Jaime Foxx as Ray Charles

JSngry

All in all I think this a very good flick and definitely worth seeing. Jamie Foxx is MORE than good and he deserves all the kudos that have come his way (and hopefully continue to come his way.) I agree with Jim that it's Hollywoodized to a certain extent, but heyyy...that's what Hollywood does.

Usually movies about musicians tend to really annoy me and this one didn't.

The thing to do is see this flick AND the O Genio DVD.

So, who plays Fathead?

I spoke to Fathead about the movie a few weeks ago when I saw him. He really thought the film was good and that Jamie Fox was outstanding. I asked about his character and he thought it was over the top, as Hollywood is know for but didn't say much more.

• 1 month later...

Not to minimize Foxx's achievement (it was an amazing performance), but he really had the Oscar locked up for a number of reasons. First of all, he played a handicapped character. Oscar LOVES handicapped characters. From Daniel Day-Lewis in "My Left Foot" to Dustin Hoffman in "Rain Man," when an actor plays a character with a disability, he's got the award locked up. Secondly, Ray Charles is beloved by all. That would be like someone playing Mother Theresa. You KNOW they're gonna get the Oscar...

I don't think it's so much about Ray Charles being handicapped as it was about Foxx capturing all the nuances of the man. Even the hyper, seemingly perpetual motion that Ray Charles had were perfectly realized, I thought as I watched the film.

It's a challenge to play a character who was so well known as well as Foxx played Ray Charles. It could have ended up being an homage [as Kevin Spacey's portrayal of Bobby Darin in "Beyond the Sea" was.]

That's not to knock Spacey, but to me a biographical film must make me believe that they are the character they play and Jamie did that, at least for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to minimize Foxx's achievement (it was an amazing performance), but he really had the Oscar locked up for a number of reasons.  First of all, he played a handicapped character.  Oscar LOVES handicapped characters.  From Daniel Day-Lewis in "My Left Foot" to Dustin Hoffman in "Rain Man," when an actor plays a character with a disability, he's got the award locked up.  Secondly, Ray Charles is beloved by all. That would be like someone playing Mother Theresa.  You KNOW they're gonna get the Oscar...

I'd love to be able to refute your comments but then I thought of Al Pacino's ridiculous hammed-up performance in SCENT OF A WOMAN (1992) which got him an Oscar, and I reluctantly concede that you may have a point. You can also add Oscar winners Jon Voight (COMING HOME - 1978), Tom Hanks (FORREST GUMP - 1994), and Geoffrey Rush (SHINE - 1996).

Edited by MartyJazz

Alexander does have a point, but in this particular case Foxx really does deserve it. When you watch the movie, you forget that you're watching an actor. It really is Ray up there on the screen.

Oh, I'm sure it's great. RAY is high up on my Netflix queue, I am anxious to see it.

Alexander does have a point, but in this particular case Foxx really does deserve it. When you watch the movie, you forget that you're watching an actor. It really is Ray up there on the screen.

I agree. Foxx really DID deserve the Oscar. I'm just saying that the Oscars are given for any number of reasons that have nothing to do with acting or talent. And that the role of Ray Charles fulfilled all of the criteria for an Oscar win, no matter who played him or how well they did.

My wife and I bought "Ray" on DVD when it came out a little while back, and I've watched it (in both versions) a couple of times since then. The movie itself is good, not great, and it is really a highly simplified and inaccurate film bio. But for Foxx's performance, it wouldn't be worth owning. But Jamie Foxx is SO extraordinary in that role, you can't take your eyes off of him. Which is good, because he's in every scene (and virtually every shot)! It's really the most challenging role I can imagine. If they had gotten some hack to play that role, the movie would've been literally unwatchable.

But let's give props to some of the other performances in the film. The actress who played Della Bea (Ray's wife) was wonderfully understated and sympathetic. The actresses who played Mary Ann Fisher and Margie Hendrix also had their work cut out for them. It would have been very easy for both roles to quickly devolve into shillness, but they managed to keep the peformances compelling. I know there was some criticism of the actor who played Fathead, but I thought he was very solid. The actor who played the bass player (Fathead's fellow junkie from Lowell Fulsome's band) had a nice edge. And let's not forget Curtis Armstrong's amazing performance as Ahmet Ertegun! The bit where he sings "Mess Around" is priceless!