What can't you get enough of?

Daniel A

Not often, but sometimes, I get almost obsessed with a certain tune, to the extent that I just have to put it on again and again - and discover that it still is as exciting as the first time!

Since I found the Hank Jones album 'Have You Met Hank Jones?' two months ago after a long search, I've felt an urge to listen to the track 'Have You Met Miss Jones?' at least a couple a times a week, and often I can't even resist to play it through two times in a row. It's hard to say exactly what it is that compells me so much, but Hank's playing is so beautiful and heartfelt beyond the controlled surface that it moves me each time.

I have now recorded the album to MiniDisc to avoid wearing out the LP? This hasn't been out on CD has it?

So what have brought you to the 'Repeat' button again and again lately?

Since i got hold of Enrico Rava's album 'The Pilgrim & the Stars' a few months back i keep hearing that lovely bit on Blancasnow where the maelstrom from the rhythm section dies down revealing a simple bassline riff and a gorgeous coda. Perfect way to end an album.

Obviously. this is a reccurring phenomenon for many music fans; i can think of loads....

The intro to Autumn Leaves on 'Somethin' Else' --- again Hank Jones!

A fair few moments from Focus by Stan Getz --- mostly 'A Summer Afternoon' & 'I Remember When'.

The intro to 'In the Light' by Led Zep. --- about as proggy as i get without reaching for a very old, well fingered copy of 'Out of the Blue' by ELO. God i'll be persecuted for this if i go on much longer....or have i said enough?

Off the top of the head:

· Ellington’s “Half the Fun” and “E St. Louis Toodle-Oo”

· Coltrane’s “Crescent”

· Rollin’s “Blue Seven”

· Blakey’s “Ping Pong” and “Paper Moon”

· Mingus’ “Scenes In the City”

These do it every time.

Here's a couple off the top of my head

Lee Morgan's 8 bar solo break on 'Locomotion' from Blue Train - I remember rewinding that puppy about 20 times the first time I heard the album......still makes me cringe

'Softly as a Morning Sunrise' from Unity This band has such a great chemistry and when Elvin changes from brushes to sticks as Joe Henderson's solo starts, I get that "Oh YEAH" feeling. :excited:

Horace Silver "Sighin' & Cryin'"

Sonny Criss "Angel Eyes"

Lee Fields "All By Myself"

Roland Kirk "Now Please Don't You Cry, Beautiful Edith"

Ivan 'Boogaloo Joe' Jones "Sweetback"

Johnny 'Hammond' Smith "Dig On It"

Wes Montgomery "Mellow Mood"

Freddie Hubbard "Povo"

McCoy Tyner "Contemplation"

Herbie Hancock "Mimosa"

To give the question a serious answer:

There was that afternoon I spent about four hours playing Mobley's version of Recado Bossa Nova over and over and over, working myself into a frenzy. I dunno; it was like I was possessed. Harold Mabern, Jr. just wouldn't let my brain go... :wacko:

I've got a few that never seem to get old.

The solos of Lee Morgan, and Wayne Shorter on "The Gigolo."

Lee Morgan and McCoy Tyner on Mobley's "The Morning After."

I listen to both of these tracks at least once or twice per week.

Tina Brooks doing "The Ruby And The Pearl" on Back to The Tracks is another one.

Some of my more current purchases that have hit me hard....

Charles McPherson on Barengo off the Barry Harris date "Bulls Eye."

Bill Evans - Autumn Leaves

Jimmy Heath and Carmell Jones - Jay Hawk Talk

Red, that's an interesting choice! I just played those tracks today. They haven't sunk in with me as much as Les Stances a Sophie has, but I'll work on it.

Tracks I can't get enough of:

• "Hey Hey" from Lift Every Voice. I love Carlos Garnett on this. I sometimes repeat (using the A/B repeat function) his opening phrase!

