Modern Rock - what do you like???

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my sister told me about interpol quite a while ago, before their album came out.  she used to work with the brother of one of the members.  It is a really enjoyable album.

I was lucky enough to hear Interpol when they played live here in Kansas City, back in January. They were really incredible, despite the fact that they played all the tunes - note for note - exactly the same as they were on the record. Still, their energy and charisma was unmatched by any rock band I've seen in the last 5 or even 10 years.

Interpol will be interesting to follow, especially to hear what they do for a follow-up album. I have a theory that they could be the next "Radiohead", but that's still pretty iffy at this point. Still, they've had as good a debut rock album by any band I think I've ever heard in the last 20 years. The only thing I have even think of that comes close, as far as a debut showing THAT much potential, was maybe Living Colour's first album.

TOOL

Have you heard Maynard James Keenan's side project A Perfect Circle? At the moment their only release has been Mer de Noms.

Of course. In fact the Perfect Circle band has been doing some switcheroos and should have an album out this year! w00t! Trent Reznor and Maynard have a side project going too, called Tapeworm. That might also be out this year.

*Fans may be interested to know Mer de Noms translates to Sea of Names.

Guest Mnytime

TOOL

Have you heard Maynard James Keenan's side project A Perfect Circle? At the moment their only release has been Mer de Noms.

Of course. In fact the Perfect Circle band has been doing some switcheroos and should have an album out this year! w00t! Trent Reznor and Maynard have a side project going too, called Tapeworm. That might also be out this year.

I didn't know about the Reznor colaboration.

Myself I am really waiting for the latest Tool recording. Though I have no idea if they are still having legal problems with their label, which is why it took so long for the last one to come out.

Edited by Mnytime

Okay, I knew I'd think of more...can't believe I forgot...

Oasis-Oh man! I LOVE THIS BAND...SO MUCH!!! I believe that Noel Gallagher writes great songs. He was so prolific in the early days of the band. One really needs to hear all of the B-sides of their singles to get the full story on this band. The sheer quantity and quality of the songs is staggering. Some people like to call their music "derivative" (sp?) but I believe it to be more of an 'homage' to other bands, i.e. Beatles, Stones, etc. I dig all their stuff. These guys ARE rock and roll. Guitars cranked up to 11! Snarling lead singer! Yes, some songs are goofy, such as the lyrics for "Some Might Say", but they're so fun to sing, it doesn't matter!

The multi-channel mix on the SACD of "(What's The Story?) Morning Glory" is a mindblower! Very different than the stereo mix.

The Black Crowes-When I first heard this band, I was in the middle of a Rolling Stones revival. Had been digesting the newly released "Singles Collection" box, but when I heard "Jealous Again" on the radio, I thought "Oh, man! What a kick-ass new Stones song!" When I discovered it was a new band, I raced to the record store to grab "Shake Your Money Maker". Totally awesome!!! Shit, they do the Stones better than the Stones do the Stones! Like their second record too, but they seemed to kinda lose it after that...haven't followed them as closely since.

That's all for now...I know I could say much more about Oasis. I highly recommend them...my kinda music! :)

My wife really likes Dave Matthews, Soundgarden, Audioslave, and (to a lesser extent) Metallica.

And so, I've learned to find things to like in all of them, though it's painful to sit through the sax solos on the live Dave Matthews albums. (I've heard bad trombone players with better intonation. :lol: ) But Matthews is a good songwriter and singer, and he's grown on me more than I would have predicted. I think I've heard him live about 4 times, and they've all been pretty good concerts, considering I'm not exactly a DMB fanatic.

Soundgarden is OK, and I'm liking the new Audioslave pretty well - although to me it sounds more like another Soundgarden album, without enough Rage Against The Machine, and I was hoping for more from them, but maybe next time... (I don't have any "Rage..." yet, but keep meaning to get some. The few singles I've heard I've liked.)

I think the only Metallica we have is the double-live disc with the San Fransisco Symphony Orchestra. I like the overall 'sound' of Metallica just fine, but musically - they just don't do that much for me. I tire of the lack of 'harmonic' movement in the music, both from tune to tune, and also within tunes. (It's like they only play in one color, black.)

