Anyone know what happened to cheap-cs.com?

I don't know, but I'll add a parallel question...

Anybody know what happened to www.auctionstealer.com ????

I used to use them for auction-sniping every now and then, and they went bye-bye sometime since about a week ago. (I had an auction all ready to be sniped, and then my bid was never sent. I went to 'auctionstealer', only to discover that there was no 'auctionstealer' anymore.)

Did you get the email from auctionstealer? About "better change your eBay password"? Here's the text:

In February of 2003, the Slammer Worm (virus) caused major problems for both large and small internet companies. During that time, we discovered an active attack against our system and informed our customers. We acted quickly and closed down the threat. This week, however, we learned that some eBay passwords were compromised.

Some of you received an email stating that your credit card information has been stolen. Rest assured, YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION HAS NOT been jeopardized as it is not part of our records. The only item that may have been compromised is your eBay password.

In response to the attack on our systems, we've performed a security audit. It determined that there are no current security holes and the last time any existed was approximately four months ago. We have taken additional steps to improve our existing security measures and performance. There are no security deficiencies that would put your information and our systems at risk.

To protect yourself CHANGE YOUR EBAY PASSWORD IMMEDIATELY and any other password that is the same as your eBay password. This is quick and easy.

They are still down this morning. This is not good. Cheap-CDs has been my most used on-line store over the last 3 years. And their service was generally very good. I tried calling their phone no. 1-888-549-8800, and there was no response, though that may be because I live in Canada. Perhaps someone in the U.S. could try it and see what happens.

Guest Chaney

John: I just dialed that number from Buffalo, New York.

No one answers the phone -- and no automatic greeting.

The phone just rings without answer.

This is strange in a way. I received a CD from cheap-cds yesterday and last week anyway they were still replenishing their stock and getting new releases in stock. Anyway, I can't imagine that a company which lives by internet sales can afford 3 or 4 days downtime. So I guess we have to assume that cheap-cds. com is history. Another dot.com bust. Unfortunately in this case, I would say.

Can Board members kindly suggest similar sites where CD's can be purchased relatively cheaply?

Thanks

This is strange in a way.  I received a CD from cheap-cds yesterday and  last week anyway they were still replenishing their stock and getting new releases in stock. Anyway, I can't imagine that a company which lives by internet sales can afford 3 or 4 days downtime. So I guess we have to assume  that cheap-cds. com is history. Another dot.com bust. Unfortunately in this case, I would say.

Can Board members kindly suggest similar sites where CD's can be purchased relatively cheaply?

Thanks

I wish they carried more titles, but http://www.deepdiscountcd.com has some good prices... some that are just crazy cheap...haven't tried to order it yet, but they have a Bear family Ella Mae Morse set for $67, and Amazon is asking something like $137 for the same set!!! I have used their sister site, http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/ more, and have had no problems...and gotten films 40% off what amazon has shown the retail as....

PS, if someone does sign up with them, yes for some reason you need to sign up separately for both sites...

Edited by BERIGAN

Guest Chaney

This posted on May 28, 2003 on the ICE board by "Mike" :

I noticed they were down too. I just did a look up at register.com and called the listed number 714-670-7680. The message said, "We're going to be out of town for a week so please leave a message."

I haven't been able to get on their site since Sunday. I received a package from them yesterday, but only one of the three cds that I ordered came through. I'm at a loss to find a place to get more Ravi Shankar cds for such a CHEAP price!