Rock On with Zep...

tonym

What is your favourite Led Zep album?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Mnytime

i'm not disputing soundscans number of units sold, i'm clarifying that they count the number of cd's sold. so that the 220,000 units translates into only 73,000 paying customers. this was how garth brookes planned to outsell the beatles. he repackaged his first 6 releases into a 6 cd box, but it only had a $40+ list price. each box counted as 6 cd's. he also sold his 2 cd live cd for the price of a single cd. he's a tricky little bastard, but the beatles released "1," and now garth will never catch them.

That's what Garth might be doing but from what I understand it's 220,000 paying customers.

There are actually many tricks that labels do. For example for Mariah and Whitney to make sure their singles become #1 when first released they will have them selling for anywhere from .39-.69 cents in places like Wal-Mart. Than after they are #1 and the rush is on they raise the price to the normal price. That way getting their Big Name Stars a sure #1.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...

Just for the heck of it, and because when I thought about, Kim Gordon is right! Taken from Entertainment Weekly (I know, but :P ).

Led Zeppelin IV: "A real palate cleanser. Very California. Joni Mitchell influences all over the place on the guitar playing."

Just for the heck of it, and because when I thought about, Kim Gordon is right! Taken from Entertainment Weekly (I know, but :P ).

Led Zeppelin IV: "A real palate cleanser. Very California. Joni Mitchell influences all over the place on the guitar playing."

Given all of the yourmusic folks here we could probably start an Entertainment Weekly Corner. :lol: I must admit, I *almost* look forward to it's arrival (not waiting by the mailbox mind you), and I don't even have cable tv.

I just tipped Physical Graffiti over the top. :w

:tup:tup I helped, too! (I just voted a few minutes ago.)

I've got Physical Graffiti on vinyl -- Ten Years Gone, Custard Pie, The Rover, Trampled Under Foot, Kashmir.... how could anyone vote for anything else?? :cool::);)

Edited by Uncle Skid

:tup:tup I helped, too! (I just voted a few minutes ago.)

I've got Physical Graffiti on vinyl -- Ten Years Gone, Custard Pie, The Rover, Trampled Under Foot, Kashmir.... how could anyone vote for anything else?? :cool::);)

"The Rover" should be played extremely LOUD!!!! :tup :tup :tup

IV is great, but sags a bit with "Stairway to Heaven" (which isn't the classic Plant thinks it is). I had to go for II, which is more of a kick-ass record (and that's what we all want in a rock record, right?). I enjoy III and I, and really like Houses. Half of Physical Graffiti is amazing. The other half is a bore.

I dig In My Time of Dying. But disk two is wierd, circus music. Led Zep 2 is my favorite, then comes Houses of the Holy, then 1, and that's the only Zep albums I ever heard..

Given all of the yourmusic folks here we could probably start an Entertainment Weekly Corner. :lol: I must admit, I *almost* look forward to it's arrival (not waiting by the mailbox mind you), and I don't even have cable tv.

I admit it, Entertainment Weekly was my Yourmusic choice. :blush:

Oh man...Zeppelin I by a country mile. This was the raw, unaffected Zep, before they took themselves too seriously. Great blues ("I Can't Quit You Babe") some Eastern influenced finger picking ("Black Mountain Side") and two of the all-time great kick-ass rockers, "Dazed and Confused" and "How Many More Times". All that and more and it was recorded in less than a single day. I liked songs from II and III too, most notably "Whole Lotta Love" and "The Lemon Song" from II and maybe their best ever slow blues "Since I've Been Lovin' You" from III, but for sheer, knock your socks off, unadulterated power, the first one beats the rest of 'em like a rented mule. Anything after IV (and that only because of "Stairway") doesn't do anything for me at all.

I was fortunate enough to see LZ three times in Portland; May of 1969, March of 1970 and the last time in June of 1972. The two things I remember the most were Jimmy Page playing his guitar with a violin bow and the Ricky Nelson medley they did the first time I saw them. You haven't lived until you've heard Robert Plant do "Hello Mary Lou".

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James