I used to dig the Black Crowes too, Parkertown. I even dug their super-stoner phase.

I thought they were great until around '97 when they fired their lead guitarist, Marc Ford. Their album that followed, By Your Side, really seemed like a huge sellout to me.

Their album, Amorica, was my favorite.

:rsmile:

Parkertown,

My favorite track off Amorica is Wiser Time. I think this is one of those albums were almost every track is good. I really think this album was their peak.

The songs are good and the production is really good too. If you don't have it, I hope you give it a chance sometime.

The cover is funky. My wife looks at me funny when I play this cd.

I'm just glad the photo isn't of a dude. Ooof!!

:rfr:rlol

Guest Mnytime

Okay, I knew I'd think of more...can't believe I forgot...

Oasis-Oh man! I LOVE THIS BAND...SO MUCH!!! I believe that Noel Gallagher writes great songs. He was so prolific in the early days of the band. One really needs to hear all of the B-sides of their singles to get the full story on this band. The sheer quantity and quality of the songs is staggering. Some people like to call their music "derivative" (sp?) but I believe it to be more of an 'homage' to other bands, i.e. Beatles, Stones, etc. I dig all their stuff. These guys ARE rock and roll. Guitars cranked up to 11! Snarling lead singer! Yes, some songs are goofy, such as the lyrics for "Some Might Say", but they're so fun to sing, it doesn't matter!

The multi-channel mix on the SACD of "(What's The Story?) Morning Glory" is a mindblower! Very different than the stereo mix.

The Black Crowes-When I first heard this band, I was in the middle of a Rolling Stones revival. Had been digesting the newly released "Singles Collection" box, but when I heard "Jealous Again" on the radio, I thought "Oh, man! What a kick-ass new Stones song!" When I discovered it was a new band, I raced to the record store to grab "Shake Your Money Maker". Totally awesome!!! Shit, they do the Stones better than the Stones do the Stones! Like their second record too, but they seemed to kinda lose it after that...haven't followed them as closely since.

That's all for now...I know I could say much more about Oasis. I highly recommend them...my kinda music! :)

Oasis is way past derivative for me. More like straight out plagiarism. ;) Not sure how anyone gets song writing credits in Oasis. Gallagher wouldn't no an original tune if it bit him. “Let’s see which Beatles’ song can I copy for the next album.” ;)

Now the Crowes I would call derivative.

Guest Mnytime

I think the only Metallica we have is the double-live disc with the San Fransisco Symphony Orchestra. I like the overall 'sound' of Metallica just fine, but musically - they just don't do that much for me. I tire of the lack of 'harmonic' movement in the music, both from tune to tune, and also within tunes. (It's like they only play in one color, black.)

Ok this I really don't understand. The reason they where so much different than every other Speed Metal group was that they did have harmonic movement as well as played with time signature. It was definitely not only one "black" sound. I would suggest giving a listen to Master of Puppets, And Justice For All, Ride The Lighting.

I know the Crowes were derivative, but I still think they made some enjoyable music.

As for Oasis, I agree they knew their Beatles well and they are pretty annoying people, but some of their songs were pretty good. I didn't like them when they were popular, but I really liked their Standing on the Shoulders of Giants cd from a couple years ago. The reviews weren't great for it, but I dug it.

TOOL

I saw A Perfect Circle on the last date of their only tour. It was awesome. The drummer had chops to burn, and he was taking risks with these fills and rolls that were working. They were a tight unit after being on tour, and you could tell they were happy to be done touring, as the performance was joyous.

My favorite Tool album would have to be Undertow. The production on that record is amazing. The bottom end on that seems bottomless it was so deep. I love how many of the tempos were slow but heavy as hell. And Maynard's voice is top-notch. I definitely missed that punishing production style missing on the later records. It might have something to do with them hiring a bass player who played only 4-string rahter than 5-string bass.

Some people like to call their music "derivative" (sp?) but I believe it to be more of an 'homage' to other bands, i.e. Beatles, Stones, etc.  I dig all their stuff. 

Oasis is way past derivative for me. More like straight out plagiarism. ;) Not sure how anyone gets song writing credits in Oasis. Gallagher wouldn't no an original tune if it bit him. “Let’s see which Beatles’ song can I copy for the next album.” ;)

See, and then some feel this way about them! :D

Still, I love 'em! Call it a guilty pleasure. B) That I can't get enough of!