• "Raouf" from Roland Kirk's Slightly Latin. This whole album is wonderful (and, incidentally, not too dissimilar from Lift Every Voice). There is not a single album — at all — that I can think of that matches the components of this one. You get amazing Kirk solos on tenor, kazoo, and baritone saxophone, a hip (and not intrusive) vocal choir, a Bacharach cover, a Beatles cover (that even Lon surely loves ;)), and some "found" musical additions (e.g. taped voice). If you don't have this album, I think Dusty Groove was/is recently selling this for something like $7.99. Ridiculous! Subliminal Message: Album of the Week in July, Album of the Week in July.

• Jim Morrison singing just this phrase: "I eat more chicken any man ever seen!"

:party:

A few of my latest obsessions...

Sonny Stitt- Harlem Nocturne (Version on the Mosaic Box)

Howard Alden & Jack Lesberg- Dancers In Love (Over looked Ellington song IMHO. This version really shows off the maestro's composition)

Oliver Nelson & Company- Stolen Moments (I'm always hooked after the first two bars!)

Robert Cray- Tollin' Bells (Haunting Willie Dixon tune done up proper by "Young Bob")

Kenny Burrell- His solo on "The Sermon"

The Ventures- Walk Don't Run, 1964 version (Who said that polkas and surf music don't mix?)

One cut we talked about at the BNBB was Mary Lou Williams' take on "It Ain't Neccessarily So." When I throw that comp on, I HAVE to listen to it at least a few times. It is sublime.

"Let the Music Take your MInd" from Grant Green's Alive. Idris is sooo funky on that I can't stand it. Late period Grant Green at its best.

"Golden Rain" from Bobo Stenson's Serenity. Again, sublime.

"Half and Half" from Jimmy Garrison/Elvin Jones' Illumination. Charles Davis is absolutely on fire.

"Western Suite" from the Jimmy Giuffre album of the same name. Inventive, melodic, and spontaneous.

for starters... :g

• 1 year later...

There was that afternoon I spent about four hours playing Mobley's version of Recado Bossa Nova over and over and over, working myself into a frenzy. I dunno; it was like I was possessed. Harold Mabern, Jr. just wouldn't let my brain go... :wacko:

I have done exactly this more than once. Who is the trumpet player on this? Is it Freddie?

A couple I recall being so new/different/beautiful to me that I played them constantly for a long time were:

Armstrong: St. James Infirmary from Satchmo Plays King Oliver

Gene Ammons: Hip Tip from Blue Gene

Burrell: Mule from Midnight Blue

Nat King Cole: Million Dollar Baby from The Very Thought Of You

There was that afternoon I spent about four hours playing Mobley's version of Recado Bossa Nova over and over and over, working myself into a frenzy.  I dunno; it was like I was possessed.  Harold Mabern, Jr. just wouldn't let my brain go... :wacko:

I have done exactly this more than once. Who is the trumpet player on this? Is it Freddie?

Lee Morgan.

This happened to me when I got Johnny Griffin's "The Congregation" (beautiful Conn LP edition). The opening cut is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooofreakin'gooooooooooooooooooood! I listened to it endlessly. Made a copy to MD of it as well, and listened to it till I could sing Griff's solo. Clarke then, is great, too. And that drummer, unknown to me otherwise) lays a real good groove!

This happened to me when I got Johnny Griffin's "The Congregation". ....... And that drummer (unknown to me otherwise) lays a real good groove!

Ironically, this drummer - who recorded with Sonny's Stitt and Rollins - was criticized even by Michael Cuscuna of not being up to par with the rest of the band.

Strangely this is one of the Griffin's I never really warmed up with - even after several attempts.

This happened to me when I got Johnny Griffin's "The Congregation". ....... And that drummer (unknown to me otherwise) lays a real good groove!

Ironically, this drummer - who recorded with Sonny's Stitt and Rollins - was criticized even by Michael Cuscuna of not being up to par with the rest of the band.

Strangely this is one of the Griffin's I never really warmed up with - even after several attempts.

I guess I understand why one could be of that opinion, but somehow this LP really clicked with me, when I heard it the first time. Griffin's solo is terrific!