stage.

Guest Mnytime

Mnytime, I’m sure you’re right about the quality of their shows depending on year and venue. 25 pounds lighter? Jeez, and I thought it was comical when I’d read he was sensitive about beginning to develop a belly.

I think your dates on the Mannheim show are a little off. I still have the ticket stub from May (well Ok, “Mai”) 31st. Eisstadion was incredibly tiny, nearly the size of a high school gymnasium. I went to the show with another guy in the service, an over-the-top Zep fanatic and fellow serviceman, and his pimp friend. They had quite the system: To get to the front of the crowd, the pimp would offer hash to whoever was between the stage and us. If they refused, the Zep fanatic would beat the living **** out of ’em. You don’t forget experiences like that.

Are you sure about your date? I checked a few of the books I have and a couple of the online site and they don't even have them touring in May in 1980. The last time they are shown to be touring in the Month of May was during the 1977 tour and it was in the U.S.

In fact according to everything I can find they only played live on May 31st 3 times in the history of the group and all 3 times in the U.S. May really is not a Month they toured that much for whatever reason.

31/05/1969 Fillmore East, New York, New York

31/05/1973 The Forum, Inglewood, California-which is the first time I saw them and I still have those tickets. It was actually supposed to be for the 30th and 31st but the 30th show was cancelled. It was rescheduled June 3rd, which I made.

31/05/1977 Coliseum, Greensboro, North Carolina

You can check if you want

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Basem...4/zepptour.html

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Mnytime, I'll double check the date when I get home (several hours from now). I'm certain this isn't my imagination and I'll see if I can attach a scan of the ticket stub.

Hey no need to scan the ticket. I am not saying I don't believe you. I am only saying that having checked 4 different sources now they all give the same dates that I gave above. We are all getting older and the memory is not what it used to be. :D

It's really not that important what date you saw them anyway. It's not like there is some prize awaiting you. ;)

Guest Mnytime

Well of course I am curious. I just didn't want you to think I was calling you a liar or didn't believe you.

Hey, I have enough nutcase/stalkers on my watch as it is. :g:g

Edited by Mnytime

cicuit city has the bes deal this week.  buy both the 3 cd set and the 2 dvd set for $30.  all of the circuit city's around me were sold out, but if you take the add to best buy, they will match the price.  it's really hard to beat.

:o

Shit, I missed that ad.

Target was advertising the CDs and DVDs for $15.99 this week.

Hey wait, the 3-CD set is only 150 minutes long. Why wasn't this put on 2 discs?

(guess there's a sucker born every minute) :angry:

Edited by Tjazz

Guest Mnytime

cicuit city has the bes deal this week.  buy both the 3 cd set and the 2 dvd set for $30.  all of the circuit city's around me were sold out, but if you take the add to best buy, they will match the price.  it's really hard to beat.

:o

Shit, I missed that ad.

Target was advertising the CDs and DVDs for $15.99 this week.

Hey wait, the 3-CD set is only 150 minutes long. Why wasn't this put on 2 discs?

(guess there's a sucker born every minute) :angry:

Let me get this straight your getting 3CDs of excellent new live music for the price of a single CD and you think they are ripping you off? :rolleyes::wacko::wacko::wacko:

The reason it is set up the way it is because they are trying to represent a single show. With the music in the exact order their set list was at that time. To keep it in that order it had to be put over 3CDs instead of 2 so it would fit in that order. Instead of doing what every other big name act would have done they lowered the price to make up for the extra disc.

To make sure it was the best it could be they used what everyone thinks was the two best shows from the 1972 U.S. tour to make a single performance out of it.

A lot of time and effort was put into making sure both the CD and DVD where the best they could be. It took over a year to get the DVD alone done. The Royal Albert Hall portion of the DVD took 6 months alone.

You try watching a silent film of yourself from 30 years ago that is spread out over 9 film cans with no info at all on what is being played. The cans of film not even in the order the performance. Just hap hazardly stored in cans in no particular order. Than having to watch yourself play and figure out which verse of what song your playing/singing. Than sync the audio track you have to the film bit by bit. Taking into account close ups and other things. Like figuring out what your drummer who is no longer there to tell you what he is playing on the footage of him.

Edited by Mnytime

Aggie, In the Out Door was one of the albums that made groups like the B-52s, REM, Elvis Costello, Split Enz, etc. such a relief for me to hear. If I had a list of the albums that came out that year, I have no doubt that I could pick out 100 that I prefer to that Led Zep effort.

By the way, I bought it the week it came out. Gave it a few listens, and it then received the honor of being the first recording I ever pitched in the trash. No joke; I couldn't stand it.

JM - I'd agree with you that ITTOD was probably their weakest original release (though the "posthumous" Coda is worse IMO). I still somehow manage to enjoy it, in spite of having heard "Fool in the Rain" 3 million times too many. I think I liked it precisely because it's so different than the previous Zep albums - it had a different color to it. I had a couple of buddies also who were big Zep fans, and they even went so far as to track down all 6 (or was it 8?) different versions of the album cover, which was just different pictures of the same bar scene.

And it sounds like I turned into a big R.E.M. fan about the same time as you apparently (actually when "Reckoning" was first released). Stayed with them for a long time - in fact was even in their fan club just to get the X-Mas 45's for a long time. But I've sold off most of their recordings (including the numerous boots I had for a while) - for some reason they don't do that much for me anymore. NAIHF was the last album of theirs that I truly enjoyed.

Guest Mnytime

I don't remember if I brought this up before. Robert Plant is working on his own solo anthology due before the end of the year. It will not only have material from his solo recordings, but more interesting for me at least it will include material from his Band of Joy days with John Bonham.

Guest Mnytime

Interesting. Now here is a question. Is it possible that the concert was originally scheduled for that date for whatever reason cancelled and rescheduled with the original tickets still being good? That's what happened to me for the May 30th show when it was cancelled. I just used that ticket for the June 3rd replacement show.

You might try informing those that list the tour dates about yours.

Edited by Mnytime