Oh and Mnytime, I'd love to hear some specific examples of what you mean; song to song. But I feel like they borrow from a lot more bands than just The Beatles.

Love this picture:

11top.jpg

Guest Mnytime

I know the Crowes were derivative, but I still think they made some enjoyable music.

As for Oasis, I agree they knew their Beatles well and they are pretty annoying people, but some of their songs were pretty good. I didn't like them when they were popular, but I really liked their Standing on the Shoulders of Giants cd from a couple years ago. The reviews weren't great for it, but I dug it.

AfricaBrass & Parkertown

Just want to make sure that you know I am not busting on your tastes. I am only speaking for myself. I just didn't understand the whole Oasis craze at the beginning of their career. Than the Gallagher brothers mocking the Beatles and claiming they where not in anyway derivative of the Beatles was just idiotic.

Clinton

Never got to see A Perfect Circle live thought I had tickets but was called back for surgery. I have seen Tool though 4 times and they where each excellent shows. Part of the Tool experience is waiting to see what unique look Keenan's was going to have. I have met him a couple times and he really is highly intelligent and interesting to say the least. ;)

My favorite recording would be Aenima.

I really enjoy Tool's videos. Each one is really a work of art and so completely different than any other video others are doing.

Actually had a neighbor at an Apt I was living at the time call the police complaining about my playing "Nazi" propaganda loudly. Tool's Die Eier Von Satan off of Aenima was the track in question. I had to explain to the Police it was only a recipe of The Eggs/Balls of Satan, which as best as I can make out from the recipe having never tried it sounds like some form of donut ball. With a bit of Turkish Hash. Though I didn't mention that part to the Police. ;) Never heard a complaint from the neighbor again no matter what I played or how loud. :D

I still get dirty looks from other drivers whenever this comes on and I have my car window open while listening to it.

Mnytime,

No offense here. Those Gallagher bros. were pretty stupid when they claimed they were as good as the Beatles. I think Liam thought he was the second coming of John Lennon. :P

For me, it was just nice to hear that kind of music on the radio again. There isn't a lot of stuff on the radio anymore that does anything for me.

Okay, I didn't have time to read anyone's posts yet so sorry if I'm being redundant.

I like Grant Lee Phillips/Grant Lee Buffalo, Medicine, My Bloody Valentine, Yo La Tengo, Portishead, Grandaddy, Mercury Rev (sometimes), Radiohead, Pixies...

That's all I can think of for right now. The only two ones I recommend checking out are Grant Lee Phillips (pop) or Grandaddy (um, Silly Space Rock...)

Guest Mnytime

Mnytime,

No offense here. Those Gallagher bros. were pretty stupid when they claimed they were as good as the Beatles. I think Liam thought he was the second coming of John Lennon. :P

For me, it was just nice to hear that kind of music on the radio again. There isn't a lot of stuff on the radio anymore that does anything for me.

Actually what they claimed was that they where better than the Beatles. :rolleyes: That's when they where not saying they in no way at all sounded in anyway like The Beatles. :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

I always thought that the Black Crowes were Rod Stewart Faces clones - who were themselves Stones wannabes (it's no accident that Ronnie Wood became a Stone). Not being a fan of any of those groups, I will reserve comment otherwise. B)

The Smiths had a great sound. They managed to pull off a striking combination of Morrisey's angst-ridden vocals and Johnny Marr's upbeat music. They did get a little tiresome towards the end and it was probably a good thing that they broke up, but those first 5 or 6 albums are classics.

Edited by BFrank

Thought of another one. My wife really likes Fiona Apple, and although I found her first album a little less meaty than I would have liked (although my wife really likes it) - I do really like her second album quite a bit, and I look forward to her future releases.

No order, and off the top of my head:

Nirvana

Pavement (through S&E)

Drive Like Jehu

Big Black

Shellac

Circus Lupus (I'm willing to listen to most Dischord groups)

Radiohead (I was really surprised when I caught myself singing their songs in my head the day after my girlfriend played OK Computer for me - never would have thought in a million years that I'd get into something like that)

Edited by J Larsen